Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Love Chicago!
14,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I created this thread to honor the 100-year old Chinese-American architect, Ieoh Ming Pei! Post pictures of buildings designed by this legend here.

I'll start with the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong, which is perhaps the most famous building designed by Pei. We'll soon see with the finale of the Pei Cup!

Bank Of China Tower. Hong Kong, 2013. by Rodino Ayala, on Flickr

·
39,922 Posts
One of the earlier IM Pei designs featured the support columns flaring out in the lobby. It was spectacular but got simplified to the design below. Commerce Court was completed in 1972 and rises to 239m. It is the global HQ of Canada's 5th biggest bank.

Commerce Court West, Toronto

Courtesy of gvrpix

·
I Love Chicago!
14,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:shocked: I. M. Pei died today?!

Rest in peace! The world will forever remember your contributions to architecture!

·
129,529 Posts
I.M. Pei's legacy stretched from the West to the East
17 May 2019

BEIJING (AP) — The legacy of American architect I.M. Pei stretches from west to east, from the Louvre museum to his native China, where he helped fuse tradition and modernity as the country opened up after the Cultural Revolution.

Pei, who died earlier this week at the age of 102, added elegance to landscapes worldwide with powerful geometric shapes and grand spaces, from a trapezoidal addition to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., to the giant glass pyramid at the Louvre.

Born in southern China, he migrated to the United States and was one of the first overseas architects to visit China during its initial period of opening up, said Tan Xin, a garden designer who worked with him in the early 1980s on the Fragrant Hill Hotel, which still stands on the outskirts of Beijing.

Pei was highly influential in helping Chinese architects and landscapers imagine how Chinese architecture could be modernized while retaining its traditional elements.

"He was so modest and unassuming," Tan said in an interview Friday at her Beijing office. "Even though he was Chinese American, he loved China and traditional Chinese culture. In our architectural and cultural worlds at the time, he was a pioneer."

While the Fragrant Hill, or "Xiangshan," hotel is widely considered one of Pei's less successful works, he adapted the same concepts to the much-loved Suzhou Museum, situated in his family's southeastern ancestral home.

The museum blends features of Suzhou's famed classical gardens and white stucco dwellings with a modern facade of steel and glass. He endearingly called it his "young daughter."

Pei "has made important contributions to the mutual understanding between the Chinese and American people and the exchange of eastern and western cultures for a long time," a spokesman for China's foreign ministry said Friday.

More : https://www.apnews.com/756549f39c9e4e62929245b15bc88357

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Commerce Court West, Toronto

What I always loved about this skinny modernist masterpiece (studied by architects and engineers from around world in the '70s)... is it lands right on the ground in front of you.

A couple of steps off the sidewalk and you can touch the tower (and shoot many crazy photos looking up). Nearly 50 years later it remains a most beautiful "box" ;-)

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Baltimore World Trade Center, Baltimore:

Baltimore World Trade Center by Ben Schumin, on Flickr

I heard it's the world's tallest regular pentagonal building!
It is! Baltimore only has 4 towers over 150m, but we at least have the world's tallest in something! Not part of the original design,but it's now spectacular at night. The five corners are illuminated in various colors from base to top..sometimes white, red, orange, and I may have seen blue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts