SkyscraperCity Forum banner

What neighborhood defines "Buffalo" ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
North Buffalo/Delaware. The treelined streets with glorious victorian mansions. That is my idea of the picture perfect neighborhood. Also, I got to say I find south Buffalo sort of "charming" it still holds it's ethnic polish identity stronger than most immigrant sections in NYC ever did.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm saying the West Village.

This place is so cool, once you open your eyes to it.

Delaware - Delaware Park, Delaware Ave.

oh yea...they named the state after the street in Buffalo, because the city is SO FUCKING AWESOME!!!

we could have called it "Dover Road" :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
ROCguy said:
...I got to say I find south Buffalo sort of "charming" it still holds it's ethnic polish identity stronger than most immigrant sections in NYC ever did.
Don't you mean Irish? South Buffalo isn't only Irish, it's flamingly Irish. (if that's a word)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ok, I'm talking of geographicaly south Buffalo, like Potters; McKinley Parkway that area. That's not Polish? I swear on my life you could practically taste the peirogies in the air when going through that area.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Black Rock and Riverside are 2 different neighborhoods. Also what about

Central Park
North Park
Grant
Parkside
University
Hamlin Park
Fruit Belt
Waterfront Village
Kleinhans
Lower West Side
Broadway Filmore
Elmwood Village

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
West Village is the Delaware Ave. territory I travelled and saw so much of and took so many photos of early last summer and after the meet, so that will definitely get my vote, that's what I would have voted for anyway.

·
token Canadian
981 Posts
I voted Allentown because it "defines" Buffalo. a mish mash of good, bad and ugly. great architecture, quintessential Buffalo bars, a bohemian feel, etc. heck it is Buffalo's "Greenwich village" or what GV used to be like I guess.

as far as best neighborhoods: Delaware District and North Park. Central Park is close behind too.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
ROCguy said:
Ok, I'm talking of geographicaly south Buffalo, like Potters; McKinley Parkway that area. That's not Polish? I swear on my life you could practically taste the peirogies in the air when going through that area.
I don't think that's Polish, though I don't know for sure. When I think of the old Polish neighborhoods, I usually picture the whole slice of the East Side between William and Genesee. I usually drive Potters at least once a week, there's nothing too defining about the neighborhood, at least that which you'd notice just passing through. I know the most die-hard Irish portion of South Buffalo appears to be the Abbott-South Park-McKinley area (Heacock to Cazenovia Parks). Just drove through there about 45 minutes ago in fact. Irish flags far outnumber American ones in that area. I'm part Irish, and I know my mother's side of the family used to live there, now they live on Kirkwood in West Seneca, immediately outside the C/L (which is more "city" than "suburb").

Speaking of South Buffalo, I saw my first Suozzi lawn sign today. Personally I hate those signs, but at least we know someone else around can recognize results when they see them.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Well, I voted for the West Village, but that was probably obvious. :)
I'm off for a few days in Baltimore (for work), and then spending the weekend in DC visiting some friends. Thought I'd check my email one last time before I hit the road this morning, at 7:00 AM. I can't believe one of the last things I'm doing before I leave is voting in this poll! Yikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.