Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right, I have had it with everyone avoiding the so-called dangerous east side. I decided to experience a bit of the neighborhood myself, it was fun and at NO POINT did I feel worried for my life. The local black population was welcoming and actually pretty cool to us (as white folks) lol.

Enjoy, this shits ghetto.

I will go back, perhaps more off the beaten path, I will say it must humble these people to see photographers in their neighborhoods...all the other white people do is talk shit. :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Last week they had the 33 closed off at Grider St so I had to wander off at Suffolk and take Delevan back to the 33. I know that's not what is "classically" considered the worst parts of the East Side, but I didn't think it was that bad. Parts of Delevan looked like shit, but I thought the residential neighborhoods looked very nice.

I notice that around Broadway, too. Broadway looks like shit but I don't think much of the surrounding area looks as bad.

·
Mighty Mouse
1,315 Posts
That is some G-hetto there partner, was that your bottle in that picture? Kind of odd to find a random 40 laying there.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
^^ I love the accordian gate on the thing. As if you couldn't carry it off on a flatbed if you really wanted to lol.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
bjfan82 said:
what the hell kind of question is that???...pop is a term used by everyone in Buffalo, regardless or color, unless they are transplanted from some "soda" place like NYC.
I've always heard them say "coke" like they do down south. At least those that lived in the suburbs.

·
Registered
841 Posts

I have memories of this newsstand as a kid...my dad would stop there to grab a paper and Time Magazine whenever we were in the area...he worked at the Science Magnet so we were around there a lot.

As for black people calling it coke down south...key words, "DOWN SOUTH". Buffalo is Buffalo. Black, white, yellow, or purple, Buffalonians of all colors call it POP.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I was talking about the Rochester burbs. It's not a stereotype, it was an observation. It's not like it's bad to say either pop or coke. It's just something I had noticed. Believe it or not both of our next door neighbors in Greece to the right were black, and whenever I would say "pop" in their houses, they would say, "you mean a coke". Didn't mean to offend anybody. :cheers: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
You'll remember this:

Granted it's not scientific, but show me something more conclusive.
(When you go to the site and look at the data, most of the "others" are people who otherwise should have voted "soda" spelling out why they say "soda" over "pop". Idiots.)

Saying "Coke" is a southern thing, from my experience. Heck, I actually say it, after living in New England for 4 years and facing persecution were I ever to utter "pop".

I abstinately refuse to say "Soda", as is not something you ingest; rather a sodium salt (baking soda, NA2O2) or a rather potent ingredient of harsh cleansers. I don't drink toilet cleanser, do you?

Granted "pop" also sounds stupid, but at least it has some onomatopoeic qualities.

·
Registered
841 Posts
More Americans call it pop than soda or coke. People don't seem to realize that.

Waj questioned whether this is as ghetto as Buffalo gets, and I gotta say, it's NOWHERE NEAR as ghetto as it gets. I've seen neighborhoods on the lower east side that make this particular part of the east side look like Amherst. This particular part of the east side actually has a lot of character and, from what I remember, a good deal of pedestrian activity too. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a good area by any stretch, but this certainly isn't representative of how ghetto some part of Buffalo really are.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, I think this is a good idea of ghetto in Buffalo.

there are areas that are more residential that are not seen and therefor don't have the vibe like a commercial street like Genesee, Fillmore or Broadway. The main drags are very ghetto, but business ghetto not so much "living" ghetto.

We drove thru the fruit-belt the other night, nice place if you lock your doors. Just because there is a lack of money to put new siding on these houses or get a new roof, does not mean all these people are out to kill everyone.

Whats really funny, you see alot of bums downtown asking for money, so go where the bums are from...the ghetto...and you don't see any. lol

I'm still planning a tour of Bailey, William and Sycamore, perhaps Clinton and Jefferson as well.

Looking on Google Earth, the most cleared out and condemned part of the East side is around the are north of Broadway and South of Genesee...pretty much west of Fillmore. Another area is north of Masten Park.

Not to say I need to get more Ghetto'r because I only go on my urban journeys to produce photos I think I can interperet, not get mugged and my camera taken. I'll see if I can get Ghetto'r but come on guys, it's easy to say "thats not the most ghetto" without actually walking this shit yourself...bunch of tough guys. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts