Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Since I came out with my latest Buffalo pics, here's probably the set you have all been waiting for, a tour of the Buffalo Central Terminal, Buffalo's former passenger railroad station until 1979, when it moved to the much smaller Exchange Street station, near the One HSBC Center in downtown Buffalo.

The Buffalo Central Terminal is a 17-storey Art Deco railroad station, built in 1929. It was used over the years by numerous railroad lines, mostly by the New York Central Railroad. However in the 1970s, its usage declined and after Amtrak's decision to move the Buffalo stops to Depew and Exchange Street, the station went out of use in 1979. After a long time of abandonment and foreclosures, the terminal was purchased for $1 by a group that formed the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation. The CTRC is a non-profit group dedicated to preserving and restoring the building and keep it as a viable development opportunity for Buffalo.

Since then, the clocks on the tower are fully functional, and the complex is sealed and protected so no vandals can get in, the clock in the center concourse, which was sold to Chicago buyers was purchased back by the CTRC has been restored and along with a replacement buffalo statue (the old one was stolen) inside the building and in 2003, the building re-opened for public tours. The building is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

Numerous fundraisers, events, and concerts are held at the Central Terminal to raise money to restore it. As well, some movies and tv shows have filmed here.

Just recently the building has been given another grant by the State of New York to restore and habilitate the entrances and the awnings.

Today was a first, allowing professional photographers with tripods (including me, although I'm not necessarily a professional) to take pictures inside for $100, along with a tour of the building. I was proud to support this and participate in this inaugural events of professional photographers at the terminal.

There is talk that if high-speed rail ever becomes a reality in Buffalo and in New York State, that the Central Terminal would serve as a stop

Without further ado, here's my tour of the Buffalo Central Terminal!

Front of the terminal...

Close-up of one of the clocks. There are four of these clocks on the terminal, they all work and are accurate.

Inside the terminal now, here's the main concourse… taken from the west mezzanine...

Windows on the mezzanine...

Basement...

In this area was where a proposed underground light rail line to downtown from here was to go, before the station closed and taxicab drivers protested against this.

Exits to outside...

NIce little bit of graffiti, KISS does rule! Detroit Rock City!

This would have been where a proposed trolley from here to downtown was supposed to go and passengers were to get to it, but taxi cab companies protested against it and won.

Looking outside at the tracks running past the terminals, freight trains use this.

Looking outside...

North Exit...

Main concourse again...

As I mentioned, there's a story behind this clock. Believe it or not, it was sold to people from Chicago, and some kind person recognized it bought it at a Chicago auction and gave it back to the Terminal!

There's the Buffalo statue on the left, the original one was stolen...

Closeup...

Ticket kiosks...

Looking towards the main entrance...

Baggage check booths...

Ceiling in main concourse...

Exit...

Former Elevator entrance, to elevators that don't work (yet) and a staircase...

Plaque dedicated in 2004, commemorating the Central Terminal being on the NHRP.

Newsstands… or possibly a post office...

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600122_10151968864845002_1318289266_n.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558211_10151968865040002_88687342_n.jpg

Train Concourse entrance...

Eastern Exit to Taxis and Buses

The Eastern part of the terminal served as a little mall, and even had a Liquor Store!

View from inside the Liquor Store…

A train going by on the outside!

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599950_10151968865865002_680806125_n.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/557031_10151968865965002_1893502307_n.jpg

Inside the Train concourse on the right in the distance, there are clean, fully functional and beautifully restored washrooms...

Looking up at main entrance...

Baggage Check entrance...

Welcome to Buffalo...

Old Cabinet...

Exit to street...

Back looking at station entrance...

The non-functional elevators...

Stairway to mezzanine and tower floors...

Looking up, this is a "strong-looking" building… which is something that Buffalo has a lot of…

View from the north...

Looking west towards downtown Buffalo from the terminal...

A brief glimpse of the neighborhood the Terminal stands in, called Polonia, or "Broadway-Fillmore". It has seen better days, once home to an influx of Polish immigrants.

Buffalo skyline, notice the sun is coming out...

As mentioned, the CTRC received a grant from the state to restore this awnings and improve the entrances...

Hope you all enjoyed it! Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beautiful. I enjoyed every shot. The Buffalo central terminal is a grand station, i can definitley see the potential. That main concourse can be such a grand space. It's shocking to me the station wasnt entirely demolished..this being Buffalo and all. Are they using authentic materials to restore the station? Would you know?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if they are using "authentic" materials of not, but they are trying to restore it to as close to its original self as they can. The building does have a lot of potential, definitely worth saving. I was happy to pay the money to do the photographers tour.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I don't know if they are using "authentic" materials of not, but they are trying to restore it to as close to its original self as they can. The building does have a lot of potential, definitely worth saving. I was happy to pay the money to do the photographers tour.

Have you seen the Terminal Tower in downtown Cleveland?

They were able to fix it up as the central hub for Cleveland's rapid transit network. Sadly Buffalo's terminal is way too far from downtown for similar re-use.

Glad it's still standing though!

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
It's best chance, I think, would be to repurpose it as office space, like a similar massive building was in Baltimore, a Montgomery Ward catalog house a similar distance from downtown. The station interior would make a great event space!

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,616 Posts
This and Detroit's station need to be put back in use as train stations with dense transit-oriented developments around them. That is key to revitalizing their respective cities.

·
ScanTron
481 Posts
This and Detroit's station need to be put back in use as train stations with dense transit-oriented developments around them. That is key to revitalizing their respective cities.
Planners' pipe dream. Buffalo's and I believe Detroits' stations are in relative no-man's lands in the city, miles from downtown and surrounded by blighted neighborhoods. They were created when the cities were expected to continue to grow at a fast clip.

If it was downtown, it would make a great transportation center. But there is already a bus station and Amtrak station downtown which is better for the health of downtown and convenience of passengers than the location this building is in.

Revitalization in Buffalo is happening in other areas.

·
ScanTron
481 Posts
It's best chance, I think, would be to repurpose it as office space, like a similar massive building was in Baltimore, a Montgomery Ward catalog house a similar distance from downtown. The station interior would make a great event space!
There is a non profit dedicated to the maintenance/restoration and repurposing of the terminal. They hold large events and tours there sporadically.

http://buffalocentralterminal.org/

·
Registered
31 Posts
it's AMAZING how in America, INCREDIBLE CITIES (Detroit, cleveland and so on) along with amazing buildings are simply abandoned in pro of moving to some sterile cul de sac, with cheaply made overpriced mcmansions, where you most likely will be bored to death and the only thing to do is going to the shopping mall by car (because you can't go anywhere without a car)!!!

The worst is that often people leave cities in America for ridiculous reasons such as (minorities are coming making it diverse), so they move to a sterile mcmansion in a depressing cul de sac to be around people that look, think, act and feels EXACTLY LIKE THEY DO, feeling the illusion that they live in extreme wealth (although most owe so much money they will spend their entire lives paying bills)

If suburbias didn't exist in America, pfffff the American cities would be MAGNIFICENT!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Planners' pipe dream. Buffalo's and I believe Detroits' stations are in relative no-man's lands in the city, miles from downtown and surrounded by blighted neighborhoods. They were created when the cities were expected to continue to grow at a fast clip.

If it was downtown, it would make a great transportation center. But there is already a bus station and Amtrak station downtown which is better for the health of downtown and convenience of passengers than the location this building is in.

Revitalization in Buffalo is happening in other areas.
I will never forgive baby boomers for what they did to the American city.... SUBURBIA SUBURBIA LET'S PRETEND WE'RE ALL THE BRADY BUNCH AND WE'RE RICH RICH!!!

These folks abandoned our cities (the same cities that made America what it is), they left them decay and rot away... not only happy with moving to gross suburbias but now even exburbs.... they wanna live so far from town they're gonna end up moving to the moon!!!

Today's generation is SICK of suburbia, it's not ecological, it's not natural, it destroys society by isolating humans!!! I mean look at this AMAZING art deco train station simply in ruins because NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE DOWNTOWN.

Even in the 70's NYC was looking like today's detroit!!!!

THE NEW GENERATION HAS TO CHANGE THIS, WE NEED TO MOVE BACK TO OUR CITIES, RE-DISCOVER THEM AND SHOW THE BIG FINGER TO THE BABY BOOMERS AND THEIR SUBURBIAS!!!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Amen to your statement, urban-dweller!

Nice to see this photothread I made back up!

build a lrrt line to airport, with stop at central terminal, it would make it more marketable to redevelop, otherwise it will sit empty for another 50 years.
That has been proposed as a line to the airport by NFTA Metro, should NFTA decide to invest in an airport corridor line. The Central Terminal would serve as a stop.

The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation along with local, federal, and state government representative is trying to push for the Central Terminal as Buffalo's stop for a high-speed rail service, as well as possible return of Amtrak service. It remains to be seen as to whether that will happen or not, been it has been proposed and they are trying to bring it back to use as a railroad terminal.

Also of note, Detroit's Michigan Central Station has had most of its windows replaced in hopes to try an sell the building, as well the occasional time, it's lit up inside and out at night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts