Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alight, the more I see places, hear of places or read about places in Buffalo...the more I wanna move here. I recently came across a place on Fix-Buffalo called the Transfiguration Roman Catholic Church on Sycamore. Built in 1896 it is one of Buffalo's four oldest churches and a polish community once filled the pews...now it sits empty...rotting away its Gothic Revival architecture and alone in a neighborhood who both abuses it and neglects it. :eek:hno:

in 1993 the Church sold it to someone who adds to the problem in Buffalo...not giving a damn about what they own or the community around it.

Here is...the 'Trans' uncut...and exclusive to SSC.

and always...visit the link for more http://farnsworth.zenfolio.com/p368680260

·
18,286 Posts
Interesting. It's a shame that a great church like that is abandoned and treated like that. I wonder if there is any Catholic organization dedicated to preserving threatened churches and the religious sanctuary that they are. This church might not be able to be a parish church any more, but there is no reason why it can't be a chapel or retreat center or something. People just need to donate some money to help return it back to form.

Photo #4 is an Urban Photo Contest finalist or winner. Calling it "God's Throne" or something like that would help it go a long way.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
The Catholic Church seems to be too busy divesting property everywhere on account of "lack of money". I can't possibly see them investing in old buildings which would surely be money losers. Damn shame though.

Seriously, seeing stuff like this pisses me off. You don't need to be a Cathaholic. Who is the owner, btw? Buffalo's most notorious slumlord, the State?

I agree with Matt as well, #4 is a really "powerful" picture. Even better than some of the Glenny Drive ones.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1400 seats...and there are how many micro-churches on the eastside? lol

this place is shot...I'm no engineer but I almost fell thru the damn floor.

it was nice, as we walked up a guy asked if we wanted to take a picture of his dick for $1, then asked for a cigarette...fucking people crack me up.

:lol:

·
18,286 Posts
The real sin is that they are building or have built some Catholic McChurhces just a few blocks from here
I do know of a Catholic group that is against more bland churches. The argument is that it really is a sin to build bland or ugly churches, because churches are meant to show the greatness of God and the devotion to Him by the parishoners. I can't remember what the group is called, but I think my mom is part of the group and several of her actively-Catholic friends are outspoken members of the group. The group actually is very strong down here, as several new churches have gone up due to the state's growth. If I am correct, the group was active enough to get one new parish to build a Gothic-style church.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the issue is...until 1993 the RC Church owned Trans and African Americans (Blacks) are hardly catholic...no parish...no filled seats...not money.

a connected issue is that local eastside churches are not communal...they seem to like small (super small) churches while the impressive structures rot or become community centers.

Sounds like the eastside needs some leadership and charactor if it ever wants to get beyond drugs, bitches and shooting.

ofcourse when the community doesn't care (majority) it makes anything good even harder to get.

FOOD STAMPS, HUD, HEAP, WELFARE, MEDICAIDE....thats a religion. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If you think about it the churches should be located near the population that needs help rather than near where the parishioners live. I am only sayin because the Christian faith is all about helping others before helping thine self.

Faith should be more than how easy your commute to church is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts