·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A NEW PIPELINE project planned for transporting RUSSIAN OIL
from the Bulgarian Black Sea port of BURGAS to the Greek port of
ALEXANDROUPOLIS in the Aegean

The cost of the 280-kilometer long Burgas to Alexandroupolis oil
pipeline is estimated at around $750-800 million.
It will be able to transport 35 million tons of crude oil per year.

Apart from the pipeline, the project also includes:

a) Oil storage tanks in Burgas with a total capacity of 600,000 tons
b) An upgrading of the port of Burgas;
c) Oil storage tanks in Alexandroupolis with a total capacity of 1.2
million tons; and
d) Treatment installations for the tankers in the port or offshore
Alexandroupolis. It is estimated that around 25-30 tankers will be off loaded
in Alexandroupolis each month.

On Tuesday between Greece, Russia and Bulgaria
(from ERT)

Political Seal on Pipeline
07 Apr 2005 17:43:00

By Vivian Papastefanou

The political agreement between Greece, Russia and Bulgaria on the creation of the Burgas-Alexandroupoli pipeline will be signed in Moscow on Tuesday after 13 years of persistent negotiations.

The announcement came today from the Minister of Development Dimitris Sioufas and the Ambassadors of Russia and Bulgaria in Athens, Andrey Vdovin and Stefan Stoyanov. Mr Sioufas spoke of a "historic moment" and stressed that with the signing of the agreement, the foundations are laid for the construction of a pipeline that will contribute to the strategic upgrading of the region and of Greece, as well as to the strengthening of cooperation between the three countries. He also stressed that the pipeline, in combination with the other energy networks planned in the region (connection of the Greek natural gas network with those of Turkey and Italy, a Western Balkans natural gas pipeline, regional energy market for SE Europe and the Black Sea), make Greece an energy interchange.

"Historic Moment"

Mr Sioufas praised the contribution of the Foreign Minister Petros Molyviatis, the deputy Foreign and Development Ministers, Mr Stilianidis and Mr Salangoudis, as well as his counterpart ministers from Russia, Viktor Khrishtenko and from Bulgaria Viktor Cherovski. Besides this, he noted the contribution of the previous government and announced that PM Kostas Karamanlis and party leaders had been briefed on the development.

The ambassador of Russia stressed that the three countries have historic ties and are gaining another, as well as that with the signing a new period will open to make the work a reality.

Bulgaria’s ambassador underlined that his government has supported the plan for years.

The pipeline will be 285 kilometres long, starting with Burgas Port in Bulgaria and ending in Alexandroupoli. It will be able to carry 35 million tones of oil per year and will operate to complete the present situation in the Bosphorus Straits, where currently oil from the region is transported with tankers. The total cost of the work is estimated to reach 750-800 million dollars. Work to construct the pipeline will soon begin after the signing of the political agreement in Sofia.

For Greece, DEP Thraki (Greek Oil and Latsis-Kopelouzou Groups) are participating in the work. However, depending on the interest shown, the possibility of other companies participating remains open.

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts
so it's finally on?
I've been reading about this for years, and they've delayed the signature for months...
well I'm not much into pipelines, but it will help the economy of the 3 countries, and boost cooperation in the whole region.
However I remember Lloyd did not like this project that will pollute the adriatic sea, and called all 3 countries banana states :lol:
stevan I might need your avatar :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3tmk said:
so it's finally on?
I've been reading about this for years, and they've delayed the signature for months...
well I'm not much into pipelines, but it will help the economy of the 3 countries, and boost cooperation in the whole region.
However I remember Lloyd did not like this project that will pollute the adriatic sea, and called all 3 countries banana states :lol:
stevan I might need your avatar :D

Yes finally they sign as you read in the article above.

Sorry , but who is Lloyd?
I dont know this comment that you wrote as he said but if he did , perhaps the only banana thing is his head. :) lol
And what has to do "adriatic sea" with this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Danube bridge2 and burgas alexandrupolis are some sort of infrastrucure-chimeras in Bulgaria, they've been talked of and "started" for ages. I hope this time it's for real, though I bet my ass one of the three sides will delay it

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts
^yup, lately I think it was the Russians.
anyway, Lloyd was a troll, and what he meant was that this pipeline will mean more tanker traffic in the sea, and basically more chances of oil spills, and well I do have to admit that it would be a shame to have it stained.
but mostly his attack was on Albania and that they have bad infrastructure.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
POLITICAL AGREEMENT FOR THE BURGAS-ALEXANDROUPOLIS OIL PIPELINE

Sofia, 12 April 2005 (12:46 UTC+2)

Greece, Russia and Bulgaria sign a political agreement in Sofia today for the construction of the Burgas-Alexandroupolis oil pipeline.

The Burgas-Alexandroupolis oil pipeline will be 285 kilometers long and is expected to cost about 750 million euros becoming a supplementary gate and an alternative way through for the 100 million tons of Russian oil that cross Bosporus every year.

The joint venture Hellenic Petroleum and the Latsis-Kopelouzos Groups will participate in the project's construction on Greece's part, while the likelihood of participation of other companies is open according to the interest expressed.

The agreement will be signed by the responsible ministers of the three countries and will mark the completion of negotiations that lasted 12 years and the opening of talks aimed at settling important details.

The construction of the project will last about 2 years and its annual capacity will be 35 million tons of oil.

The Russian side will participate in the construction of the project with the companies Transneft, Stroytransgas, Yukos and ФНК-ВС while the Bulgarian side will participate probably with the company Neftochem.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,926 Posts
State officials from Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro inked Friday the memorandum for building a pipeline to link the two states.

The construction of the Dupnitsa-Dimitrovgrad-Nis facility will cost about EUR 60 M and will take five years. The pipeline will be 250km long.

Bulgaria's Energy Minister Miroslav Sevlievski and Radomir Naumov, the Serbian minister of energy and mining, signed the document that greenlighted the project.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I am wondering whether Greece is going ot be the primary consumer of this oil, because there is supposed to be some competition with Burgas-Vlora pipeline. If Greece is not going to be the consumer of this oil and is meant to go elsewhere from there, then Burga-Vlora sounds better on economic terms because of the proximity with Italy. By the way, is there much oil production in Greece. Numbers would be apreciated. Moreover, what are Greece's strongest financial institutions. What are all those Latsis, Dardinoyannis groups etc? I am kind of surprised that Hellinic Petrelea do not seem interested in Albanian oilfields.

·
Registered
985 Posts
By the way, is there much oil production in Greece. Numbers would be apreciated. Moreover, what are Greece's strongest financial institutions. What are all those Latsis, Vardinoyannis groups etc? I am kind of surprised that Hellenic Petrelea do not seem interested in Albanian oilfields.
I will check it out and i will post some data.(about the oil)
Latsis and Vardinoyannis are really big groups with a variety of activities (banking,maritime,constructions etc).
Latsis from what i know is in the list of the 3 richest greeks. (his father was the famous shipowner who together with onassis and niarchos were the giants of the oceans during 60s and 70s)

I am wondering whether Greece is going ot be the primary consumer of this oil, because there is supposed to be some competition with Burgas-Vlora pipeline. If Greece is not going to be the consumer of this oil and is meant to go elsewhere from there, then Burga-Vlora sounds better on economic terms because of the proximity with Italy.
Backdoorman i will try to answer to some of your questions (perhaps geroplatanos will also contribute later).
Greece is not going to be the primary consumer of the oil that will arrive in burgas from Russia .(though it will use some quantities of course)
All the new pipeline projects (see the pic bellow) will actually relief the straits and will give more alternatives for the oil to arrive to the west.
There is no any special "antagonism" between all the new pipeline projects , all of them have the same objective and they are designed to bring some profits to the companies that will operate them.

Here are the crude oil export alternatives that bypass the straits :

Index

A.Odessa-Brodby-Baltic sea
B.Constanza-Trieste
C.Burgas-Flore
D.Burgas-Alexandroupolis
E.Kyikoy-Ibrice
F.Samsun-Ceyhan

As you see there are many projects , each will try to be the most succesfull , depending on criteria such as:

1. Cost Efficiency
2. Diversification of Routings
3. Political Risks
a. Political stability of territory
b. Political support
4. Technical & Technological Risks
5. Environmental Risks
6. Viability and Financial Risks
a. Oil availability and guarantees
b. Legal and economical governmental commitments.
Governmental transit framework initially agreed.
c. The transport cost to be financially comparable with
the existing through the Straights routings.

If you are interested for a short updated description of the project with some nice figures you can download this .pdf file (writen from the chied of the Burgas-Al. project at the Latsis group) (this is from where i got the info):

http://www.doingbusiness.ro/summit/...s/16.30 - 18.00/BAOPP-Christodoulos_Dimas.pdf

·
Registered
985 Posts
bsr thanks for the info , it is obvious that the route you posted is better!
I did not know this , i just posted the previous map from a source in the net .
:)

·
Registered
985 Posts
07 February 2007

http://www.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_kathremote_4_07/02/2007_180971

It seems that everything goes well , after 14 years of negotiations...

and from www.ana.gr
Greece, Bulgaria, Russia initial agreement for pipeline

Representatives from Greece, Russia and Bulgaria on Wednesday took yet another step towards finalising a long-expected agreement to construct and operate an oil pipeline linking the western Black Sea coast with the northeastern Aegean -- a route bypassing the increasingly congested Bosporus straits.

The Greek side was represented by development ministry general-secretary Nikos Stefanou, who initialled the draft agreement in the eponymous Black Sea port of Burgas from where the pipeline will begin before running overland and concluding at the NE Greek port of Alexandroupoli.

"This is a historic moment and a national success ... Results are absolutely positive," Development Minister Dimitris Sioufas said from Athens, after he briefed Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis on the development.

The Greek minister added that the final tripartite agreement will be signed in Athens early next month, while an exact date remains to be finalised via diplomatic channels.

In other statements, Sioufas lauded the project's significance for international energy supply networks, for Greece and Bulgaria, as well as regional development as a whole.

Additionally, he praised all the governments since 1993 for their contribution in promoting the project, including current Greek President Karolos Papoulias (who was the foreign minister in 1994) and Latsis group executive Nikos Grigoriadis, who first outlined the idea of such a pipeline.

Finally, the Greek minister listed a handful of projects aimed at transforming the country into a regional energy hub: construction of a Turkey-Greece Nat gas pipeline; the establishment of a SE Europe energy community; an agreement with Rome for the construction of an underwater extension of the natural gas pipeline, and finally, Burgas-Alexandroupoli.

Greece, Bulgaria and Russia have already signed a series of lesser political agreements for the cross-border pipeline, with the last one in September 2006. At the time the project was budgeted at approximately 700 million euros. The 285-kilometre pipeline will carry Russian oil from Burgas in Bulgaria to Alexandroupoli in northern Greece and has an estimated investment cost of 750-800 million US dollars with an annual capacity of 35 million tons of oil initially.

Caption: Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis, centre, walks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, right, and Bulgarian President Georgi Purvanov at the Maximos Mansion in Athens in a file photo dated Monday, Sept. 4, 2006. The three leaders met to accelerate efforts at concluding an agreement for Burgas-Alexandropouli. ANA-MPA / G. Antoniou.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts