Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
I need your kind advice re buying a flat in Istanbul. I'm a Canadian citizen who adores Turkey and specifically Istanbul. I'm searching for the ideal 2 or 3 bedroom flat in Istanbul (new construction) and wondering if someone could shed some light on the pros/cons of European vs. Asian side? I've heard some very conflicting opinions, Turks included...
My needs:
* Proximity to City Center (Nisantasi, Taksim, Sisli, etc.) I will not be going there daily but when on holidays would go a lot to these areas.
* Proximity to either sea or Bosphor (I know it will cost me much more...) but in Asian side specially Kartal these become affordable.
* Price range 250-300,000 USD, with capital appreciation over 5 years.
* I don't like mass housing projects, most of the new affordable ones in Esenyurt and others in Western districts look awful with traffic may take 1.5 hrs to reach city center
* Proximity to green areas, I hate highway junctions and more dense urban area
*Ability to take a stroll bike, etc.
* Proxmity to public transport especially metro is a PLUS.

I am weighing Kartal, Sisli (very expensive) and maybe southern coast near Novotel near airport...

I would really appreciate Turks' opinions.:cheers:

Thanks

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Have you thought about Kadiköy? It has it's own center, Bagdat Caddesi, and will soon be connected to Marmaray, so you can reach Nisantasi, Taksim, Sisli, etc with just 1 change. It's close to the ocean, close to greenery, it's modern (mentality also), has bike roads etc.

Edit: They didn't have apartments smaller than 120 m2, so it will probably cost more than 300k USD

I really hate the Four Winds Residence project (mostly because of political reasons) but it would probably meet your needs, and it has a great view.

Project thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=557010&page=26
More info: https://www.projepedia.com/sirket/tasyapi/projeler/four-winds-residence,722.html

·
30,720 Posts
You can find a new apartment in centre of Kadıköy, also there is nice neighborhoods such as Feneryolu, Fenerbahçe, Göztepe, Caddebostan, Erenköy, Suadiye.

+Acıbadem can be an option too with Marmaray connection.

You can easily use bike in Fenerbahçe and Caddebostan.

I'd prefer a new apartment in centre of Kadıköy.

http://harita.yandex.com.tr/?ll=29....9148~spn:90.18822322142694,40.059357960515065

http://harita.yandex.com.tr/?ll=29....7267~spn:90.50756786507907,40.059357960515065

http://harita.yandex.com.tr/?ll=29....104727~spn:90.0971848564675,40.05935787959858

http://harita.yandex.com.tr/?ll=29....196682~spn:90.0000456394628,40.05935787959857

·
21,422 Posts
As you won't be having to commute to work everyday you should look into the Asian side imho. Plus the Asian shore line on the Marmara sea is more appropriate for recreational activities like cycling.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
If I relocate to Istanbul, Kadıköy would be my first consideration. But I have concerns about it's existing building stock. Most of them are old and are built before 99' earthquake. Also Kadıköy is an earthquake prone zone, as far as I know northern districts of the city are safer. By looking from pictures, there's lovely looking places at northern districts like Beykoz(Asian) or Sarıyer(Europe) but could be a bit distant from the centers and I have no idea about mass transport. Those places would be my second consideration since no need to think about daily commute. But I don't live in İstanbul, just sharing my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
As others said before that the most suitable district is Kadıköy for you. If you find the prices in Kadıköy too expensive, seaside towns in Maltepe and Kartal may be another options for you. Marmaray suburban rail which will soon open is along the Asian shore line from Üsküdar to Gebze. Besides, residents of seasides towns in Anatolian shore line is generally open-minded and liberal compared with other districts in İstanbul.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
If not Kadiköy or surrounding areas I would prefer Etiler (+ Nispetiye, Ulus, Levazim etc.), Nisantasi, Gökturk, Bakirköy (Florya, Ataköy etc.) but Bakirköy is a bit too close to the airport. All these areas are of course pretty expensive, but it might be possible to find a smaller apartment for a reasonable price.

I could never imagine myself living in Kartal. The area got no history (at least not as much as other areas), no good parks, constructions everywhere and it's too messy.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear All
Thanks for your tips and insight. I will look into Kadikoy some more (I'm facing some opposition to Asian side, from my family with whom I will share the flat).

I have come accross a property called Vera Residence (www.veraresidence.com) located in Kağıthane - İstanbul. I heard this area housed mainly factories in the 20th century but is now being transformed into a posh neighborhood. The relative proximity to Nisantasi, Taksim, Sisli, Istinye, Bosphor, is unbeatable?

May I please have your opinion on this property (Vera Residence) and neighborhood, Kağıthane? The price for 2+1 is surprisingly affordable, so I'm wondering if there are some unknown inconveniences.

In the meantime I will check Kadikoy.

:) Thanks

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
If you wanna do an investment then it might be a good idea, but if you wanna live there within the next 10-15 years then I wouldn't recommend it. The urban transformation of the area have just started, so you will have constructions everywhere for years and there is no public transport except bus to that location, but a metro is planned: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1579025

Btw do you have children?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Erhan
No, I don't plan to live there...but would use it about 4-5 trips a year, each about 5 days. My parents would use it for 4 months/year.
No children...and I'm bachelor. Even for tourism, parking the car in the basement and driving to nearby attractions at city center and bosphor..sounds lovely.
What do you think?

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Ok, for some reason I imagined you with 2 children :) Then it might be a better choice, but it's still a risk. The transform you are taking about is planned for along the stream Cendere, we have a thread for it if you wanna take a look: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1486836.

When/if the transform is completed then you may have an area meeting your criterias but as it is right now you wont have public transport, no parks, no bike tracks and it's a pretty dense and a bit shabby area.

·
Registered
12,026 Posts
istanbul is a country, every neighbourhood has its own context, for a foreigner like you, its always better to live in a neighbour where peopled voted for anti-erdogan, most of the neighbourhood you mentioned, like kagıthane, (even the house project is nice) its poor neighourhood where people mostly voted for erdogan.

check kadıkoy,beşiktaş,sarıyer, , these areas is better for a foreigner resident.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
I don't wanna bring in politics but I think what Kadikoylu is true, even I wouldn't wanna live there because I wouldn't get along with the people there and I'm Turkish.

But the main reason why I wouldn't wanna live there is because the cultural supply is pretty much nonexistent, and it's the reason why I favour Kadiköy, because it's rich culture...you'll find everything from parks, running tracks and bicycle tracks to operas, pubs, stadiums, cafes, street art etc.

My mom is from Sisli so I always imagined myself to live there if I bought a house in Istanbul but I had never thought about it before...no when I have I would probably choose Kadiköy :D

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Also no need to limit yourself to 2 bedrooms option. 3 bedroom flats are common too, and price differences can be so little or even lower in come occasions, though location is the biggest determinant of the value of a property when you go more central places.

Yes as mentioned, beware of 'investment' type of projects. Housing market is inflating crazily in the city, lots of plots to be built for investment options. There's some not so pleasant neighborhoods remained at the center of the city sitting on valuable zones. These projects mostly isolated from surroundings and probably doesn't offer a good neighborhood life or whatever you call it. And the whole reclaiming process will be there for a long time(or until housing bubble explodes, dunno).

·
30,720 Posts
And checking this links can be helpful, also you can see Kağıthane with Yandex: http://harita.yandex.com.tr/?ll=28....145,40.05935796051505~dir:242.8501461730769,0

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello friends..
Since our discussion, I searched thoroughly in Kadikoy but could not find an affordable 2-bedroom there for anything less than 450,000 USD.

I have come accross a nice property located at the intersection of Sisli/Kagithane called Mari Rezidans (www.marirezidans.com).

Three bedroom selling for 341,000 USD there...The building has no pool, but offers a gym and some other facilities...

Location is unbelievable and very close to all major attractions in the centre of Istanbul.

The only drawback...it is in a shacks area (slum) but looking at Yandex, it is actually not bad, but there is nothing within 300-m walking distance...

The premise is that this artery of the city (Kagithane side) will be transformed in the years to come to match the glamor of Sisli areas...For example, Trump Tower is 2-km walk away...

Somehow I ended up back at Kagithane, but the promoters are saying it is practically located in Sisli...

As always, your thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
210 Posts
İf you plan to stay in your property Kağıhane is absolutely not a good location. Your relatives are guiding you correctly for investing in the european side but better places will be Beşiktaş, Şişli,Nişantaşı. I would not consider to buy a residence type serviced apartments as the fixed utility costs are too much. I would consider to buy a new flat in a new, single apartment with a reasonable utility cost or buy an old apartment with very low utility costs. I would definetely buy a property from the center not at any suburb like Esenyurt etc. Kadıkoy is also very nice to live as well, but if you expect price appreciaton European side is better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts