SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to start posting some simple photo threads featuring towns in the East Central region of Minnesota in the upcoming weeks. It's kind of fun to get out of the city and explore – I might make this into a new hobby!

Today, I'll start with:

Buffalo, Minnesota

Population: 10,097
Seat of Wright County
August 22, 2010

It was a pretty gross, humid day in the mid-90s, so some of my distant shots turned out a bit hazy blueish.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Hot and Humid would be perfect for jumping in that beautiful lake. Very nice. I've got family in Clearwater which is not too far away --- just a little south of St. Cloud.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Thanks! That's actually a shot of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church – the courthouse is kind of a nondescript "modern" monstrosity. I've got a few more shots that I might add later.

·
Paradise Island
3,695 Posts
Cool, I really like the black and white photo of the lake with the tire swing. Minnesota has a lot of good small towns. You should go down to Mississippi Bluff country during fall colors.

Photography is a great hobby because you get to travel around and see lots of interesting stuff. Also once you have your gear it is a great way to kill lots of time without spending money, you also get some exercise.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, I really like the black and white photo of the lake with the tire swing. Minnesota has a lot of good small towns. You should go down to Mississippi Bluff country during fall colors.

Photography is a great hobby because you get to travel around and see lots of interesting stuff. Also once you have your gear it is a great way to kill lots of time without spending money, you also get some exercise.
Yeah, so far I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm definitely going to make my way down to the southeastern corner of the state sometime in the coming months – there are all sorts of great river towns down there.

·
Mostly Sane
2,322 Posts
Like Somnifor, I really like the B&W pic of the tire swing. A perfect vignette so common on Minnesota lakes.

And I also like the B&W church pic. But somehow that one reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode. :) I can just hear Rod Serling say. "In a quiet little town..."

Seriously though, Jennifat, I look forward to these threads. I'm traveling in Europe right now and strangely enough, I kinda miss those little Midwestern towns.

P.S. - That B&W church pic looks surprisingly like St Cyril's church in NE Minneapolis!

EDIT: WHOA! That Buffalo Church is practically a carbon copy of St. Cyril's. No wonder it rang a bell.

Here's a pic of St. Cyril's. Compare!

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice pictures. I've never seen another Buffalo shown before.

Apparently that beach is on Buffalo Lake. What are the beaches on those little lakes like? Sand or gravel? Clear water or silty water? Etc.
Most lakes have sandy beaches, especially in the Twin Cities area. It used to be that if a lake didn't have any natural beaches, they would truck sand in and create a fake one. Lots of counties now have laws that protect natural shorelines and create incentives for restoration, so you don't really see that done anymore.

Like Somnifor, I really like the B&W pic of the tire swing. A perfect vignette so common on Minnesota lakes.

And I also like the B&W church pic. But somehow that one reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode. :) I can just hear Rod Serling say. "In a quiet little town..."

Seriously though, Jennifat, I look forward to these threads. I'm traveling in Europe right now and strangely enough, I kinda miss those little Midwestern towns.

P.S. - That B&W church pic looks surprisingly like St Cyril's church in NE Minneapolis!

EDIT: WHOA! That Buffalo Church is practically a carbon copy of St. Cyril's. No wonder it rang a bell.

Here's a pic of St. Cyril's. Compare!

Wow, you're right! It's nearly an exact replica! Buffalo was a summer resort for Minneapolitans in Victorian times...I wonder if there's any kind of connection?

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts