Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purely a what if thread...

Only on rare occasions do I get jealous of other countries...and right now was one such occasion... while reading an article about the upcoming UEFA decision about the host country(s) of the EURO 2012 competition in the Croatian media. Apparently, some experts see the joint Croatia/Hungary bid making the shortlist of three , announcemnt of which should be made by Novermber this year.

I believe this is just the event thats challenging enough for Serbia & Montengro to host. But after over a decade of ecomonic sanctions , wars in neighbouring countries and NATO aggression...our infrastructure simply can't compare with countries like Greece. Hell, not even Portugal, which hosted the EURO last year. So, we'd have to team up with another country if we were to do it before 2020. Most preferable would be Bulgaria, with whom we have common history, culture and language.

Bids for 2012 have already been locked , so we can only bid for 2016, in case UEFA decides its too soon for Eastern Europe to host the competition in 2012.

Also, it all depends on Bulgaria/Sofia's bid to host the 2014 Winter Olympics, decision about that will be made in 2007. Serbia & Montenegro , after losing the bid narrowly to Turkey, will likely bid again to host the 2014 World Basketball Championships, so that could affect our bid for EURO as well.

So, we got lots of time until then...lets see what the two countries have in stadium and other related infrastructure:yes:

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
There will be another Balkan war when the two sides decide in which capital should the finals take place.:tongue2:

·
Super Moderator
11,306 Posts
:lol:
I think Bulgaria's stadia are even worse than Serbia's even after all the troubles it's been ;)
Well they have renovated them, but we do need to build brand new stadia, at least 3 in Bulgaria, or enlarge the current ones and give them a roof, damn it!
As for the final, I think Beograd should get them, I think you guys have a bigger stadium, and in any case, a better past in European football.
Not a bad idea, though I've always dreamed that Bulgaria would team up with Romania.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
3tmk said:
:lol:
I think Bulgaria's stadia are even worse than Serbia's even after all the troubles it's been ;)
Well they have renovated them, but we do need to build brand new stadia, at least 3 in Bulgaria, or enlarge the current ones and give them a roof, damn it!
As for the final, I think Beograd should get them, I think you guys have a bigger stadium, and in any case, a better past in European football.
Not a bad idea, though I've always dreamed that Bulgaria would team up with Romania.
Mlah, Beograd does sound like the prime venue non?:D I can just imagine that, but given the fact that I'll be probably in my golden years when Belgrade does win that, hehehe better not anyway.:D

@ Aristotle, Mein Herz Brent? Somebody likes Rammstein...;)

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
Filip said:
There will be another Balkan war when the two sides decide in which capital should the finals take place.:tongue2:
lol, good that Croats and Hungarians have already agreed on which venues and what events would be held where, lol, this is perhaps why they are favourites to hold the event?

If you don't know opening ceremony will be in Zagreb and closing ceremony in Budapest, semi-final's will be split btw Split and Pecs and finals in Budapest.

Croatia will also host more events about 55/45 split, but this not cose Croats wanted to host more events it is rather opposite reasons, cose Hungarians wanted to visit Croatia and have holiday along the football matches, yes you guesses most matches will be along coastlines, Split, Zadar and Rijeka and inland Zagreb and Osijek, in Hungary Budapest, Pecs, Gyor and Debrecen will host main football events....

This is, if the joint Cro-Hungarian Bid succeeds. On the another note, Slovenia and Croatia might want to jointly organise Winter Olympics in not distant future, there is a talk about it for 2014 and 2018 bids.... :) :cheers:

·
Registered
199 Posts
It would've made more sense for Serbia and Croatia to bid together...

Partizan will probably build a new stadium. I think they are serious about it. Just need to attract new investors. And Serbia needs new laws that would regulate professional sports.

This project would reconstruct the existing stadium:

Or build a completely new one:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts