SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1083 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Just thought i'd start a thread about whats happening around town to keep everyone up-to-date.
Feel free to add stuff as we are all eager to know... I for one dont listen to the radio or watch t.v. much and im constantly checking out for new posts on Sky scraper city.com
Have a nice day :)
Bergin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bruce Highway six laning upgrade (sheey rd - Foster rd)

Well the extra lane has been added both ways between sheehy and foster rd's. Queensland Rail is currently installing new railway crossing lights at the Coombs st-Bruce Highway intersection. Traffic congestion can be felt during the day (especially peak hours) as their still resurfacing the bitumen.

They have also started work on the slip lane Roberts rd to Bruce highway (in front of Portsmith fuel). Some of the road signs that were there have been taken down (and hopefully put back up). Portsmith fuel will be constructing a car wash pretty soon (thank goodness for that, as i am sick of going to earlville to get my car washed). Right now all looks good to be completed soon :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pauline Hanson visit

Pauline Hanson has stopped over in Cairns for a brief visit trying to buy some votes for saturday's election. Ms Hanson visited the esplanade chemist(she bought cold and flu tablets) and also said hello to the locals out at Smithfield Shopping Centre. Even though i dont support her, i must say that she has changed considerably since her imprisonment. Good luck to her :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sugar World Traffic Lights finally turned on

I have also noticed that the Sugar World Traffic lights have finally been activated after thier installation over 10 years ago by the former Mulgrave Shire. Im pleased that Cairns City Council has taken this big step in ensuring the intersection is safe and the flow of traffic is smooth. Good on ya CCC :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New Sunbuses

I've noticed a couple of new bigger disabled friendly sunbuses have been added to the Cairns fleet. I hope they gradually replace the small match box type ones with these bigger/better/airconditioned comfort buses- you go sunbus :cool:

·
6,399 Posts
I hate those little old buses. Are the new Cairns buses new or secondhand? There's an old Brisbane bus sitting at the Sunbus depo in Townsville - must be planning to redo it for service in Townsville.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they're new buses (i hope they are cos they convincingly look new - must be the paint work (hahha). God it would be good to get rid of the little match box buses. I find that at times they get very full and overcrowded. The bigger buses are designated for the southern and north routes only (Gordonvale - Smithfield) the inner city suburbs get the little match boxes and so does Gordonvale and Smithfield Ocassionally. And with those ex Brissy buses geez we have some up here too. Did you know before sunbus came into existence the former Cairns Trans buses comprised mainly of those old ex brissy buses (white and yellow). But i reackonn the ex brissy ones are cool!! the aircon is better. And its just cool riding in the them (hahaha) :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Labor Matches Coalition promise on Cairns foreshore project

Dept labor leader (forgot her name, im not good with names) joined her fellow running labor candidate Jim Turnour on the Cairns esplanade to announce labour's promise of $10million dollars for the continuation fo the Cairns foreshore project. The Coalition recently pledged $10million towards the project. Either way whoever wins, the Cairns esplanade will come out the big winner :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sand Sculpting Australia here for last weeks

I havent been down there to have a look yet but i do ocassionally drive past and admire thier art work. Just thought i'd let people in Cairns know that Sand sculpting Australia will be leaving soon (last weeks). The sand sculpting is located at munro martin park :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Medical Centre next to Spotlight

A medical centre will be opening next to spot light (cnr Tills&Mulgrave road). They've finally found a tenant to keep spot light company :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KFC Renovations

KFC Earlville is currently undergoing renovations. I have noticed alot of fence work surrounding the site and the drive-in is finally operational after a couple of days closure. Thier giving the building a bit of a face lift and hopefully it shouldnt take much longer cos boy i feel like chicken tonight oops i mean i like it like that (hahaha) :) :cheers:

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
The KFC renovations are part of a nationwide expansion. This happened in TSV last year to early this year with KFC Cranbrook, and Garbutt getting revamped and a new KFC at Hermit Park, replacing the old one down the road as it was also too small.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats good KFC has finally decided to replace the paint work, it was starting to peel and crack (hehehe) :)

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Cairns seems to be lucky at getting government funding for a foreshore redevolpment. When we had the Strand upgraded, It was all state money. So your politicians seem to be real fighters up there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Circus in town October 6-24th

There's a Circus in town at Barlow park till 24th October, i dont know the name of this circus but i have seen the advertisments around town, (le cirque....international time travellers tour......something along those lines) but anyways get down there and see them. I've been hearing some great reviews from other people. So i guess its worth going down and checking out

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Cirque le Voyague or Voyage or something like that. They were in Townsville a couple of weeks ago. Its worth a good look yeah. Did you watch the Footy Show when it went to Townsville before the Cowboys-Broncos match. Well on no Talent Time (Segment on Footy Show) there were a couple of Romanian Strongmen at the end. Well they were promoting Cirque le Voyague.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cairns Taipans beat Perth Wildcats in Basketball thriller

the taipans beat the wildcats in a thrilling overtime battle. Cairns led for most of the three quarters then perth bounced back to lead by three points.
I will post the rest of the story once i get a copy of today's post :)

1 - 20 of 1083 Posts