Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
I hate seeing buildings demolished. A refurbishment can bring out the best of any building.
It's also cruel to those who like them as they are, to wish a building destroyed.

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am afraid some buildings have failed because of their architecture, social implications and poor design/build quality. When you have such negative buildings - negative to communities and social cohesion, it is best to demolish them, and start again, like we have been doing with much of the Brutalist tower blocks in london, sadly these have survived and they need to come down.

·
Recoleto
712 Posts
Mar Del Plata & Buenos Aires, Argentina

Mar del Plata, Argentina

I would love to see this L-shaped building demolished.

And this whole block destroyed.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

And I'd love to see this piece of cr*p destroyed as well.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
High Point, Westgate, Bradford
Absolutely not.

You people have no understanding nor appreciation of beton brut architecture. Most people said the exact same thing about crappy victorian townhouses and they demolished them - we mustn't repeat our mistakes.

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most brutalist architecture in the UK was a mistake. The people, the councils, the architects mostly all agree and people celebrate each time a nasty souless tower comes down. They also agree that demolishing victorian terraces (which were better built than the 1960s brutalist shit) simply because there were 'poor' living there was a crime.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
You have the same mentality as the developers from the past. All those towers need is a renovation.

Prime example: Park Hill, Sheffield was once run down and ugly. But then it was restored and people started buying the apartments there like never before. 1000 people in two weeks after completion wanted to buy, when before it was one of the worst spots in the city. Plus, it was still brutalist in its architecture.
It will be good when wanting these towers demolished will be an outdated idea and more heritage groups will defend them. It's already starting since they're reaching past 40-50 years old.

This is what many victorian townhouses looked like. Drab and ugly, begging for replacement by something groundbreaking. No doubt these are something we'd restore today.

·
Banned
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have the same mentality as the developers from the past. All those towers need is a renovation.

Prime example: Park Hill, Sheffield was once run down and ugly. But then it was restored and people started buying the apartments there like never before. And it was still brutalist in its architecture.
It will be good when wanting these towers demolished will be an outdated idea and more heritage groups will defend them. It's already starting since they're reaching past 40-50 years old.
Nope, I believe in living in a humanist way, not in towers built of damp concrete and plastic. As stated, the victorian terraces were better built.

These commie blocks destroyed more culture than they produced. People celebrate correctly when they are torn down.

·
Registered
361 Posts
architecture. Most people said the exact same thing about crappy victorian townhouses and they demolished them - we mustn't repeat our mistakes.
I guess it's exactly the modernist mentality, so isn't a bit a paradox to preserve everything? For myself, I like some brutalism, but I would certainly not cry the day that something horrible like the Torre Velasca will be tore down.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
yeah, because living in nasty rat-infested streets with cumbling old brick houses made for factory workers living in the darkest days of the industrial revolution is so much mure human. Some culture, eh?

Torre Velasca is not brutalism by any means. It is postmodernist and even that building deserves a restoration after almost 60 years.
You may not cry, but others will, especially the future generations. Nobody will listen to them, though, because people have this grandiose delusion that somehow everybody hates what they themselves don't like, and that the only solution is to demolish, demolish, demolish. Not improve, but to rip from the earth and purge from history.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Torre Velasca is not brutalism by any means.
http://www.squer.it/of/brutalismo-a...ico-la-photogallery-degli-edifici-piu-brutti/
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalismo
http://www.linkiesta.it/blogs/blair...na-mamma-e-figlia-londra/il-brutalismo-e-voga

according to a ton of links (and even to the books I remember) the Velasca is a brutalist building.

You may not cry, but others will, especially the future generations. Nobody will listen to them, though, because people have this grandiose delusion that somehow everybody hates what they themselves don't like, and that the only solution is to demolish, demolish, demolish. Not improve, but to rip from the earth and purge from history.
We're not talking just of my personal taste, considering that tower is usually in a lot of lists of the ugliest buldings in the whole world, and for a good reason.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Prime example: Park Hill, Sheffield was once run down and ugly. But then it was restored and people started buying the apartments there like never before. 1000 people in two weeks after completion wanted to buy, when before it was one of the worst spots in the city. Plus, it was still brutalist in its architecture.
Tenements have been criticised for being run down, damp, cramped and un-modern. However I don't think I've ever heard people criticising them for being ugly, except for modernist city planners.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Tenements have been criticised for being run down, damp, cramped and un-modern. However I don't think I've ever heard people criticising them for being ugly, except for modernist city planners.
They were also largely demolished for being slums with unsanitary conditions.

It does surprise me, given the housing shortage in the UK, that builders have stopped building rows of terraced houses.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Absolutely not.

You people have no understanding nor appreciation of beton brut architecture
People hate them because they look ugly.

The architectural achievement in their design/build isn't important to people who have to live with them, and it's extremely arrogant for architects to think their vision outweighs that.

If a new building makes peoples' lives worse, not better, then it's a failure

1 - 20 of 37 Posts