SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
21,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE on September 16th 2009, on the "Full Summary of Projects" thread . . .

I've just came across a planning application for the calders yard development, which I believe was refused a few years ago? Can anybody confirm this? It looks like revised plans have been submitted. The application and supporting documents are available at the link...

http://gisccs013.newcastle.gov.uk/Pu...earchtype=SPEC

Copies of the computer-generated images of the planned development were then supplied johnnypd on September 19th 2009, who wrote . . .

"Interesting, isn't this site where the council is pushing for an exhibition centre? I can't imagine they'll be too keen on approving yet more shit, unsustainable rabbit hutches that would scupper their plans for a more useful redevelopment. the plans looks predictably grim, boring single-use apartment ghetto that anyone not living there will never use, the kind of thing I hoped we'd seen the last of. I wonder if the "one or more" commercial units would ever get built, or, in the event they did, if they would ever attract occupants. Also - surface carparking."

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
Am I right in thinking this is the conference centre around the Arena?

If it is, it looks as though they have decided to not touch the Arena now, which to me seems to be a bad thing, I think we now need a higher capacity Arena. I'd also like us to have a icon building for it, like what Leeds are doing, what Liverpool has just done, and what Glasgow is starting next to the SECC.

Also, could that area in future not be called NECC? NECC meaning Newcastle Expedition and Conference Centre.

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
I think it's on the site of the old lead works !!

It's in a prime location and is the first thing you see when entering the city across the redheugh bridge but you're right, the arena just has to be replaced with a keynote structure, something to be proud of ... in it's current state as every year passes it just looks more like an old aircraft hanger :eek:hno:

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
I think it's on the site of the old lead works !!

It's in a prime location and is the first thing you see when entering the city across the redheugh bridge but you're right, the arena just has to be replaced with a keynote structure, something to be proud of ... in it's current state as every year passes it just looks more like an old aircraft hanger :eek:hno:
It's amazing that it's little over 10 years old, and the man behind it is still treated like a local hero for it. Yes Newcastle needed one, but even 10 years ago they could of though to of put some thought into the building. I mean the Sydney Opera house is over 40 years old, the conference centre in SECC in Glasgow was also at the planning stages then, so why didn't they just think, what will this look like in 10 years time?

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I'd love to see a proper stage style arena built like the one planned for Glasgow, this one could be kept for sporting events and the whole complex turned into a conference centre a bit like the former GMEX in Manchester.

Having seen what the party conferences (and regular trade conferences) have done for the hotel trade in Manchester (skyscraper hotels shooting up all around the conference centre), it would be great to see Newcastle get on the conference map.

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
I'd love to see a proper stage style arena built like the one planned for Glasgow, this one could be kept for sporting events and the whole complex turned into a conference centre a bit like the former GMEX in Manchester.

Having seen what the party conferences (and regular trade conferences) have done for the hotel trade in Manchester (skyscraper hotels shooting up all around the conference centre), it would be great to see Newcastle get on the conference map.
I 100% agree with you. When you see places like Leeds, Liverpool and Glasgow all planning these Arena's that are better designed, with higher capacities, with a similar catchment size to Newcastle, it makes you feel we are leaving ourselves behind.

Also conference facilites are now a must in every city now, something which Newcastle and the region does not have enough of, so having these facilites should be a priority to NCC and the developers.

By the way, Liverpool's Arena looks good, and the one Glasgow are building is awesome.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
^I think you're right, the arena seems to be the preferred site of a planned conference centre. but i dont think this is set in concrete - it is just a concept atm and id imagine the council would want to keep options open at this point.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
^^^ I wouldnt be surprised if the brewery site becomes the NCC preferred conference site as its better served by public transport and more central. Also with Downing Plaza having two hotels planned in there, one a Strawbery place and another (v loosely) slated for the St James Metro car park site, there would be lots of accommodation on the doorstep. Could see a few more hotels opening along the Boulevard too.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
^^^ I wouldnt be surprised if the brewery site becomes the NCC preferred conference site as its better served by public transport and more central. Also with Downing Plaza having two hotels planned in there, one a Strawbery place and another (v loosely) slated for the St James Metro car park site, there would be lots of accommodation on the doorstep. Could see a few more hotels opening along the Boulevard too.
Sounds like a better idea to me toonlad.

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
Personally, I think it looks better without the few extra floors, in all honesty it's just too outloud to be nice at that height, I think, but I'm not sure yet, that it would suit being the smaller height, though I wouldn't say it would excite me, with it being built.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If the awful Metroradio Arena is to be replaced would it be in the same spot? If thats the case then that building needs to be more shorter

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
If the awful Metroradio Arena is to be replaced would it be in the same spot? If thats the case then that building needs to be more shorter
I would say so, if those plans for the arena are anything to actually go by, then it looks like the arena would be some sort of bowl/disc that hovers high and takes alot of air space with it.

That is if those renders or even plans are actually anything to go by.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Calder leadworks - Approved

Not seen anything mentioned about this but sorry if already posted.

Application for 500 new homes on the former industrial site between the arena and the river Tyne has been approved.

Bellway is the house building, plans are for 526 apartments across 12 blocks.

Norman Fada, land director at Bellway, said: "The regeneration along the banks of the Tyne has come a long way and we hope this scheme will continue that success story. There is still real demand for this kind of development on Tyneside and we hope to begin construction on the site in 2010."

Not seen much other info on it but it is certainly an area that has needed something doing for some time, construction is expected to start next year.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts