SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, except the Westside shopping and leisure center, does there somebody know any project which is built on a road (like motorway, ring road around a city)?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, first you should give us some more information about the westside shopping center?
OK, google is my friend and it seems to be a shopping center by Libeskind in Bern, Switzerland (website)

Well, there is a housing complex in Berlin built upon an autobahn (Link, only in german, sorry)

And of course there is the airrail center in Frankfurt, not on a road, but on railway tracks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it’s designed by libeskind, thanks
Well, first you should give us some more information about the westside shopping center?
OK, google is my friend and it seems to be shopping center by Libeskind in Bern, Switzerland (website)

Well, there is a housing complex in Berlin built built upon an autobahn (Link, only in german, sorry)

And of course there is the airrail center in Frankfurt, not on a road, but on railway tracks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
interesting question indeed! And great examples by scyane

there are quite a few, that I know of

another one in Berlin, a 70's project nicknamed Bierpinsel

Renzo Piano built the New Metropolis museum in Amsterdam, which is built on the tunnel-exit of an ingoing semi-highway.

In The Hague there is the Malietoren by Benthem en Crouwel, on top of the highway entering the city.

·
Registered
812 Posts
OK, google is my friend and it seems to be a shopping center by Libeskind in Bern, Switzerland (website)

Well, there is a housing complex in Berlin built upon an autobahn (Link, only in german, sorry)

here is a translated version of the german-only page: click here!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Prudential Center in Boston, MA, USA. Includes a 52 floor skyscraper built over I-90.
Copley Center in Boston over I-90.
A parking garage over I-90 in Boston.
There is a hotel in Chestnut Hill, MA built over I-90.
A Grocery Store over I-90 in Newton, MA.

Also, Fall River, MA, USA city hall is built over I-195.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Tower Bridge is a pretty famous example

edit: maybe it isn't classed as "built on a road" because it was buildt together etc. In that case I'm sorry :)

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
182 Posts
Here's an example from my city. Not as big as most of those developments, but a nice use of space anyway!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts