SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't find this building anywhere else. Admin feel free to remove if covered elsewhere.
Quite a modern upgrade for a dull looking building. Passed by it today and construction is well under way.

From this;

To this;

·
Registered
64 Posts
Really? Much less offensive that that ugly brown building that used to be next door? Not in my opinion.

Plus the new build will be a larger, more practical space with much improved environmental credentials.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I actually think that the older buildings were discreet and even somewhat elegant, that they actually made an effort to fit into their context, and that they have little details which nod to the city in which they're built. The new one is a disposable piece of trash with, yes, another series of hideous set backs.

I swear to god one day in about twenty years, the city will be full of these buildings which will have aged terribly, and people will ask how they ever got built. It's like the 60s and 70s all over again.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Agreed. Modern architecture has completely lost its way as a profession, this is just another in a long line of generic copy/paste buildings with zero attempt to take influence from the city's existing architecture. The old building wasn't much of a looker but at least it's unmistakably Dublin

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The old building was meh but the new one is an ugly mess. It nearly hurts to look at it. I hope it’s rejected just to tell architects that these kind of designs are not welcome

·
Registered
97 Posts
The old building addressed the street dreadfully. It created a sense of not being part of it, with its long, narrow windows at one remove from the pavement edge via a setback -- and there being only one entrance. While I think the old building looked somewhat more elegant from afar, I feel the new one will make the street feel like a street, and not somewhere to be rushed through on one's way somewhere else.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The old building addressed the street dreadfully. It created a sense of not being part of it, with its long, narrow windows at one remove from the pavement edge via a setback -- and there being only one entrance. While I think the old building looked somewhat more elegant from afar, I feel the new one will make the street feel like a street, and not somewhere to be rushed through on one's way somewhere else.
Maybe — but it's still a relatively impenetrable secure lobby that you're seeing, not any kind of accessible public realm or open business. I'm not sure either is particularly great.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
need to replace the parking with greenery and cycling and walking infrastructure

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
There is nothing to be gained by comparing the existing and proposed buildings, both are crap. It's not an either/or choice, there are any number of far better designs possible if we stop accepting slight variations on the same basic design.

If we had a competent local planning authority, they'd be telling the developer not to come near them with a generic design that could go anywhere, they'd be telling them to come up with something modern but with an awareness of its surroundings designed specifically for this location. This proposal could be mistaken for the former DIT Kevin St proposal, Grangegorman Central Quad building, part of Charlemont Square, Harcourt Sq Phase 2 or probably several other proposed/built buildings around the city.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts