Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I watched it. Here's the summary:

- There is a 93m pier below the ground to support the massive weight on top. It's like a 93m pole going vertically down. There is a 4m concrete mesh on top.
- They use the world's most accurate GPS system that can measure to milimeters. It is used everytime they pour concrete so it is perfectly straight.
- Only two dual lifts reach to the top. 70km/h speed.
- Starting price of 2 million dollars for apartments.
- First 30 storey are hotel
- It is 130 storey high
- 1 billion dollar project.
- The building sways 1.6m but can withstand once in a hundred year winds.
- New core rise every 4-5 days.
- Japanese company is proposing a tower called Sky Tower which will be 1km tall. Just 50km from Burj Dubai. Skytower is actually 2 twin 1km towers.
- As long as it is financially feasible, towers can go kilometers more because we have the technology.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
If that's the case maybe we should be building a 5km high solar power station. :)
As long as every floor of chimney can be sellable as accomidation and tourist attraction, it is worthwhile. :D

"Oh look, i live in the world's tallest chimney!"

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Kilometres huh? Sometimes it takes ages and enough trouble to travel a couple of kilometres on the ground! Imagine if you had to do that first before you could even get outside? I assume developers of buildings like that would incorporate everything so that a resident would never ever need to go outside prehaps?

I hope though in 10 or 20 years time Dubai doesnt look back and regret building these things. In the years ahead tastes may change, it may become unfashionable to have tall buildings or something I don't know. Either way they will definitely become a world icon and im sure impress everyone that sees them.

If that's the case maybe we should be building a 5km high solar power station. :)
Who knows! In the future people might actually be looking down on Mt Everest? That mountain stands almost 9km tall i believe.

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
I thought the burj has 160 stories.
I also really doubt starting prices were $2m for an apartment, they're expensive but not THAT expensive

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
Tyson said:
Kilometres huh? Sometimes it takes ages and enough trouble to travel a couple of kilometres on the ground! Imagine if you had to do that first before you could even get outside? I assume developers of buildings like that would incorporate everything so that a resident would never ever need to go outside prehaps?

I hope though in 10 or 20 years time Dubai doesnt look back and regret building these things. In the years ahead tastes may change, it may become unfashionable to have tall buildings or something I don't know. Either way they will definitely become a world icon and im sure impress everyone that sees them.

Who knows! In the future people might actually be looking down on Mt Everest? That mountain stands almost 9km tall i believe.
It's just a vision. The only real supertowers are burj dubai and maybe al burj if the boom sustains itsself for that long.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Yes I know its just a vision but this is Dubai we're talking about! :laugh:

·
Be the Love Generation
642 Posts
With all the talk about deaths on Everest recently, it got me wondering. At some point building taller and taller twoers would lead to a situation where the air would be too thin in the upper floors. I wonder at what point that becomes a genuine concern?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I watched the show. It looked awsome in comparison to the Sydney skyline. Only on question, the guy said it will be the tallest residential tower as well as the tallest tower, is this true?

·
can the can
1,144 Posts
Tyson said:

Who knows! In the future people might actually be looking down

Yeah, I agree. A lot of this development in Dubai is totally speculatory. It's trying to compete with other emerging capitals like Shanghai and Bangkok. Dubai could be a funny old place if oil suddenly stops being our major fuel source. Plus, imagine forgetting your keys after travelling in a one kilometre lift?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Lord_Bertrum said:
With all the talk about deaths on Everest recently, it got me wondering. At some point building taller and taller twoers would lead to a situation where the air would be too thin in the upper floors. I wonder at what point that becomes a genuine concern?
From what I was led to believe, you can fly in an aircraft up to approximately 10,000 feet before you either need to pressurise the aircraft or have a dedicated supply of oxygen or both. That equates to slightly more than 3000 metres. Correspondingly you would need to have a pressurised tower above that height. No skywalk or open air observation deck up there!

Also at higher altitudes it becomes bitterly cold (just like Everest). Can you imagine a towering resi building where the top few residents are perputally living in winter? If the thing was tall enough it should be possible that it could be summer and 40 degrees C while the roof of the building is coated in ice and snow.

I would not even like to begin to try and think how such a tower would be built. Be like trying to work a construction site in the Antarctic.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
chrisboy47 said:
What do you mean by a twin 1000 metre tall towers being built 50 kilometres away from it? Whats it called and exactly where?
MILIUX said:
It is called SkyTower.
There is no Sky tower being built in Dubai, that's in tokyo, Beyond Tomorrow said the twin towers will be 50 KILOMETRES Away from the Burj Dubai, If there is a Sky tower/s being built in Dubai please send me links etc.. about it.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
how good would it be if you had a tower the same height as everest, if u go outside u get drunk off air, how good would that be

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
People of Dubai uses 50% more water than Melbourne and ranked 2nd in world for water usage. 100% of water is from desalinisation plant. They can't figure out how to save water since a lot of wealthy people want high maintanance plants.

That's a quote from U.A.E University's professor of water conservation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
so over dubai, so I took a shower when this segment of the show came on...

everyone in this forum knows about dubai and burj dubai, there is dubai spam all over this joint.

·
Registered
77,310 Posts
well keep skyscrapers and news allocated for aussie projects. anything os goes here.
cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts