SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: As we lose yet another Phila department store in CC and becomes a homogenized "Macy's" (boy I'm starting to hate NY :mad: ), Strawbridge's will ceases to exist by next year, due to the fact that Federated Department Stores bought May Department Stores, and has affected cities like Chicago (Marshall Fields), Boston (Filene's), & Pittsburgh (Kaufmann's). I just want to know how everybody feels about this merger and how it will affect Phila and it's malls. Personally, the business might do good, as we already have about 4 Macy's (2 in PA, 2 in NJ, and 1 in DE), and I have no problem with the store, but taking away Strawbridge's and converting them into a Macy's has got to be heartbreaking for this city. As much as we lose out on business and companies leaving this city just to go to the South, and the loss of another venerable department store (Wanamakers in the early '90's), we seem kind of lost to lose another local institution. Tell me about it :cry:

·
Registered
178 Posts
wanderer34 said:
:cry: As we lose yet another Phila department store in CC and becomes a homogenized "Macy's" (boy I'm starting to hate NY :mad: ), Strawbridge's will ceases to exist by next year, due to the fact that Federated Department Stores bought May Department Stores, and has affected cities like Chicago (Marshall Fields), Boston (Filene's), & Pittsburgh (Kaufmann's). I just want to know how everybody feels about this merger and how it will affect Phila and it's malls. Personally, the business might do good, as we already have about 4 Macy's (2 in PA, 2 in NJ, and 1 in DE), and I have no problem with the store, but taking away Strawbridge's and converting them into a Macy's has got to be heartbreaking for this city. As much as we lose out on business and companies leaving this city just to go to the South, and the loss of another venerable department store (Wanamakers in the early '90's), we seem kind of lost to lose another local institution. Tell me about it :cry:

I don't know much about running a large business, but I've always wondered why they don't think it better to keep the local name. Cannot they run the business the same regardless of what the big sign says outside the store?

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's the same condition as when conquistadors claimed a new land for their county.

Federated claims this Strawbridge's for...themselves.

Yes, it is a loss of the city's identity. But people still call the store at 13th & Market Wanamaker's. It's going to be Strawbridge's for a long time in the minds and mouths of most Philadelphians and as long as no jobs are being cut, it's not that bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didn't the May Company buy Strawbridge's to begin with? Wasn't it originally Strawbridge's Clothier and then when the May Company (who owns Hecht's, Meier & Frank's and numerous others) kept the name Strawbridge's as the name of their Northeast locations. This really isn't that different. At least Macy's is a department store along the same lines as the May stores, just as Lord & Taylor - while it may be a chain - is of the same caliber as Wanamaker. Just thank god Strawbridge's or Lord & Taylor didn't go out of business leaving those georgous buildings to be bought by Wal-Mart!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts