SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
i beg to differ boss... there's so much construction creating a huge mess and jams from Lau Pat Sak market to Cross Street to Upper Cross Street... its deja vu all over again, and again... :eek:hno:
Agree they have started massive works (think they're building a viaduct outside Raffles Quay) and the whole peace of the Club Street area is affected - theres going to be another station nearby....but the area in the pic seems unaffected...hopefully

In Singapore it always seems like its digging, closing then digging open again :nuts:

·
小肥猪
2,014 Posts
Agree they have started massive works (think they're building a viaduct outside Raffles Quay) and the whole peace of the Club Street area is affected - theres going to be another station nearby....but the area in the pic seems unaffected...hopefully

In Singapore it always seems like its digging, closing then digging open again :nuts:
this i couldn't agree more... first, SCV dig and cover back, then Singtel dig and cover back, next Singapore Power dig and cover back, only to be repeated 10 more times by 10 different corporations...

RafflesCity, is there anywhere i can find more information/pics on this viaduct?

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Thats why for the new Marina Bay, they have come up with the CST, so there wont be anymore road opening each time a new applicant needs power/cables etc...everything will be done in the tunnel.

I remember seeing a pic of the viaduct once in the papers mentioning that it would be temporary to alleviate traffic congestion once tunnelling starts..I think someone might have posted it in the DTL thread. Not much but this might be interesting

http://www.lta.gov.sg/projects/doc/DTE_issue2_english.pdf

·
小肥猪
2,014 Posts
thanks boss! you da man! i know we can always count on you! :)

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
thanks...its always a pleasure to share :)

Some pics of the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. The area in front of it looks quite lovely recently with the lanterns and since the market has reopened. Some shots of the temple:

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Frankly I aint too sure...maybe someone can better advise?

I remember seeing lots of miniature buddha statues but recall that they aint authentic...

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
More scenes of Chinatown

Medical shops are common here, lending a certain scent to the air

A 5-foot way

Small window openings along the side of a shophouse

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Thanks lifestyle, btw that has got to be the most imposing and dramatic pic I've seen of the temple! :eek:

Initially I found this temple rather pretentious in trying to project an obvious Chinese identity in Chinatown, however I think its presence is overall beneficial in contributing to the urban fabric...after all the site was an empty field for a long time.

Do you have any pics of the open space at the other side, where the trishaws are parked?

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Looks like some enhancements are underway...hopefully it will tone down the gimmicky bit of that stretch.

Move will hit business, say 24 Chinatown stallholders

27 Mar 09

THE owners of 24 street stalls in Pagoda Street are unhappy about having to move to new locations nearby by the end of May.
They say the move will dampen their earnings, since their customers will not know their new addresses.

News of the move was broken to these stallholders late last year, with reminders about it coming in letters from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) 10 days ago.

Of the stalls, which sell souvenir and novelty items, 15 have until April 15 to move, and the rest, until May 31.

They will be re-sited in Smith and Trengganu streets within the Chinatown neighbourhood.

When contacted, STB director for attractions Jeannie Lim said the move was part of the plan to 'reconfigure' the Chinatown Street Market, which comprises Pagoda, Trengganu and Sago streets, to 'create a more seamless dining and shopping experience'.

Representatives from the Chinatown Business Association, which runs the market, have been talking to the stall owners about the move. Another briefing will be held for them today.

The meeting will give the affected stalls information on concessions such as rental waivers, which they will receive.

AMELIA TAN
Straits Times

·
Pubescent Singaporean
570 Posts
wow, sometimes i wonder if too much is being put into the design and concept of chinatown. our chinatown is the freakiest touristy simulation of a chinatown there is around the world! too much engineering?

meanwhile, our own china / far east square shophouse recreational district is suffering from a lack of coherent design, losing out to what xintiandi is to shanghai's financial district. inadequate engineering?

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
meanwhile, our own china / far east square shophouse recreational district is suffering from a lack of coherent design, losing out to what xintiandi is to shanghai's financial district. inadequate engineering?
I personally feel that Clarke Quay is more similar in vibe and buzz to Xintiandi.

China / Far East Square seems to cater almost totally to the working crowd in the area. Boat Quay / Clarke Quay thrive better as they cater to a more varied mix, plus their location is simply more accessible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a licensed tour guide, and the one place I never recommend tourists to go is Chinatown. If they want to go, and ask me about it, I always describe the place as indifferently and un-enthusiastically as I can :D I'll try to point out some places in the area still worth going (some good food at Smith St Hawker Centre, Chinatown Heritage Centre is ok, Maxwell). Most of the time I convince them to drop by URA to take a look instead :lol:

·
By Spirit
25,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
I think that also depends on which part of Chinatown it is. IMO the most touristy area is the place immediately surrounding the MRT entrance. Other than that, the other areas of Chinatown are pretty authentic. Also, places like Amoy Street / Telok Ayer Street are IMO definitely worth a visit for their history and monuments - Thian Hock Keng Temple, Nagore Durgha Shrine etc. Ann Siang Hill, Club Street and Keong Saik Road are also a good showcase of contemporary uses in beautiful pre-war architecture.

261 - 280 of 297 Posts