SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Letting off the happiness
5,875 Posts
I love the train to London other than the fact it takes about 4 and a half hours back on a Sunday night, stopping in Milton Keynes for 25 minutes and crawling through the secondary tracks of Brum. Still only £37 return with a railcard I think thats pretty good. If I could be bothered to book in advance it could possibly be even less.

Anyway I have 3 ideas for improving transport within Gtr Manchester:

1. Run the buses like they do in London, sure theyre privitised still, but regulated. The 192 bus wars, and the free for all on the 42 show how stupid the situation is. Even the lonely planet guide points out how bewildering it is for us never mind tourists. Regulation of some sort is needed. It would also stop you having to buy passes for multiple companies or getting a £47 bus card. I think the equivilent card in London costs about half as much and the buses are 100000x better and run all night.

2. Better organisation of Manchester's suburban railways. Finishing the Castlefield Curve and the little bit between Ardwick and Sportcity being relaid so we can have a circle line around the centre with trains running in from the sticks, around the circle and out to somewhere else, like they have in Deutchland. Would work a treat.

3. Electrify the Deansgate to Preston stretch of the West Coast mainline so that Manchester has through trains to Glasgow rather than being on a spur. I dont know if we'd need to add another platform to Piccadilly (perhaps on the site of Mayfair Station) but if it was possible than having 1 service an hour running onto Glasgow rather than terminating would be good for Manchester I think:

London - Stoke - Manchester - Bolton - Preston - Carlisle - Glasgow

Oh and Ive thought of a 4. Sort out Mosley Street, get rid of the buses or regulate them better so they stop blocking the bloody trams. The amount of times Ive been stuck there waiting for 30 minutes because the buses are gridlocked or one is blocking the track. Infact building a couple more Shudehill type interchanges and banning buses from the very centre of Manchester would be perfect. Build one for the South and West of Manchester, Shudehill for the North and a small one near Piccadilly for the 192 , 216 and routes to Hyde would be perfect. Then only run those little free buses around the centre for connections. Ahhh it would be bliss.

5,875 Posts
Took my bus 30 mins to get from Picc Gardens to Deansgate Locks this morning thanks to a tiny hole being dug on Portland St, trams were stuck and buses everywhere. We reall need to sort out the bus situation in Manchester sometime soon before the whole city centre grounds to a halt under the weight of them.

5,875 Posts
I've actually spent half the day reading network rails route utilisation strategys (sad I know) the Lancashire one was a big dissapointment however, it dangled the carrot of direct Burnley-Manchester trains and other improvements without actually offering anything.

I was looking forward to the WCML one but this isnt out for another year or two sadly.

5,875 Posts
Seems a bit of a strange route choice, neither here nor there. It means TPX services to Scotland will have to miss out Bolton, Chorley and Salford and go a longer way. While TPX services wont be able to use it as it goes via Victoria, and misses out the biggest town along the way (Warrington).

Also weekend Pendolino diverts wont be able to use it as again it doesn't link up with Piccadilly.

Definitely a strange route choice on the cheap it seems. Piccadilly-Preston and Piccadilly-Liverpool would've been better choices surely?

Hopefully York-Manchester will get electrified soon too so we can see TPX running electric to Newcastle, however they'll have to go via Victoria, and St.Helen's Junction I guess now.

5,875 Posts
Yeah it looks like it'll be the 321's. Used to use these to commute from Milton Keynes to London, they were horrid then... Not designed for intercity travel at all (way too noisy and uncomfortable), they'll have to undergo a massive refit before they'll be suitable for Glasgow to Manchester runs, they're far worse trains than the 185s.

5,875 Posts
A quick question. Will any trains run Stalybridge - Guide Bridge - Piccadilly in future then or will the line Stalybridge - Guide Bridge become practically freight only?

It also looks like Calder Valley trains will run to the airport eventually too. At least the semi-fasts. Wonder if the Todmorden Curve will be affected by all these additional demands on capacity at Victoria. Will there be enough through platforms or will trains such as Blackpool - Victoria and Blackburn - Victoria local services be routed via Piccadilly instead.

Will there be any additional platforms at Victoria?

And currently how many TPE's run to Liverpool per hour is it one or two? Will Sheffield - Manchester - Liverpool trains (both TPE and East Midlands) run via Chat Moss or continue via Warrington?

Can see Chat Moss becoming very congested with all these additional express services. Wonder how it will affect places like Newton-le-willows, Eccles, Lea Green etc. It's going to get mega-congested between Huyton and Edge Hill in particular.

5,875 Posts
And yet the diverted transpennine services will remain operated by stinky diesels until Manchester - Leeds and Leeds - York get some strings erected. And the existing North Wales train. Tch. At least the Liverpool end of Chat Moss should see most local diesels eradicated I guess! :)
Are they electrifying Wigan - Huyton too?

5,875 Posts
Just raised on the other thread the possibility of Scotland - Manchester services being diverted to Victoria instead of Piccadilly... Anyone know if this is a possibility? Would certainly free up capacity on the Viaduct through Oxford Road. If they still wanted access to Piccadilly they could run it via the Ancoats line and into the low platform numbers, although this would require significant infrastructure improvements it would allow more capacity on Piccadilly - Deansgate for sure.

5,875 Posts
A bit of a shame that Victoria will remain a bit of an outpost then except for a few TPE services.

It's going to be a bit crap deciding where to get the train to Liverpool from too when the services are split between the two of them. Kind of the same now with Bolton, sometimes if you miss your train at Piccadilly and the wait for the next one is ages (say on a Sunday), it's frustrating knowing that soon after a slow service might be leaving from the other terminal.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts