·
Registered
14,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to set the context....

Exchequer deficit stands at €14.4bn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1102/exchequer.html

Updated: 16:55, Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Figures from the Department of Finance show that the gap between Government spending and tax was almost €14.4bn in the first ten months of this year.

The figures show that the amount of tax taken in for the ten months was marginally ahead of targets set out by the Government earlier this year, though income tax is still falling short of expectations.

€24.7bn of tax was received in the first ten months of the year, €243m, or 1%, above expectations, helped by a strong performance from corporation tax.

The Department of Finance says the figures mean the Government's targets for the whole of 2010 remain on track.

So basically we are looking at another 5 - 7bn to be taken out presumably in December but it could be sooner. Alot of the low hanging fruit has been picked so this is where real cuts to welfare and government spending have to occur. What are your thoughts on what you think the Government is likely to hit? And do you agree with the scorched earth strategy? Or is it time for something maybe even more radical but in another direction?

·
Advanced
309 Posts
Does anybody know already what new expenses will start at this budget, I heard we'll start paying water charges €20 per household from the new years, does anyone know what else?

·
niterider
397 Posts
Well 20quid is still cheap...i'd have thought at least 10x that to begin with on par with elsewhere.
One thing I wish Ireland and the UK didn't do was tax air travel at present levels. Being islands there's hardly an alternative for many trips.

·
Advanced
309 Posts
Being islands there's hardly an alternative for many trips.
well, for England, they can use the train sure, but yea for Ireland it is hard, and those prices are definitely unfair

Btw, I also heard that they might introduce property taxes from the next year, as well as an income levy of 1% from everyone (employed students, under 18's etc.) :eek:hno:

·
niterider
397 Posts
Some sort of property tax is inevtiable ...people were living in a dream land thinking they could build mcmansions anywhere they wanted without paying f*ck all towards infrastructure - water roads schools etc all felt the strain.
The UK has the unpopular council tax covering local infrastructure, France has similar property taxes to pay for similar, and so on.......its just people have been used to not having to pay for what they use and take that makes it feel like they will be punished with these new taxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts