SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 773 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Isn't the stadium a bit too big? I can't imagine almost 70k people watching a game of the Hungarian National Team. During the World Cup 2018 Qualification their 22k stadium was not always sold out. So there would have to be almost 50k people more per game to fill the new stadium.
I know it will also be used for concerts and other events but I think it would economically make more sense if the capacity of the stadium would be between 40k - 50k with a retractable roof like for example in Warsaw, Amsterdam or Gelsenkirchen/Schalke so they could also host events during the cold months and wouldn't be dependent on the weather conditions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably the reason behind this size is the politicians can steal more out from this big stadium :)
Hungary has big football traditions, if we would have a good national team (like we had during the EURO2016) we could fill even more than 70k. Usually the 22k is too small for qalification games, obviously what you see is the resoult of loosing in Andorra...
My point of view is that we need a big national stadium, what we dont need is all those small towns getting stadiums nowadays, instead of hospitals, schools, etc..

·
Registered
32,994 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I hope so. It seems like in terms of facilities this stadium will certainly not be worse than Wanda Metropolitano, which won the bid for 2019. Budapest is also a very nice city to stay. If they bid, they can win. 2021 would be the first chance because they host the euros already in 2020.

If they're up against the renovated Luzhniki stadium in Moscow, one of the best stadiums in Europe, it'll be very difficult to win by the way.

·
Registered
32,994 Posts
^^ Correct. But stadium deserves a CL-final and I am sure that in the early 2020's this stadium will be 'rewarded' with the honour to host a CL-final. If the Hungarian FA really supports that major event they sure have a worthy stadium for hosting it. :)

121 - 140 of 773 Posts