1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budapest experience

Here are some pictures from my time in Budapest (I lived there for 14 months
in 2002/2003). Unfortunately, the quality suffers since they are all scanned
photographs and not negatives. But, you'll get the idea.

Parliament

Danube

A Flood

Street Scenes

Serbian Church (on Szerb Utca)

A New Theatre (no comment)

A New University Building

I lived in this block of flats on Ujpesti Rakpart

View from my balcony

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,356 Posts
thanks!

is the place where you lived close to Hotel Helia? The buildings around it where very nice and I would love to live in such nice homes by Danube.

I've heard some story about that new theater. That it had some sound problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hotel Helia (a spa hotel) was located around the far end of my panoramic, maybe 1 kilometre from my flat. As far as I remember, there wasn't anything special around there. But, there were some nice flats overlooking the Danube in my district. A lot of foreigners lived around there.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,356 Posts
one of boat restaurants-Vogue I think is owned by Serb and they serve traditional food of Serbia.

The worst thing was when you try to eat something in some other restaurant-everything is with freaking paprika! :D I ate only pizzas :D

anyways that is Margaret sziget you had a view over right? Those buildings were around the place you lived indeed. But 1km is not that far away especially when you walk by the river.

Do you have pics of Hungarian TV HQs? where the only monument of Sovets was ledt untouched in Pesta. Some stupid star.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know about the boat restaurant, but there were some Serbian restaurants on the Pest side. However, I never went to any of them.

It is Margaret Island that you see in my panoramic. My girlfriend and I often went jogging there. It was a great place to spend a sunday afternoon, they even built a small sort of zoo there.

Regarding the new theatre, sound problems or not, it is hated by most Hungarians, well the ones I met anyway. Problem is that it is right on the bank of the Danube and such an obvious eyesore.

·
Banned
29,102 Posts
Parliament is amazing. The city in general looks very beautiful. I've been to Romania but not Budapest :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How many commieblocks in Budapest? I don't know, probably too many to count. But they are farther from the city centre than in Belgrade for example. So they do not make such an impression. There are a few scattered here and there within the centre. I remember a small strip around Hotel Helia that I would pass everyday on my way. But I think some of them had a cosmetic facelift, or they were newer, because they were not so bad and not so gray. I remember seeing once from the top of a hill in Buda what seemed to be endless fields of commieblocks in the distance.

·
nemtudom
95 Posts
ooo well i know i always only promise but there are so many photo threads about the downtown thats hard to post better ones. and i really lack of good photos but i promise i try to take own pics about everything:)
btw maybe u could help me what topics should i show :)

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,356 Posts
^^^
bope. they are forbidden in Budapest because they thought it would destroy historical skyline.

@kucksi well I have never seen any photos from Buda except of castle hill. If there is anything interesting...

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
What da...is that "new theater" actually the new Opera building?
I remember when another Hungarian forumer, Darius, posted it...it looked , hmm, a lot better back then. :?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts