SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I was hoping I could poll some of you who are familiar with the channelside condos to help me make a big decision.

my fiance and I are looking to buy and we feel that channelside might be the best place for us to be. right now we're considering both The Place and GCK amongst others. we've been renting here at the place for the past 1.5 years and are very happy here. however, we haven't been able to get a feel for the HOA yet and still need to do some homework regarding %owned/rented/etc. It seems that the HOA fees are cheaper here at the place but still need to know how much of a nest egg the association has compared to GCK. anyways, I thought I would post some questions and hope that some of you could help me with my research.

1) HOA differences: anyone that has any insight into one or both properties (place vs GCK) in terms of the overall stability of the respective associations would be very helpful. The big differences between the HOA fees seems to be partially balanced with the inclusion of AC/gas/cable/phone at GCK - is this a good thing?

2) Pluses and minuses: we've gotten a decent feel for the good and bad here at the place but are interested in learning more if anyone has anything to share. In terms of GCK I know little to nothing about - other then it sounds like there may be an issue with parking, there is a new bar + restaurant and Ken Stoltenberg is a good guy.

3) Live in owners: anyone have numbers on both/either buildings?

4) Security/Amenities: we've been very happy with the ammenities here at the place - gym is nice and usually clean, pool is beautiful and the social room is spacious and has great views. We've also always felt very safe here and the concierge is quick to respond to requests. how about GCK?

5) Future developments: sound like GCK will eventually (knock on wood) get a grocer and seems to be leading the way in terms of drawing businesses underneath them. However, I think I read on here there are plans for a park/(free)dog park across the street from the place. Any new stuff you all can share would be great.

6) Construction: things seem pretty solid here at the place, we don't hear too much of our neighbors noise and nothing has fallen apart yet. we did have an issue about the unit below us claiming that we were leaking on their ceiling. I think we've fixed that problem but haven't asked too many others about problems they've had.

Ok. Thanks so much for reading this all, I'll be hitting refresh constantly for the next few days/weeks in anticipation of potential responses.

Sincerely,

MV

·
Tampa - St Pete
156 Posts
Be prepared to pay 100% cash. The Place and Grand Central have very low owner occupancy so you will have a hard time finding a lender for financing. My wife and I were interested in purchasing a condo downtown the last few months but ran into that issue. We were going to put 20-30% down and have excellent credit, but still no lenders would take the risk. We ended up purchasing a single family home in old Seminole heights, which we just moved into last week.

·
Registered
685 Posts
youngkg
Welcome to Seminole Heights. My fiance and I currently live in a bungalow in the neighborhood as well. I own a penthouse condominium in The Meridian building. It is currently rented but I would consider selling. Let me know if you are ever interested in the area again.

·
Tampa - St Pete
156 Posts
Thanks TPAMAN. We live in the Old Seminole Heights area a little north of Seminole Elementary. So far we are enjoying it as our neighbors seem very friendly. We have walked to a few restaurants but haven't got to do as much as we have wanted around the neighborhood as it's taking longer than anticipated to move in. Hopefully things calm down over the next few weeks. We own 2 homes so I doubt we will be buying anymore homes in the near future but thanks for the offer.

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts