Votes: 2 1.8%
  • other

Votes: 20 18.0%
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carl's Jr. has announced its intention to enter Canada (first via BC, AB, and ON). For those who don't know this chain (and its sister Hardee's), it's famous for its Thickburger amongst other not too-good-for-you things...Paris Hilton is in its most recent Spicy Thickburger commercials.

Monday, May 23, 2005 Updated at 12:21 PM EDT
From Monday's Globe and Mail

"The $7.59 Burger" doesn't quite roll off the tongue but that's not stopping American fast-food chain Carl's Jr. -- famous for its mammoth Six Dollar Burger in the United States -- from entering the Canadian market.

Carpinteria, Calif.-based CKE Restaurants Inc. is planning to bring its Carl's Jr. chain to this country -- currently searching for franchisees, regional developers and possibly someone to hold the entire Canadian master franchise.

"We've always had an eye on the Canadian market . . . it's really our No. 1 priority [internationally]," Ned Lyerly, CKE's vice-president of international operations, said in an interview.

The company will first focus on urban areas in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, and hopes to start opening stores within 18 months. It "makes sense logistically" to have the bulk of its locations in the Western provinces because most of the chain's 3,200 American restaurants are peppered across the U.S. Southwest, Mr. Lyerly said.

Advertisements

"We think that our burger platform and our positioning as a premium-quality burger chain . . . certainly has a place, and we're looking forward to serving some young, hungry burger lovers out there."

Founded as a hot-dog cart operator by Carl Karcher in Los Angeles in the 1940s -- about 10 years before Ray Kroc opened his first McDonald's restaurant in Des Plains, Ill. -- CKE boomed in post-war California, transforming itself into a drive-in burger seller. Sixty years later, CKE has annual sales of $1.5-billion (U.S.) and 30,000 employees working under the Carl's Jr., Hardee's, Green Burrito and La Salsa Fresh Mexican Grill banners.

Canadians are expected to spend almost $14-billion (Canadian) at fast-food restaurants this year. Of that tally, 32 per cent will be spent at burger joints, according to market research firm NPD Group Canada.

Figures also reveal that while customer visits to fast-food eateries increased 2 per cent over the past year, servings of hamburgers declined 2 per cent.

"It's a tight marketplace right now, we're not seeing any gains in traffic," NPD vice-president Jim Robinson said. It will be interesting to see how McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Ltd. -- the largest burger seller in the land -- responds to Carl's Jr.'s entrance, he said.

"The question will be, can Carl's do a Quiznos? Because everyone thought Subway was invincible and nobody could eat more sandwiches, until Quiznos came in and introduced an upscale sandwich at a higher price point," he said.

"Are people willing to pay for a bigger burger in quick service? That is the key question."

As chains like McDonald's and Wendy's International Inc. have altered menus to include healthier items like salads, yogurt parfaits and grilled chicken sandwiches, CKE trumpets heftier products.

Carl's Jr.'s flagship sandwich is called The Six Dollar Burger -- a half-pound beef patty with cheese and mayonnaise. It also sells a double version of that burger that has one pound of beef. The burger will have a different name in Canada, Mr. Lyerly said, adding "we've got something up our sleeve . . . [but] it won't be The $7.50 burger."

Last year, CKE's Hardee's chain rolled out the Monster Thickburger, which includes two 1/3-pound patties of beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered bun.

The chain is also known for racy advertising campaigns that target 18- to 34-year-old men -- the key burger-eating demographic.

CKE made waves in the U.S. advertising industry last week with a commercial starring Paris Hilton. With a rock version of I Love Paris in the Summer in the background, the ad features Ms. Hilton in a revealing black swimsuit, seductively washing a black Rolls Royce and biting into the chain's spicy new burger.

In 2003, Carl's aired a commercial with Playboy founder Hugh Hefner surrounded by scantily clad models. At the end, the announcer says: "Because some guys don't like the same thing night after night."

This isn't the first time CKE has done business in Canada. In 1997, the company paid Montreal's Imasco Ltd. $457-million for the Hardee's burger chain. Hardee's, however, is not allowed in Canada because of possible patent infringement with Cara Operations Ltd.'s Harvey's chain.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Fatburger, popular in SoCal & Las Vegas recently opened their first location outside the U.S. here in Vancouver.

VANCOUVER, B.C., CANADA, May 2005 -- Vancouver's vibrant West End community will soon be home to the very first Fatburger restaurant in Canada, and the first location outside of the United States for the fast-growing hamburger chain founded in Los Angeles, California in 1952. Plans call for the new Fatburger restaurant to open on May 9 in a 1600-square-foot facility located at 1101 Denman Street, situated conveniently near the beach at popular English Bay and shopping on nearby Robson Street.

The restaurant will feature Fatburger's signature 1950's retro-style décor with neon lighting, open kitchen and counter seating. Music and sports memorabilia, including items commemorating British Columbia's BC Lions of the Canadian Football League, will be on display.

A garage-style door can be opened up to provide diners with a full view of Denman Street and to entice pedestrians into the burger stand. Approximately 35 staffers will be employed at the site, which can conveniently seat up to 48 guests inside.

The franchisee for Fatburger in Canada is Frank Di Benedetto of Frankie's Burger Enterprises, a self-proclaimed hamburger and hotdog fanatic who heard about Fatburger through his long-standing career in the restaurant industry.

"Growing up with a passion for the burger business, I knew I had to find out more about a burger place that dared to call itself Fatburger," joked Di Benedetto. What I learned made me want to become a franchisee. Now I'm thrilled to give other burger-loving Canadians a chance to try a Fatburger, too."

Plans are on the drawing board for Di Benedetto to open at least 20 Fatburger restaurants throughout Canada in the next few years.

As it opens in new markets, Fatburger continues to build a loyal following with its huge, great-tasting, homemade-style burgers that are freshly prepared to order. Fatburger restaurants have recently been opened in Georgia, Louisiana and New York.

With Fatburger's arrival in Canada, another important step in the company's 50-plus-year history will be achieved. "There are really no borders when it comes to great-tasting hamburgers," said Elaine Patel, director of marketing for Fatburger North America, Inc. "We're delighted to introduce Fatburger to a whole new country!"

To ensure customer satisfaction, each Fatburger, Turkeyburger and Chicken Sandwich is grilled immediately after it is ordered. Customers may garnish their Fatbuger or other sandwich with a wide selection of toppings, including cheese, bacon, a fried egg, and chili.

In addition to the trademark 1/3 lb. Fatburger, made with fresh USDA lean beef, guests may also select from a menu that features chili dogs, homemade onion rings, and "fat" or "skinny" fries. Milkshakes made with real hand-dipped ice cream top the list of beverages that includes an assortment of soft drinks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
tim hortons!

but seriously i think wendys is good

·
Registered
973 Posts
I heard about Fatburgar opening in Langely for this year but not downtown. BTW I hear one is still scheduled to open later this year in Langley.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That burger looks amazing.... But Harvey's is my favourite nonetheless.

Btw, Tim Hortons isn't a burger chain. But it is a coffee/donut/muffin/soup/sub chain...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't tell me you guys don't have In N' Out s. Man, I have not been any other burger place other than In N' Out in the last 12 years. Fyi, I ain't no fat, I just go maybe once a month.

Best of US for sure. Hopefully, Canada will also experience it one day. Then you will understand that all Carls, Wendies, Fatburgers blah blah are just nonsense.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Oh dear God, I was hoping they would never come to this country, now I have seen everything... I hope it's more short-lived than Krispy Kreme was in Canada. I am now sick to my stomach even as I speak. But for the best burger chain, it's definitely Harvey's. Because I have no access to a Lick's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
touraccuracy said:
WHITE SPOT
I agree too bad there is a lack of them in Alberta. But in BC there everywhere, I believe in Chevron Stations.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Lick's owns the burger-chain category in southern Ontario.

Wimpy's is another tasty chain.

But my new favourite is Dangerous Dan's. I'm working up to their coronary burger. Mmmmm. . . fat soaked paradise. :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I had a rare hanker'n for some crap chain burger the other day, and I couldn't recall which chain had the better one, so I popped into a Burger King, cause it was the first one I came across and ordered a Whopper/cheez.

The people working there were exceedingly slow and dim-witted. I was only the second person in line, with three people working up front, and it took over 5 minutes to get my order taken.

I knew things weren't good when I could see them "making" it (reconstituting it, whatever they do to it). They slid it into this thing that kinda looked like an Easy bake Oven for a little while.

So, I figure WTF, and I take my warm little package and my $8 "small" root beer to a window seat to watch Yonge St go by...that and a greasy burger and an overly sweet artificially flavoured carbonated beverage...what more could you ask for if you feel like slumming it?

I opened the package...and holy shit...what a sad looking burger...the bottom half of the "bun" was so thin and soggy, my fingers went through it!!! I've seen healthier "meat" on that 4000 year old mummy they thawed out in the Andies!!

I took a few bites and just threw it out and left...I figured complaining was a waste of time...this is what they sell, and people buy it.

I have no idea why Burger King is in business...the shit they sell is so disgusting....and I don't mean in the unhealthy, fatty, indulgent, decadent sense...it's just plain tasteless, garbage.

I already knew McDonalds was like that (I hadn't even considered them), but I had no idea BK was that bad. I've had some nasty streetmeat in the wee hours before, but this is the worse thing I've ever had.

Yes, Licks makes a pretty good burger...when I'm spending the day in the Beach, I always treat myself.

KGB

·
Rocking in the free world
374 Posts
Man, i havent eaten in like 6 hours and this thread is making me remarkably hungry
personally-i eat a load of fast food, but for some unknown reason im underweight, possibly because of exercise
im a big fan of mcdonalds

·
Registered
847 Posts
LOL.

Burger King is, if possible, worse than McDonalds. At least McDonalds doesn't make like their fare is anything more than what it is.

Of the choices, I had to go with Wendy's. Harvey's seems to be winning, but I've never heard of it...

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
For the best chickenburger I have to go with Wendy's...mmmmm spicy chicken burger.

But for the best regular burger I have to go with Harvey's.

I usually always pick a chickenburger over a hamburger.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Burger King is by far the worst food on the planet. The last time I had a burger from there it was yellowy green, and looked like it had been mauled by an animal .

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"At least McDonalds doesn't make like their fare is anything more than what it is."

Excactly...I can appreciate McPuke for what it is...a paradoy of itself...people sue them for stupid things...people make movies about them...they are the lowest form of pop culture...they take the booby prize...they are like the huge joke...and we are the punch-line. They've earned their right to kill us (or at least make us sick...give us cancer...whatever).

But Burger King...they haven't earned their right to do any of this....they just fly under the radar...they just stick themselves out there with nothing but crap, knowing simply by the chance of probability, they will make a buck....and don't have to give anything in return...not decent food...no cool toys...no cool commercials...nothing to take away from the agony of their product.

And the proverbial icing on the cake, is that everything there is EXPENSIVE!!! I mean, if they charged like 59 cents or something for that crap, I could understand them having a place in the wacky world of fast food...people don't mind paying less for crap...but they don't...at least mcPuke has a daily sandwich special for under a buck.

So I have no idea why people go there...bad food, bad service, bad environment and high prices. Come to think of it, there weren't but a few people in there...I don't wanna seem like an elitist asswipe (even though I am)...but everybody in there was a loser....some 17 year-old girl, with her 8 month old baby in a stroller...and a group of 4 American kids (can't miss that Michigan accent), who obviously found themselves in the wilds of Non-America, and panicked and went to the first food name they recognized (god forbid they actually might want to pop into one of the many noodle joints that line Yonge St...which i should have done).

Oh well....I'll just chalk it up to another urban experiment gone awry.

KGB

1 - 20 of 312 Posts