SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caerphilly seems to have been a bit overlooked on this forum, but maybe that's because there's not much development going on. I thought I'd kick things off with this though:

Horseback protest against Caerphilly housing development

11 August 2019

A protest involving dozens of people on horseback is due to take place against plans to build 600 homes on greenfield land in Caerphilly.

Persimmon and PMG have submitted a second application to build a housing development at Gwern y Domen, between Lansbury Park and Rudry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49296350

·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
1,358 Posts
DOnt want to be that guy with images I imagine everyone takes... but *cough *cough *cough

Caerphilly Castle by The_Arch_Wright, on Flickr

I did not really see much of the town, bar the high street down from the train station to the castle.

I was only meant to be here for a few hours, but a sign saying Caerphilly Mountain got my interest... A long story short, a shattering 40 minute walk up what felt like an endless 270 odd metres resulted in me coming to the conclusion that about half way up, Vans were a definite poor choice of footwear, and I'm going to miss my return train... It was worth it though

Click for larger. Its only a phone camera though.

Caerphilly Mountain by The_Arch_Wright, on Flickr

Caerphilly Mountain by The_Arch_Wright, on Flickr

Didnt expect to see Cardiff from up here though.

I am just so thankful for the Caerphilly Mountain Shack Cafe... otherwise I think I'd still be up there now haha

·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pictures; we're having a rare whole week of blue sky in South Wales this week! To be honest, walking from the station to the castle you would have seen most of the town centre. It's not huge. I can't think of any new development going on either. Or maybe I just need to get out of the office more at lunch time!

I've never been up Caerphilly Mountain myself. Nice view of Cardiff. You also get a good view of Cardiff from Castell Coch which is a bit closer to the city.

·
1,358 Posts
1 Year later, I returned to experience Caerphilly Hill in true Welsh weather after coming back from quite the sketchy Hike at Pen y Fan. Wet windy and Foggy. To be honest we just wanted to stop at the Caerphilly Mountain Shack bar on the way back haha. I still cannot get over how cheap everything is in Wales... bar Cardiff

·
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was this yesterday? It was a hazy, drizzly, miserable day after a beautifully sunny weekend. Was Pen y Fan above the clouds at least?

·
1,358 Posts
Yeah, looks like we picked the right day haha. Pen y Fan was pretty much fog all the way up, so we done more a circular walk and followed the reservoirs round instead so did not make it to the top. Another day maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts