SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just got home after almost six months on a container ship with a lot of pics , so here it goes

i got on my ship in L.A. (almost 18 hours flight from Bucharest to LAX damnnn)

landing in LA

heading to Long Beach port

my first glimpse of a new port since departure of US , Auckland - New Zeeland

entering port

off the ship in a mini vacation

at the bus station and as i understand there is also a huge underground train station here

ferry building

christmas atmosphere in the city

SKY TOWER, the tallest free standing structure in the southern emisphere

great view of auckland cityscape

hope you like so far , be back with more pics soon :)

·
Neon overdose
3,941 Posts
Nice stop in Auckland, a very modern city. Keep that incredible journey pics coming!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are some more , still in Auckland , got up to the top of skytower to view the incredible view :D

partial glass floor , very nice

[/URL

you can see my container ship in this pic , the port is like directly in downtown Auckland , sweet
[URL=http://img691.imageshack.us/i/p1000157t.jpg/]

see 4 m taller than the Eiffel tower

inside the observation platform

and back on the ground

a nice little sunday market

that's it for now with Auckland , by far the cleanest ,civilised and most modern city i saw , good job people:cheers: ; next stop Melbourne - Australia

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and continuing , left from Auckland and after 2 days of sailing approach Melbourne Australia

on the YARRA river

off the ship and after a short car ride with the nice people from the seaman's mission arrived near the train station

melbourne's free city circle tram

interesting unknown brand they have

it is after all the " Tram city"

melbourne's metro i guess

be back soon with more

·
Registered
1 Posts
great pictures ! i hope you will post all of your photos .and ,you really should make a blog of your own .you can use wordpress,it's really easy .

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad you like them people , here are some more

the blue one on the left is called Eureka tower , and is the tallest skyscraper in Australia and has a very nice observation platform on top , where of course i went :)

this guy insisted he appeared in the pic

crosing on the other side of the river to the financial district

from the base of Eureka tower

and up i go , just in time for a great sun set

...and back down , hurry back to the ship , have to go to work :)

inside the city circle tram

left the next day , continued on the australian coast to Sydney

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
20,985 Posts
I'll be following this thread. Great pictures.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
arrived in Sydney , unfortunately very later , and with only a couple of containers to unload so didn't really have much time to go out , but i did anyway wasn't going to miss this chance

at the circular quay

inside the opera house

and hurry back to catch the last metro

interesting double deckers metro they have there

from the elevated station

and one from inside the trains

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so arrived back on the coast of the US , firs port of call Oakland- California , right across the bay from San Francisco

approaching the bay

sorry i dont have any pics with alcatraz , we passed right along side it , but all the pics are with some guy from the crew in the middle of them :)

approaching SF

bay bridge

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really great pictures!

Must be a great feeling to pass the Golden Gate Bridge and reach SF after two weeks on the ocean.

·
Registered
meow
6,337 Posts
Wow, nice shots! You should have taken some pics of the ship.

I can't imagine how it is to be stuck in a ship for 2 entire weeks, it would be unbearable!

About the cities, you visited 2 of my favorite cities: Sydney and Melbourne. Too bad you couldn't get a taste of Sydney under the sun, I really wanna visit this city too. And it's a pitty you caught bad weather in Melbourne, also a stunning city.

Auckland surprised me, I didn't imagine it was so so modern, very beautiful city!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, nice shots! You should have taken some pics of the ship.

I can't imagine how it is to be stuck in a ship for 2 entire weeks, it would be unbearable!

About the cities, you visited 2 of my favorite cities: Sydney and Melbourne. Too bad you couldn't get a taste of Sydney under the sun, I really wanna visit this city too. And it's a pitty you caught bad weather in Melbourne, also a stunning city.

Auckland surprised me, I didn't imagine it was so so modern, very beautiful city!

Thanks!!!

life on board is not so bad actually , living conditions were very good on the ship i was , large cabin hotel like with bathroom , great food , you're office is 5 floors up so don't have to worry about commute , there was a gym , recreation room with ps2 and others , permanent email and everybody's favourite place the swimming pool :)
here are some pics from the ship
my cabin , sorry for the mess

view from my deck

here's one from the swimming pool

view from the bridge , my office :)

....and the view from inside an empty hold , the other worksite

and getting ready for ship maneuvering , next port entrance: Long Beach L.A.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
back in LA , went out to see the city , started from Long Beach

metro station

and here's a pic with the metro , metro is very similar to the one in Istanbul , has sections wich look like tram , also some suspended segments , and when it get's to downtown l.a. it goes underground , wich is were i got off.
Have to mention between long beach and downtown you pass trough south central LA , Compton , i saw the big not so pleasant part of LA , i wanted to take some pics but i was kind of scared to take out my camera taking in account my surroundings in the train :) , downtown was nice and safe tough

DOWNTOWN L.A.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts