SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone know why the white facing on the Verizon building stops short of the top? Was it always this way?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Does anyone know why the white facing on the Verizon building stops short of the top? Was it always this way?

The brick portoin of the Verizon Building is an addition from the 1930's. There is a corresponding addition at the back of the building which is about 9 floors. There is an entry off the back that has some nice art deco detailing. They did not have much sensitivity to the original architecture when they added that on top. Back in the 70's / early 80's the phone company announced a plan to strip all the whit terra cotta and cover the entire building (windows included) in pin granite. They said it would be a fitting tribute to the neighboring Guaranty Building (Huh? ? ? ). Anyway some intelligent Buffalonians stepped forwayd and put an end to the stupidity and we still have the beautiful whit terra cotta facade. I think that may have marked the beginning of Buffalo regaining some intelligence when dealing with its urban environment.

·
Frustrated Male Model
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From certain angles it reminds me of a miniature Woolworth Building. I wish they'd paint the top white to match the rest, though. Thanks for the information Steel.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
They ought to lease that agglomeration of junk on the top to NASA or something, who knows it might lower our phone bills lol. (or in Verizon's case, just subsidize more annoying advertising)

·
Registered
8 Posts
steel said:
I have a post card of the original top. I will try to find it and post it. Unless I get lazy.
I've got your back steel.... I used to hate this building too exwny'er, but I've kind of grown to like it now.... I also remember that proposal to clad the building.... rendering looked cool, but not as cool as the original.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
^^ lol Gonna have to change your "Ex" to "fprmer" if you don't watch out! :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Currently.. that building looks like ass. They should do something. I think that the building would look good covered in granite. Stopping them from doing that may have sounded like a good idea in the 70's. But, if they saw what it would look like in 2006. I think they may have reconsidered.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I don't know what to think - sheath it plain, or make it a little more uniform with some art deco embellishments. Either way would look better than present, for sure.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
its not bad, it looks liek they altered the top to hold the NASA units, so the peak rook (seemingly) and the more detailed top part of the building was stripped...odd building really, but cool in its own right.

I'd leave it alone for now and work on getting some of the empty buildings filled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts