SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2241 - 2260 of 2294 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
It was an excellent service until they decided to extend the route to the Baltic and on to Newcastle. Now the timetable is useless and I frequently see two buses running in tandem. On one occasion I even saw three in convoy.

I wonder why they filmed the bus through a mirror.
Guess they have realised this as there's a new timetable from Saturday - looks like extra time is being given between stops.

·
Registered
25,186 Posts
North East's £800m bus upgrades already in major doubt as government accused of being 'disingenuous'

Chronicle Live website article from 08/11/21

EXTRACT

North East's £800m bus upgrades already in major doubt as government accused of being 'disingenuous'

A council leader has warned that the chances of a huge series of improvements going ahead have become "infinitesimally small" after last week's Budget

The chances of the North East delivering £800m worth of upgrades to the region’s bus network have been rated “infinitesimally small”, just two weeks after the ambitious plan was launched.

But after just £1.2bn was committed in last week’s Budget to transform regional bus services, local politicians fear their proposals may have already hit a brick wall.

It comes after further anger that the North East was excluded from billions of pounds worth of transport funding deals for regions with metro mayors last week too.

Full article on North East's £800m bus upgrades already in major doubt

KEN

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,280 Posts
I had the joy of traveling on one of Arriva's bone shaking sharabangs last week into town. When I started with United in 1985 the fare from here was 45p, for that you could get a transfare and travel across the county using multiple operators and the metro. Using the B of E inflation calculator that fare would now be tripled to £1.35.

A single to town is now £2.70, in real terms it has doubled in price for a ticket with far less use.

It's not like the drivers see much of this money, wages and conditions have been hammered, days driving at the maximum legal limit are the norm.

5 1/2 hours, 30 mins off then another 4 1/2 hours, exhausting. No wonder they can't recruit and retain drivers.

I have been heartened by the industrial action and the companies caving in across the country.

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,280 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but, who actually owns it at the moment? Is it one of the bus companies and, if so, is it likely to be taken over by another, or is it likely to become a quite large available site?
It was owned by Arriva who are in turn owned by Deutsche Bahn, which is owned by the German govt. I don't know who has bought it but I would bet my bottom dollar it won't be used as a bus depot again, more likely housing.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It was owned by Arriva who are in turn owned by Deutsche Bahn, which is owned by the German govt. I don't know who has bought it but I would bet my bottom dollar it won't be used as a bus depot again, more likely housing.
Slight complication in that the bus depot is also a grade 2 listed building.

Cheers
GBDT

·
King of Bernicia
1,469 Posts

Chronicle Live website article from 08/11/21

EXTRACT

A council leader has warned that the chances of a huge series of improvements going ahead have become "infinitesimally small" after last week's Budget

The chances of the North East delivering £800m worth of upgrades to the region’s bus network have been rated “infinitesimally small”, just two weeks after the ambitious plan was launched.

But after just £1.2bn was committed in last week’s Budget to transform regional bus services, local politicians fear their proposals may have already hit a brick wall.

It comes after further anger that the North East was excluded from billions of pounds worth of transport funding deals for regions with metro mayors last week too.

Full article on North East's £800m bus upgrades already in major doubt

KEN

Oh ffs.

The prospect of getting the four south of Tyne authorities back on board has been complicated in recent months by Durham's pursuit of a solo county devolution deal – which council leader Amanda Hopgood confirmed is now the preferred option.
I smell Tory shenanigans. Same stuff they're pulling in North Yorkshire to stop Yorkshire devolution.

·
1,143 Posts
Hexham to Newcastle express bus route set for major upgrade with £1million investment from Go North East
View attachment 840206

From tomorrow (12th December), Go North East is making a major upgrade to its express X84 and X85 routes which serve Hexham, Corbridge, Wylam, Heddon-on-the-Wall and Newcastle.

The further £1million investment is the latest part of an overall £8.5million upgrade in brand new, North British built, low-emission environmentally friendly double-deck buses introduced to the routes as part of the company’s premium interurban X-lines brand, providing a next-level service for its customers on longer distance routes across the North East.

Travellers can also sit back and relax as these state-of-the-art buses come with all the latest mod-cons, including free Wi-Fi, USB and wireless charging, seat back phone holders, next-stop audio-visual announcements, including live rail connection times, and tables on the upper-deck.

Go North East’s new X84 and X85 buses also feature bike racks and a dedicated space for up to two wheelchair users, a first for the continued improvements to the accessibility of buses in the North East.

READ MORE: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/hexha...r-upgrade-ps1million-investment-go-north-east

View attachment 840207

View attachment 840209

View attachment 840212

View attachment 840214
Barely a year later this £1M investment to improve Hexham-Newcastle services is being undone as the high-spec buses are being removed and used elsewhere.

X84/X85 to become 684 with older single deckers:

·
1,143 Posts
Article from Go North East website.

Go North East gives route between Middlesbrough and Newcastle a major upgrade with luxury coaches
Today Mon 15th Feb 2021
View attachment 1089732

From today, Go North East has introduced luxury coaches on its premium X10 express route that runs between Middlesbrough and Newcastle via the A19, serving Stockton, Norton, Billingham, Peterlee, Dalton Park, Heworth and Gateshead.

The executive coaches come with free Wi-Fi, contactless payment, USB charging, luxury reclining seats, next stop announcements, an onboard toilet and are fully accessible with a step free entrance with wheelchair and accessible seating area, plus space for bikes.

The X10 service now joins X-lines, Go North East’s regional network of premium interurban express services which connect the North East’s towns and cities.

The route is cheaper and more luxurious than the train, with a return ticket costing just £8 between Middlesbrough and Newcastle, and unlimited travel available for £8.50 a day or £35 a week.

The journey time from Middlesbrough to Newcastle is also comparable with the train when you consider the city centre bus stops on offer, compared to the walking time from rail stations to town and city centres.

READ MORE: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/go-no...gh-and-newcastle-major-upgrade-luxury-coaches

View attachment 1089756

View attachment 1089762
Less than a year later this “major upgrade to luxury/executive coaches” is being undone as the coaches (which are wheelchair accessible by the way) are being withdrawn due to their poor reliability.
Double deckers will be put back on the route, Middlesbrough-Newcastle.

Go North East’s official line is that due to feedback about accessibility the coaches will be replaced with double deckers.

Said replacement double deckers will be the ones taken from the Hexham-Newcastle customers mentioned in my post above.

·
1,143 Posts
2241 - 2260 of 2294 Posts