Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it may be interesting to start a thread in which to showcase and discuss heritage buildings that are at risk in your city. What are the issues; why is the building at risk; and what is being done about this, if anything?

I'll kick off with The Wellington Rooms in Liverpool. This neo-classical building, built in 1816, Grade 11* sits at the top end of Mount Pleasant, near to the catholic cathedral. It was originally built by subscription and was used to host high society balls, dinners and parties. It is known locally as The Irish Centre - since that was its last use before it finally closed its doors in the late 1990's. It is in a sorry and deteriorating state. There have been proposals over the years to turn it into a hotel; and a dance centre/performing arts space - but nothing has ever come to fruition.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
Good shout OJ. Any idea on ownership and/or campaigns currently?

It strikes me that given it's proximatey to a large hotel/events company and the universities that there are neighbours who could do something here if they had the will. Which begs the question, is the owner trying to make a Grade II ousted building reach a point of being beyond repair and/or are other parties hoping for a clear site in a prime location?

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taken from website:

Liverpool City Council wishes to try and identify a viable scheme to restore and bring back into use the Grade II* listed Wellington Rooms, a Georgian Assembly Rooms and Ballroom. The building is on English Heritage's national Buildings at Risk Register, and is a key public landmark identified by Liverpool City Council in its 'Stop-the-Rot' campaign. Heritage Works has undertaken two feasibility studies/options appraisals, which have provided the Council with information to assist in taking statutory action.

The Irish Centre closed in the late 1990s and the lease of the building passed to a property developer who wanted to convert and extend the building to create a hotel. The project was refused planning permission, however, as it was felt that the conversion would not preserve the integrity of the building. The residual portion of the developer's lease passed to the Crown in early 2011. Liverpool City Council, which owns the freehold of the site and also has statutory responsibilities for the listed building, has served a number of notices on the leaseholder, in order to try and arrest the serious outbreak of dry rot. Temporary eradication measures and emergency roof repairs have been carried out, but the fine interiors with ornamental plasterwork continue to be at risk. The cause of the Wellington Rooms has also been taken up by Liverpool Echo's "Stop the Rot" campaign and is a national priority for The Georgian Group.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
Hotel would be ideal, that's why I'm scratching my head about The Feathers, surely they could take it on even if it means working closely with the council and heritage bodies to ensure a sympathetic development. If nothing happens it'll just rot and it's in a cracking position in a great area.

·
B*tch
15,140 Posts
Hunslet Mill buildings. The roof of one of them was blown off in December.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffordstead/11237886825/

I think there have been plans to convert them into something.. but nothing has come to fruition. They are close to the Yarn Street residential development, so are in a prime location (or will be eventually).

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hotel would be ideal, that's why I'm scratching my head about The Feathers, surely they could take it on even if it means working closely with the council and heritage bodies to ensure a sympathetic development. If nothing happens it'll just rot and it's in a cracking position in a great area.
I think it could well end up being taken on by one university or other....but whilst that may save the building - it would most likely deny general public access. However, saving the building is the most important priority - and bringing it back into use in a prime area, I think.

Heritage campaigners come from a variety of different perspectives. There are some who just don't like anything modern at all; don't like towers, skyscrapers etc - and I suspect that this was the case with The Wellington Building: they were the most organised and vocal.....I think even a glass box-type extension would have been acceptable if well designed, and a hotel would have been just right for this location.

Not sure about The Feathers Hotel- it looks quite smart from the outside. Have you ever been in/know what is is like?

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,807 Posts
The Coal Exchange, Cardiff

The building was once the commercial epicentre of the South Wales coal industry. "The first million £ cheque was signed here". Some of the interior is really exquisite.

Basically the building is falling apart (badly), tenants have been moved out, and it currently sits empty. Now there's been a prolonged palaver about how/when to redevelop the place while the building continues to deteriorate. They've also fucked about with parts of the exterior over the years (and there's also a bizarre concrete bunker ramp outside which obscures the main entrance) which hasn't helped.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
London Road Fire Station is the big one in Manchester. I'm going to the AGM of the Friends group on Thrusday, so hopefully I'll have a bit more information then.

Thanks to The Friends of London Road Fire Station for the Photo. Look at the website for more details.

The other is the Ancoats Dispensary, whose own friends group recently won some lottery money to secure the structure of the building while a new use is found for it.

Ancoats Dispensary Trust for more details

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
London Road Fire Station has been a saga for years! I remember the news years ago about a hotel, then a hotel retaining the facade and a tower in the middle... If the owners/leaseholders don't release these buildings for use within a reasonable period there really ought to be fast track, enforceable legislation to hand them over to a social enterprise or similar.

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Coal Exchange, Cardiff

The building was once the commercial epicentre of the South Wales coal industry. "The first million £ cheque was signed here". Some of the interior is really exquisite.

Basically the building is falling apart (badly), tenants have been moved out, and it currently sits empty. Now there's been a prolonged palaver about how/when to redevelop the place while the building continues to deteriorate. They've also fucked about with parts of the exterior over the years (and there's also a bizarre concrete bunker ramp outside which obscures the main entrance) which hasn't helped.
That top picture looks like a trading floor?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
^^ Painfully beautiful.

I've been in that building. Thing is behind that facade it's just one massive warehouse floor, there's loads like it in Cheetham Hill, such a difficult kind of space to find a decent use for. Certainly can't be apartments - so you're left with skateboard park/artists studios/venue etc - none of which can be great for looking after the building long term.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts