SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is for innovative uses of wood and wood-based materials in construction (including processed wood like paper and wood laminates, but excluding bamboo, which is a grass), highlighting constructions made fully or substantially in wood. This also includes discussion on advantages and disadvantages of wood, costs, challenges, and sustainability.

PLANNED THREADS IN BUILDING IN… SERIES

Building in bricks
Building in concrete
Building in glass
Building in grass
Building in metal
Building in mud
Building in plastic
Building prefab
Building in stone
Building with water
Building in wood (this)

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
I am not sure if this example counts as innovative, but it appears to me as being exactly that. A temporary wooden observation tower as part of the construction site of the new main railway station of Vienna. It offers a platform at app. 40 m height and an overall height of 66.7 m.
It is made of 150 t of spruce and held together by steel screws

·
Registered
5 Posts
That one sounds to be an interesting one. I wonder what would be the motive of building such an figure at that place, but I must say that it is indeed praiseworthy. The architectures of the woods would indeed seem something that would indeed prove to be a source of inspiration for many.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I think I have reservations about constructing skyscrapers involving wood as a structural material. And I don't know about any steel- or concrete-framed skyscrapers just using wood in their exterior facades. It is because of the potential for termites eating up the wood used in those buildings, causing major structural damage to them, which may be unrepairable.

Reactions: Demos-cratos

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More crosspost from the same thread/city (Oslo):

This project is now out for public consultation with a deadline to the 3rd of July. The project have also gotten slightly re-designed during planning and it now consist of four buildings instead of the previously shown five ones. Although they are of course merely glorified commie blocks, I do kind of like them. The project will include a public accessible stair and accompanying recreation area.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.910...yFqgGJLg5XSwNYfCX0Jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More from Norway, in Norwegian unfortunately, for those with an interest in blowing things up. The Norwegian Defence Estates Agency would like to know how resilient modern solid wood elements are to explosives, so they are blowing them up. In this test they put up a couple wooden walls 15 meters (50') from 400 kg of TNT equivalent.

Here demolition experts try to blow up solid wood elements

Supposedly the results were "better than expected", but that is a measure that depends on earlier expectations. Still, could be worse:

Different effect on the two panels. One had only minor cracks and damage, the other more obvious damage. The latter had a crack before the denotation.

Next they are going to start shooting at the walls, with different projectiles and angles of attack. We might not expect solid wood bunkers though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Amsterdam

Patch 22
Student living. Very expensive students housing btw.

The HAUT
Aptly named to sound like the word for wood (hout) in Dutch, is a new planned 73 meter tall wooden building.

Zaandam (next to Amsterdam)
It's not all wood. But it has a huge wood-effect...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If there ever was a "Building in gingerbread" thread to this series, this one would be given. I think it is so over the top that, as soon as I could process it all, I love it. At least from the outside.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The race for tallest wooden building continues.

Currently it is The Brock Commons at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, slightly taller than The Tree in Bergen, Norway.

The tallest building under construction is Mjøstårnet in Brumundal, also Norway. It will soon top out at 81 meters.

·
Registered
360 Posts
can we also put examples of old buildings?

Quaid-e-Azam residency (also known as Ziarat residency) in Pakistan. Built in 1892

I don't know if there's a style to define it, I've never seen anything like this house before

1 - 20 of 32 Posts