SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buffalo Central Terminal: Thread restored

[April 24 2010: This thread is being reconstructed using the copies of the thread i have saved to my computer. Replies to the thread will be put back up first, then i will reinstate all the pictures. Hold tight]

VOLUNTEER!!!

Over the Last week, ive gone from being interested in the terminal, to being active in helping to restore the terminal.

specifically speaking, ill be working to create the blueprints required to re-fabricate a number of items that were pillaged from the building while it sat unused for the late 80's and early 90's

these items include:

1)rectangular ceiling lights - entryways - 2 units
2)starburst ceiling light - entry lobby
3) 7 foot sconces - 8 pieces - 2 each flanking entry, exit, baggage and train concourse
4) 27" cornice sconces - 12 pieces in main concourse, 14 more (i think) in the waiting room
5) Square main concourse ceiling lights - 18 pieces
6) Round main concourse ceiling lights - 2 units
7) triangular wall lights - exit lobby - 4 pieces
8) square ceiling lights - train concourse hallway - 3 pieces
9) rectangular ceiling lights - 2 pieces - exit doorways
10) baggage area ceiling - undetermined - probably 3 pieces
11) mezanine railing - create prints for the original 15 x 25 x 36 tall obolisks that divide the railings into sections - 16 pieces iirc
12) Entryway awning - pending possible grant $ - reverse engineer the existing stucture for repair / replacement, including ceiling lights, edge lights, and decorative trim work

on saturday i went to the terminal to volunteer some time to helping to clean the collapsed decorative ceiling that was over Curtiss St. We made a good sized dent in the mess, and managed to get a bunch of garbage into the dumpster.

As soom of you may know, the carshow was the same day, so as the day went on it went from being a work day, to a day chatting with visitors. Now mind you it was only my first day there, and i still managed to talk to a number of people there for the car show about the terminal itself.

It was a powerful experience to say the least. and it turns out you can see ALOT more detail in the daylight then you would be able to at night with flashlights :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
small update :)

Now for some detail pics.

here are the marble pieces that belong high above each of the 7' sconces, this is one of the 2 that fell from over the exit area, you can see where they came from in the picture above of Stuffy's visit for the 75th anniversary

This is the top of the vendor stand windows, which are scattered down the length of the main concourse

doorway decorations, found on the enrty and exit doors, and also on the doorways between the train concourse and main concourse. i dont recall if they are on the rental space doorways though

light for the obolisks surrounding the main parking area ("plaza") along with one of the original drinking fountains, one of the original safes, and my cut of Flying Bison beer

a few of the other lights being painted

heres the ceiling between the entry lobby and the main concourse. This is the burn mark the original light left from 50 years of dust and bugs burning off the original light bulbs.

In the center of the electrical box theres a mount made from threaded pipe, which had to be unscrewed to remove the fixture, but youll notice theres 3 gaping holes surrounding it. this is where additional bolts attached the light to the ceiling .... every light that was removed from one of the plaster ceilings was done so w/o removing said bolts, showing that Tedesco probably scrapped the fixtures. He obviously didnt remove them carefully for resale.

Measuring these burn marks is how i decided on dimensions of all these lights.

The decorative center to the wait room ceiling, this is the largest original piece left.

if you look closely at the top center of THIS picture youll see the very corner of this design

the blue center was actually done as a blue and white cloud motif, giving the wait room a bit of an open sky feeling

stone work at the very top of the office tower

Just found out where the 2 huge chandeliers went.

1 of them they dropped while taking it down. a 60 foot fall onto a marble floor is NOT going to wonders for the fit and finish of a chandelier made of nickel.

the other one was purchased by a local "antique recycler" who left it in the corner of their fenced in rear lot ... right by the fence .... allowing the trash that lives in the area to reach in and break pieces of it off a little at a time.

i google street viewed the location, the fence is open, the business is closed. and luckily city trash tends to be lazy, so there MIGHT be some remnants of the fixture still.

i intend to find out
Trolly Lobby stairs before:

youll notice the plaster is heaped more then 2 feet high in the corner, and the far side of the stairs is not stairs anymore, its a ramp. the landing below is the same way. Pictures taken from the main concourse doorway wich is actualy the 3rd floor over curtis. so we just took all that junk and dumped it out a 2nd floor window into the trolly car area :)

heres an in progress shot, you can see we set up a demo tube on the railing, below which we placed a wheel barrel. stairs are 1/3 done

heres one of my "coworkers" for the day hard at work on the upper landing, you can still see a pile of plaster in the corner, but not as big as it was before

finished for the day, took maybe 3 hours i think

i have now also found out an interesting little tidbit. while us volounteers were slaving away the local womens club had a craft show / wine tasting / yummy snacks you would otherwise have to make yourself type deal. And terminal events always wind up 99.999%

i refer to the terminal as "the white island of the ghetto" because of this

so i was standing in the entry lobby area snapping off some additional pics of this and that as future reference material and i wound up talking to a well dressed, well spoken man about the terminal.

The only black person in the building mind you ....

i didnt think much of it ... whatever ....

we get to the end of the conversation and he says something about "well im going to go check out the gift shop"

my response: "support the terminal BUY SOMETHING.... DO IT!

he laughed at this comment to which i reply by pointing at him, giving him a stern look and saying "ill be back to check up on you. and there is a one item minimum in there ..."

he laughs again, thanks me for the conversation, and we part ways.

well i didnt put 2 and 2 together at the time ... but .... The mayor of Buffalo is black.

and yes he did make a purchase

:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
far end of the building, to the left the detached train concourse is visable

original: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/hotrodkid/bct/panofarend.jpg

and heres a panoramic of the train concourse arrival ramps

original: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/hotrodkid/bct/panoarrivalramp.jpg

main concourse (pics came out like trash)

Original: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/hotrodkid/bct/pano.jpg

stairway down to the trolly lobby, this is 2 of 3 sets of stairs

Original: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/hotrodkid/bct/panolobbystairs.jpg

entry lobby, looking all 4 directions

heres a stitched together version of the tower

some of the fixtures im working on prints for

Items in this picture that im working on:
exit lobby triangular lighting (back ground, 2 of 8 visible)
Exit Hallway square light
7 foot sconce (one of 2 for this area visible)
mezzanine railing "obelisks" ( one visible - mostly hidden by the election campaign sign just to the left of the buffalo's face)

Items also currently missing:
The buffalo: smashed when Tedesko was scrapping the building
Most of the door fixtures
The heating grate on the wall just behind he buffalo - 1 of 8

The gold buffalo see is the replacement made in the 40's for "Stuffy", the original buffalo.

The terminals gold buffalo has a twin, made from molds that were made from molds taken form the original molds (yes, thats actually how it works out)

That buffalo is cast bronze and sits at the University of Buffalo

Heres the original Stuffy

and heres Stuffy making a return to the terminal for the 75 anniversary party. the terminal as you see it there is largely how it also currently looks

heres the same same exit hallway area, but facing into the concourse
Light on the left is the same one visable above, right on the light is the the light for the top of the trolly lobby staircase (also in the works)

heres the main concourse as it stood in 1929

Missing but in progress:
27" sconces along the wall
1 of 2 large chandeliers
Some of the square ceiling lights

Stuffy was not yet installed in this pic, as this is a picture taken BEFORE the terminal opened

more later ...
mezzanine railing as it used to be:

*** sorry, this picture has been removed from Flickr by CTRC***

mezzanine railing as it currently is:

the prints required to finish it off, to many revisions were required to getto this point, lol

and i still need to do the 4 corner units, as each corner is slightly different

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love watching progress on the Terminal. I grew up nearby and love going to events that are held there now. Hopefully high speed rail will be brought in (with the funding that comes with it) to restore the place to its original state.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
HSR would be a phenomenal boost for the terminal. And i love the fact that the states been forced to but BCT back on the options list. Funny how they did studies for the Exchange st and the Depew station 10 years ago and this time BCT got brushed off the list because of a set of freight tracks that have been behind BCT since the day it opened.

seams like someone didnt want to bother to do a study for BCT this time around, so they came up with a BS reason to ignore BCT as an option.

will you be at model the train show next month ? ill probably be there both days.

how much of the terminal have you actually seen ? i keep finding new areas to explore

·
Registered
115 Posts
HSR would be a phenomenal boost for the terminal. And i love the fact that the states been forced to but BCT back on the options list. Funny how they did studies for the Exchange st and the Depew station 10 years ago and this time BCT got brushed off the list because of a set of freight tracks that have been behind BCT since the day it opened.

seams like someone didnt want to bother to do a study for BCT this time around, so they came up with a BS reason to ignore BCT as an option.

will you be at model the train show next month ? ill probably be there both days.

how much of the terminal have you actually seen ? i keep finding new areas to explore :)
HSR to the Terminal would be huge for the CT itself and even more so for the city as a whole. Buffalo was the 2nd largest rail hub in the nation at one point, and the planners put the CT where it is because it is the best place to put a massive train station that could handle freight and passengers from NYC, Toronto, Chicago and our own downtown. It was certainly shady when they tried taking it off the list this time.

If you look on Google Maps, there is a Right of Way from the airport, right past the Galleria, directly to the Terminal, and continuing on to nearly the foot of Main and the new waterfront. From there, you could catch the light rail at HSBC Arena down main and out to UB South. And of course there were plans for a Tonawanda connector, UB North connection, and a southtowns corridor. It would tie the entire city together with energy efficient mass transit every bit as sophisticated as you could expect from a larger city, and so much of the hard work was already done for them 100 years ago.

The Broadway/Filmore neighborhood, Broadway Market, etc would also benefit greatly from the influx in cash, capital improvements, increased business and police presence, etc. Between the Terminal and the idea to remove the Hyatt Atrium and Convention Center from sitting on top of Genesee st, the East Side could be reconnected to the rest of city again. Some people complain that this is a dead area that we shouldn't invest in, but they don't remember that it want always a wasteland. Poor decisions hurt the area, but they can be corrected.

I'm not sure when I'll be there next, I wanted to make it to the car show but I wasnt quite done with the car. I'll either be at the train show or one of the tours soon, as I have only seen what you can see from Dyngus Day events...along with my old memories of being able to drive under it on Curtiss back in the day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
no. one elevator car is missing, the other 3 are parked at various floors (ones
at 6 iirc) and they all require 3 phase power to run, which the building
doesnt have. it would cost someplace around $80,000 to run 3 phase to the
terminal because none of the immediate area has 3 phase. new lines would
have to be run from BLOCKS away.

plus the damage to the elevator doors all over the place, and as you can see
in the pic the call buttons are missing from the wall.

apparently at some point an elevator repair company looked into putting the
elevators back into service, and they refused to reuse any of the old
equipment. full replacement is the only thing they would be willing to do.

doesnt help that the elevator doors at each level are swing out style, which
is a safety hazard unless you install special guards which cost hundreds per
door

this is a pic of the elevator doors one level down from concourse level, facing the front of the building. I'll try to get a better pic of the area this weekend

·
A Buffalo NY Photographer
515 Posts
no. one elevator car is missing, the other 3 are parked at various floors (ones
at 6 iirc) and they all require 3 phase power to run, which the building
doesnt have. it would cost someplace around $80,000 to run 3 phase to the
terminal because none of the immediate area has 3 phase. new lines would
have to be run from BLOCKS away.

plus the damage to the elevator doors all over the place, and as you can see
in the pic the call buttons are missing from the wall.

apparently at some point an elevator repair company looked into putting the
elevators back into service, and they refused to reuse any of the old
equipment. full replacement is the only thing they would be willing to do.

doesnt help that the elevator doors at each level are swing out style, which
is a safety hazard unless you install special guards which cost hundreds per
door

this is a pic of the elevator doors one level down from concourse level, facing the front of the building. I'll try to get a better pic of the area this weekend
Wow! From the other pic, it looked like the elevators were replaced at first. Thanks for the great info and awesome pics!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! From the other pic, it looked like the elevators were replaced at first. Thanks for the great info and awesome pics!
that door blocks off a short hallway that has the 4 elevator shafts, and then past that theres a set of stairs on each side

that door is simply the first of many barricades that keep people out of the tower

if you look at the pic you referenced, youll see that above the door theres windows, through the windows you can see 2 brick walls, and then two rusty stel walls, thats the side of those 2 elevators shafts your looking at.

i want to eventually get around to checking out the elevator cars, but i havent been allowed past the mezzanine level yet. the building has a total of 9 elevators, so im sure one complete tower elevator could be assembled.

·
515 Posts
that door blocks off a short hallway that has the 4 elevator shafts, and then past that theres a set of stairs on each side

that door is simply the first of many barricades that keep people out of the tower

if you look at the pic you referenced, youll see that above the door theres windows, through the windows you can see 2 brick walls, and then two rusty stel walls, thats the side of those 2 elevators shafts your looking at.

i want to eventually get around to checking out the elevator cars, but i havent been allowed past the mezzanine level yet. the building has a total of 9 elevators, so im sure one complete tower elevator could be assembled.
Yeah... I see it now. Cool insight. I'd love to get a tour one day of that building... I've heard there are secret passages that haven't been touched since it was built!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
On saturday i wound up sticking around past the end of the work session, i got to geat some of the lecture by Chip Coffey from A&E’s Paranormal State, and then tagged along on one of the tours they did afterwards.

unfortunately my batteries in my camera had died earlier in the day, so i didnt get any pics from the tour. lots of paperwork still laying on the floor, lots of soot blackened walls.

earlier in the day i did find some more interesting stuff, both on the general level and the projects-im-working-on level. then i got in trouble for exploring to much into off limits areas.

woops

but hey, at least i wasnt doing donuts with the forklift in the parking garage, or ghost riding the electric cart around the concourse clock.

·
515 Posts
On saturday i wound up sticking around past the end of the work session, i got to geat some of the lecture by Chip Coffey from A&E’s Paranormal State, and then tagged along on one of the tours they did afterwards.

unfortunately my batteries in my camera had died earlier in the day, so i didnt get any pics from the tour. lots of paperwork still laying on the floor, lots of soot blackened walls.

earlier in the day i did find some more interesting stuff, both on the general level and the projects-im-working-on level. then i got in trouble for exploring to much into off limits areas.

woops

but hey, at least i wasnt doing donuts with the forklift in the parking garage, or ghost riding the electric cart around the concourse clock.

Got in trouble, eh? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
2nd floor (one up from concourse level) looking at the elevators facing the entry lobby area

3rd floor, now ABOVE the entry lobby area IIRC, looking towards the tracks, elevators are to the left. area is coated in soot from a previous fire

same area, closer view of the hand painted office numbers on the wall.

then taking a couple steps back and looking to the left, effectively BEHIND the elevators

detail of a doorframe from one of the 9 doorways opposite the ticket windows (telephones, boot black, liquor store area)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts