Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
You gotta love Buffalo, not only do they make great buildings, but they make great signs, too. Look at the DANGER electrical sign! :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is that $2.6k investment paying off?
ummmm yea.....uhhhhh slowly.

but thats part of it. My primary focus has been urban photos...still is, but taking on weddings, models and portraits generates enough cash to keep the entire operation going....even if I would rather not do those aspects of the art.

The camera and all the toys are fun...I mean, I coulda dressed out in Banana Republic, Hollister or AF...coulda spent nights on Chippewa or taken a trip to Miami...but the camera will show me what I can create artistically and emotionally(sometimes) which to me is a huge asset both psychologically and economically. I'm not a huge status person...I like things that matter to me and what can be used as tool in my life...a hoodie and a beer are nice, but they only go that far.

I'm rambling, but you get the point...I love my camera. :)

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I picked up a SONY Alpha 10.2 MP. It has an 18 to 70 mm lens. It also has shake stabilization which seems cool. It had great ratings from Consumer Reports and a great price point of $700 (incl lens). I was a bit worried because I don't think of Sony when I think of cameras but they bought out Konica so that is not too bad. Plus my video camera is Sony and it has been a dream to own. I will try it out tonight.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
ummmm yea.....uhhhhh slowly.

but thats part of it. My primary focus has been urban photos...still is, but taking on weddings, models and portraits generates enough cash to keep the entire operation going....even if I would rather not do those aspects of the art.

The camera and all the toys are fun...I mean, I coulda dressed out in Banana Republic, Hollister or AF...coulda spent nights on Chippewa or taken a trip to Miami...but the camera will show me what I can create artistically and emotionally(sometimes) which to me is a huge asset both psychologically and economically. I'm not a huge status person...I like things that matter to me and what can be used as tool in my life...a hoodie and a beer are nice, but they only go that far.

I'm rambling, but you get the point...I love my camera. :)

The kicker is the vacation would be only a memory by now. Your investment in the camera is probably the best you will ever make. Think about how many hours of enjoyment you have had and will have and divide that into the cost of the camera. I bet it comes out way cheaper than going to a movie.

I am a little worried though with the neighborhoods you wander through on a regular basis

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steel...Sony consumed ( :lol: ) Konica Minolta which has made cameras for years even before they merged. With Konica Minolta having metal body experience (SLRs) and Sony having plenty of experience in digital format...these cameras will be fine on the market. You will find you made a great purchuse...once you get used to a SLR you will never want to go back...regardless of brand.

70mm is a short lens, good to start with but you will soon find yourself looking here for more toys.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/..._Interchangeable_Lenses_for_Sony_Minolta.html

btw, share your photos when you can...always nice to see someone make the ranks. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The kicker is the vacation would be only a memory by now. Your investment in the camera is probably the best you will ever make. Think about how many hours of enjoyment you have had and will have and divide that into the cost of the camera. I bet it comes out way cheaper than going to a movie.

I am a little worried though with the neighborhoods you wander through on a regular basis
I'm working on my pistol permit :)

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Steel...Sony consumed ( :lol: ) Konica Minolta which has made cameras for years even before they merged. With Konica Minolta having metal body experience (SLRs) and Sony having plenty of experience in digital format...these cameras will be fine on the market. You will find you made a great purchuse...once you get used to a SLR you will never want to go back...regardless of brand.

70mm is a short lens, good to start with but you will soon find yourself looking here for more toys.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/..._Interchangeable_Lenses_for_Sony_Minolta.html

btw, share your photos when you can...always nice to see someone make the ranks. :)

I have been shooting with a film SLR for years and recently with a point and shoot Cannon Digital (which has taken some stunning photos from time to time)

That lens will serve me fine. Telephoto images look great but have never been a big part of what I like to shoot. (though they do come in handy when going after high up details) Anyway I am a family man so I will leave it up to you to impress the ladies with your big equipment.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I guess thats nice if you know where you are going to be as far as lenses...from what I have seen thus far, the more you shoot the more you wanna shoot. The family thing, I have a little one on the way in late December so as much as and as fun as it is to show off my 200mm...those days are over and its time to stay loyal...well, maybe. lol

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Hey, you'll pay off the camera in baby pictures alone!

Meanwhile, I still have my 1.3 MP antique. I think it's a good solid camera for someone who uses it as much [as little] as I do. Just waiting for it to break, really. Heck, it only cost me $240ish and half of that was money out of an applesauce jar full of change which I had been accumulating (something you can't do anymore!).

Can't be half bad, though - the State Museum in SC had my camera in one of those "then and now" exhibits, mine being the "now".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts