Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
The ones Arriva and Stagecoach put in the 10 smell of damp because they turn off the air conditioning to save money, so I'm not sure we've seen much progress
Nationalisation is the current vogue for left wing virtue signalling but I clearly remember the buses which were very poor. Ripped and missing seats, graffiti on seats and the surrounds and on ceilings, smoking on both floors, poor customer service from drivers, anti social behaviour and litter strewn.

It was terrible.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Nationalisation is the current vogue for left wing virtue signalling but I clearly remember the buses which were very poor. Ripped and missing seats, graffiti on seats and the surrounds and on ceilings, smoking on both floors, poor customer service from drivers, anti social behaviour and litter strewn.

It was terrible.
like that as anything to do with Nationalisation

Reactions: Bogeyana

·
Banned
13,419 Posts

It was terrible.
What are you on about, 'virtue signalling' nonesense like some alt-right tit. Nationalising public transport has ALWAYS been a major thing for the left, and so it should be. Just because things were bad in the past doesn't mean they have to be in the future, bus/train journeys are vital to lots of people and the profit driven price hike we have seen (2.20 from park road to town ffs) over the past years is disgusting.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
What are you on about, 'virtue signalling' nonesense like some alt-right tit. Nationalising public transport had ALWAYS been a major thing for the left, and so it should be. Just because things were bad in the past doesn't mean they have to be in the future, bus/train journeys are vital to lots of people and the profit driven price hike we have seen (2.20 from park road to town ffs) over the past years is disgusting.
Well I believe in a mixture of private and public services, nationalisation is the vogue for middle class alt left tits who never use public transport.

I remember the buses they were shit and renationalisatiin isn't the answer. They'll never have enough money to run it it's better in private hands with regulation.

As for the alt right there's a few ruffled feathers on the far left that labels anyone, even centrists as alt right.

·
Banned
13,419 Posts
Well I believe in a mixture of private and public services, nationalisation is the vogue for middle class alt left tits who never use public transport.

I remember the buses they were shit and renationalisatiin isn't the answer. They'll never have enough money to run it it's better in private hands with regulation.

As for the alt right there's a few ruffled feathers on the far left that labels anyone, even centrists as alt right.
I don't think you're alt-right but using now meaningless slogans like 'Virtue Signalling' groups you with that logic. The usage was absurd anyway.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
No they were terrible. I'm no particular fan of market economics but the buses are better now than they've ever been it's yourself who makes pithy meaningless comments.
compere like for like and date to date,
its always a race to the bottom with you fellas

have you been to Europe, its a pubic service
not a shareholder money making service

Reactions: logancox

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I don't think you're alt-right but using now meaningless slogans like 'Virtue Signalling' groups you with that logic. The usage was absurd anyway.
I'm not alt right that's fascism and has little to do with public private ownership of local buses. Also I apologise if I've offended anyone it's the heat here in Palermo I'm off out to a gay bar lol.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Likewise 'Virtue signalling' has nothing to do with the public/private ownership of local buses.
I'm a centrist and I remember the buses under public ownership it's no magic bullet they were terrible. Public versus private is an old useless debate, I get tgat nobody is suggesting we go back to the state of affairs in the 70s but likewise there's no obvious solution to today's problems.

I don't wish to discuss the alt right

·
Registered
6,136 Posts

I use the buses several times most weeks, so I'm as entitled to a view on this as anyone else.

The buses are no doubt better today than they were in the nationalised era, but that is because modern bus design is far better, and we're no longer rattling round in Leyland Atlanteans or Bristol REs which are in danger of shaking themselves to death. In Belfast, the buses remain nationalised, but are better vehicles than any urban buses I've ever travelled on in England. Some buses I've travelled on over here are like skips, because the private companies you praise don't bother cleaning them.

So privatisation is no guarantee of a better service, though it does usually guadantee a more expensive one. And these companies aren't wonderful examples of buccaneering free market endeavour. They're doing very nicely, thanks to endless state subsidy.

Btw you aren't doing yourself justice with your constant use of Steve Bannonesque alt-right rubbish speak. I know from the substance of your post that you're a woolly moderate leftist like most of us on here. There's no need to talk like some Trumpist wannabe

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Everything is relative.... the system of yesteryear offered far more buses and bus routes and usually greater regularity. Try getting buses in the evening nowadays. Some services are a joke. Forget joined up connected routes and across town routes too.... the victorians got around quicker on the horse xrawn buses. So you're right there is no comparison between now and pre deregulated services.... but not for the reasons you say. Single-decker buses were very much the exception to the rule pre 90s.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm a centrist and I remember the buses under public ownership it's no magic bullet they were terrible. Public versus private is an old useless debate, I get tgat nobody is suggesting we go back to the state of affairs in the 70s but likewise there's no obvious solution to today's problems.

I don't wish to discuss the alt right
Assumptions will be made due to the language you use. As for private provision of public service you may care to explain what efficiencies are gained by selling off UK bus services to publicly owned organisations based in say Germany. Bus services in the LCR are supplied by the German State who do not pay dividends to shareholders but export profits made here back to Germany subsidising their local passengers.

The realisatation of Thatchers public v private dream - er not quite but she did get the cash for selling off the family silver.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts