SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Budapest - capital of Hungary. Beginning of the city we know today is in 1872 when Buda Obuda and Pest were connected to form Budapest, but city is dated back to Roman days.
In this post I will present Buda side - Matthias church and Fisherman's Bastion.

View to the Pest side over the Danube from Fisherman's Bastion

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very very nice. Thanx.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Budapest is wonderful , but Vienna and Frankfurt is the best (my opinion).
Cześć/Ahoj Well Vienna is cleaner but pretty similar when it comes to architecture but doesn't have this charming landscape of Budapest - hills, and Danube cutting city half (in Vienna river is almost unvisible). Frankfurt :) yes i like Frankfurt but you can't compare those 2 cites Frankfurt is modern financial centre Budapest is monumental, nostalgic, historical city ;) 2 different things :p :nuts:

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
A Budapest thread. Very nice. It has always fascinated me. :)

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
It's fascinating me too :) Have you been to Budapest?
No! Unfortunately I have never been there. I used to look at maps of Hungary when I was growing up and it is interesting to me - a city in the middle of Europe with a remarkable history.

I have visited Germany and planned to go on to Hungary - but did not have enough time.

I read a book called Budapest 1900 by John Lukacs. It is excellent.

www.barnesandnoble.com

Also our family has friends from Hungary who came to the US when they were very young in 1956. They have many photos.

Someday I will go. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No! Unfortunately I have never been there. I used to look at maps of Hungary when I was growing up and it is interesting to me - a city in the middle of Europe with a remarkable history.

I have visited Germany and planned to go on to Hungary - but did not have enough time.

I read a book called Budapest 1900 by John Lukacs. It is excellent.

Also our family has friends from Hungary who came to the US when they were very young in 1956. They have many photos.

Someday I will go. :)
Definitely go! But be careful, you might get touched by the atmosphere of the city and decide to move there as me :)
Book seems to be interesting, will check it out :)

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
Definitely go! But be careful, you might get touched by the atmosphere of the city and decide to move there as me :)
That is a big change! It looks like a magical place. It is at the top of my list. :)

Book seems to be interesting, will check it out :)
I enjoyed it. Lukacs escaped from the Russians when they entered Hungary in 1945 and came to the US. He loves the city as one who knows it. :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts