Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Associated Press
Last update: June 28, 2007 – 9:25 AM

WASHINGTON — Motorists in California, Minnesota, New Jersey and North Carolina have been stuck in some of the worst traffic in the United States, according to a study released Thursday.
More than 70 percent of urban Interstates in those states qualifying as congested, the study said.

Minnesota scored best, 1st place, on rural interstate condition with no poor miles reported. It ranked 4th on fatality rate and 5th on deficient bridges. The lowest rankings were 49th for urban interstate congestion and 35th for maintenance disbursements per mile of responsibility.

"Minnesota seems to be holding its own despite rising congestion and unit costs," the study said.

North Dakota and South Carolina roads rated highest in the study's overall rankings, while New Jersey roads ranked the lowest. The study ranked Montana highways as the deadliest in the nation.

The study, based on data from 1984 through 2005, found that while road conditions have improved in recent years, traffic congestion and highway fatalities have increased slightly.

The state-by-state evaluation of highways was conducted by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and financed by the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank based in Los Angeles.

With the federal highway fund running short of money for major highway projects, state governments are faced with having to pick up a greater share of the cost of building and maintaining highways.

Dr. David T. Hartgen, the highway study's lead author, says the results show that states need to prioritize, directing their transportation money to projects specifically designed to reduce congestion.

"Gridlock isn't going away," Hartgen said.

The study ranked highway systems in each state according to their cost-effectiveness, which was determined with several factors including traffic fatalities, congestion, pavement condition, bridge condition, highway maintenance and administrative costs. Evaluations were done on highways and all state-owned roads.

The five states with the most cost-effective roads, according to the study, are North Dakota, South Carolina, Kansas, New Mexico and Montana. The bottom five states are New Jersey, Alaska, New York, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

The study found that traffic fatalities rose by less than 1 percent between 2004 and 2005. Montana had the deadliest roads, with 2.3 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. Massachusetts roads were the safest, with 0.8 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles.

Congestion rose by a similar amount. According the study, almost 52 percent of the nation's urban interstate highways were regularly congested in 2005, the last year included in the evaluation.

In a statement, Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said congestion has nearly tripled in metropolitan areas during the past 25 years despite increases in spending over that period. Resolving the issue has been a priority for the department, which last year announced a plan to combat gridlock through long-terms investments in key corridors.

"It's so important to get our transportation policies headed in the right direction — away from the federal government and back to the states and localities where innovation in America has always originated," she said.

Congress will have to find new sources of revenue if it wants to tackle the problems, said Matt Jeanneret, spokesman for American Road and Transportation Builders Association. His group estimates that Americans spend 47 hours a year stuck in traffic.

"This illustrates the capacity crisis that is facing this country, which is only going to get worse if trends stay the same," Jeanneret said. "We are bursting at the seams with motor vehicles and we're not adding capacity to that."

Janet Kavinoky, who works on transportation issues at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, says the nation's traffic woes are at crisis levels. "There's more bad news coming," she said. "You hate holiday traffic? Pretty soon it's going to be business as usual."

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
CA and NJ are obvious, but MN and NC? Weird.

I've been all over the US, been in all kinds of traffic jams, I've never understood how people can say that traffic in one place is so much worse than any other place.

Bad traffic is bad traffic no matter where you are. You can creep along here in Minneapolis going about 3 mph down the freeway, just like Los Angeles. I wouldn't mind living in LA, but I hear people here in MN tell me all the time about how bad the traffic is there, as if there isn't a traffic problem here. The only difference as I see it is that LA is much larger in area and has a few more lanes than Minneapolis filled with cars that aren't moving anywhere. If you have a 4 mile commute to downtown Minneapolis during rush hour, and a similar commute in LA, they aren't going to be much different. I've been to LA many times, yeah the traffic is bad, but I've also seen freeways moving at 80 mph during the day. It's not like you can move to a major city at the bottom of one of these traffic lists and avoid traffic. The king of public transportation, NYC, has traffic coming out of it's ass every single day. ALL of the major cities I've been to have horseshit traffic issues and none of them are head and shoulders worse than any other IMO.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Im not surprised......
Have you ever been on I-40/85 in NC?:nuts:
I lived there for 11 years. I probably know NC more than you.
I just left last year.

There is not congestion on that highway.
I used to laugh about 40 and 85. specially after driving in CA, AZ, and TX

in NC the freeways are ridiculous narrow.
Even in Cary part of I 40 are still 2 lanes on each side.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I lived there for 11 years. I probably know NC more than you.
I just left last year.

There is not congestion on that highway.
I used to laugh about 40 and 85. specially after driving in CA, AZ, and TX

in NC the freeways are ridiculous narrow.
Even in Cary part of I 40 are still 2 lanes on each side.
:bash: You dont know shit.
You dont know NC more than I......
I am a born and raised North Carolinian and my fucking ancestors settled the damn state. So shut the hell up, fred:bash:

There IS conjestion on I-40/85......
I have been in traffic jams on there. In fact, they are re-paving I-40 around Burlington and Graham......

So with your dumbass posts, I leave with this: STFU!!;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'm VERY surprised that GA is not on this list.

Charlotte's interstate congestion can be pretty rough at times. I haven't experienced interstate traffic during peak hours in other NC cities, though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Try going northbound on the Jersey Turnpike on a lovely, late summer Sunday afternoon. Right before exit 6, going all the way up to who knows where...:puke:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most of Minnesota's interstates are in suburban Minneapolis, so it isn't too surprising.
Thats kinda unfair to say because Minneapolis AND St Paul combined are geographically smaller in size than just about any city out there. With that being said I work for CBRE on the UnitedHealth Group account (so I work at the UnitedHealth Group HQ in Minnetonka off of 169) and last Thursday it took me nearly 2 hours to get to the University of Minnesota for my class. For those that don't know...I was basically driving from the suburbs into the city and it took forever. I'd say on average I spend around 1 hour 30 minutes in traffic per day (or essentially one full day of work per week). Without the traffic or during off hours I live only about 15 minutes away from where I work. Its getting pretty bad lately. Obviously that is just one example, I'm sure for others it isn't nearly as bad but I'm sure there are a few commutes that rack up more time than me too in our area. 394 usually isn't that bad, which is a road a lot of commuters take but any of the side highways such as 169, 100, 62, 494, 694, etc...the traffic isn't exactly smooth just about anytime of the day.

I remember once last week I was driving towards downtown on 394 and the traffic the other side was a parking lot (not that my side was much better). In fact a motorcyclist was leaning up against the center median talking on his cell phone. His bike was on its stand with the helmet resting on one of the handles. There was no sign of cars in front of him moving anytime soon.

One has to wonder why our rural areas are 48 places ahead of the urban areas in the listings according to that study. Pawlenty, a pretty big republican, might possibly be supporting his fans in the rural communities while screwing the metro like usual. I'm not blaming the rankings on him, but he takes a very anti-metro view on a lot of issues...including transportation (as can be seen by him using his veto power on transportation bills that are aimed at helping the metro, claiming taxes are bad, yet he never proposes anything to fix the problem)...the thing he doesn't realize is its not something that can sort itself out...its only going to get worse as the metro increases population.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Yes, but Minneapolis/St Paul is about two thirds of Minnesota's population. ;) So whether or not it is smaller than similar sized centres, about two thirds of Minnesota is effectively located there. The good numbers for rural area's could be because of how few people live there.

I get your TV stations up here, I've seen the traffic reports. You guys need some suburban rail. ;) Maybe Sydney will share?

·
Registered
325 Posts
:bash: You dont know shit.
You dont know NC more than I......
I am a born and raised North Carolinian and my fucking ancestors settled the damn state. So shut the hell up, fred:bash:

There IS conjestion on I-40/85......
I have been in traffic jams on there. In fact, they are re-paving I-40 around Burlington and Graham......

So with your dumbass posts, I leave with this: STFU!!;)
I eat a hearty cardinal for breakfast, I play hockey in a wright flyer, and shit tobacco-covered lighthouses like my ancestors' ancestors, and I agree with this man.

Traffic gets pretty bad here when they're doing construction, which is all the time.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
^If you look at NC's specific report, it is only the Charlotte and Raleigh areas that are experiencing signficant congestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts