SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Forth Banks Area - THREADS RE-ORGANISED

The below detailed work has now been completed.

The effect on THIS thread has been to 'copy' some posts, and to 'move' some other posts, into this newly re-named thread, from the existing "Forth Banks - Developments" thread, as well as to move ALL posts into here from the "Newcastle Heliport Project Thread" which has now been cancelled.

OK, it is "quite complex" in this large area of the City Centre immediately to the west of Central Station, but off we go . . .

This is the area in question:

IMAGE courtesy of Ken O'Heed.

We currently have FOUR live Project Threads as well as ONE Area Developments Thread covering this 'wider' Forth Banks Area. The structure of these threads has evolved over the years quite naturally, and has done a good job, but now needs some amendment, as things have moved on.

List of current threads . . .

4 X PROJECT THREADS:

Calders Yard | Newcastle | Various - 4 Fl to 9 Fl | Dormant
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983200

Heliport Site | Newcastle | Various | Proposed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1791860

Forth Banks/Pottery Lane - 'Moorfield' and 'The Forge' Residential Developments | Newcastle | 7/9 Fl x 3 | Part Completed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1805907

Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1600715

1 X DEVELOPMENTS THREAD:

The Historic FORTH BANKS GOODS YARD and SOUTH OF POTTERY LANE Area - Discussions & Developments
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1893872

NOW,

The way we work on this forum is that we have 'Area Developments Threads', and when one or more developments on that thread becomes a large and definite "Project", it ceases to be discussed on the Developments Thread, and is given a Project Thread of its own. This is our way on this forum, and also fulfills SSCs preferred style of INDIVIDUALLY TITLED Project Threads.

This situation, though complex, should be treated in the same way, and so the "Forth Banks Goods Yard and South of Pottery Lane Area" Developments Thread has done a good job, and will continue onward as it now is. It is likely though (after the below detailed Project Threads re-structuring to include the 'emerging new projects') it will have far less discussion taking place on it from now on.

PROPOSALS . . .

(I am writing all of these as 'proposals' for discussion, rather than just making the changes, due to the high level of member-interest in these Forth Banks Area Threads)

(1) The Forth Banks Developments Thread to continue, for the reasons stated above.

A number of recent 'specific project-related' posts will be moved out into the appropriate Project Thread, as will be discussed below.

(2) The current Forth Banks 'Residential' (Forge & Moorfields) Project Thread, will be re-titled to include the newly proposed 525 apartments at Pottery Lane (former 'CEMEX Works Site'?). Relevant posts will be moved to the Project Thread from the Developments Thread, and the new title could be . . .

Forth Banks/Pottery Lane ('Moorfield', 'Forge' and 'former Cemex Site') RESIDENTIAL FLATS | Newcastle | Various | Proposed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1805907

(3) The current Calders Yard Project Thread, will be re-titled to include ALL of that area (immediately outside of the above detailed 'residential flats' area) that is just to the west of Redheugh Bridge. That area is the Calders Yard, Heliport, and Newcastle Arena area. Now, the Arena is currently NOT under re-development, but it is likely to eventually be so, so it seems sensible to include it within the re-vamped Project Thread Title, so that the location of future forum discussions about it becomes well known.

The new 'Calders Project Thread' title could be . . .

Calders Yard Site, Heliport Site, Newcastle Arena future Site | Newcastle | Various | Proposed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=983200

Relevant posts will be re-located to the re-named Project Thread from the Developments Thread and the (now) superfluous "Heliport Project Thread" will be closed (deleted) and all posts moved to the re-named Calders yard Project Thread.

(4) The (described as) 'North of Pottery Lane' proposals consist of (unless I am mistaken?) the car-parking etc plans related to the refurbishment/modernisation of Central Station, and so should be included on the "Central Station Redevelopment Project Thread". That thread could usefully perhaps be slightly re-titled as . . .

Central Station Redevelopment (and Area West of Central Station) | Newcastle | Various | U/C
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1600715

SO . . .

I have included in the above set of proposals my own thoughts plus the many and various thoughts from Ken O'Heed, prostu2, and No Opinion.

I'm sure these proposals are not perfect (today is the first chance I have had chance to study the situation closely) but hopefully they are a 'start'.

Comments please !!

·
Registered
19,629 Posts

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
Newcastle Heliport Site & adjacent Elswick gasometers etc - some further "old" pictures Part 1

My last post with pictures of the Elswick gas holder removal on this recently created thread was post #142 on 02/05/16, "Newcastle City Heliport site, removal of gasometer etc, pictures 02/05/16"

With a bit of time to spare due to the virus situation and when looking through some of my "old" pictures when preparing the "National Garden Festival Gateshead & its legacy" posting, on History outside Newcastle boundary thread I came across some pictures showing views of the Newcastle Heliport Site & adjacent Elswick gasometers etc, think not posted previously

02/11/11 viewed from Windmill Hills area Gateshead

12/01/12

12/01/12 from roof of now demolished 29 storey Derwent Tower, aka The Dunston Rocket, r#Ravensworth Rd Estate, Dunston

20/03/12 as viewed from Whickham area

28/08/12 again views from Windmill Hills

31/08/12

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
Newcastle Heliport Site & adjacent Elswick gasometers etc - some further "old" pictures Part 2

Part 2

With a bit of time to spare due to the virus situation and when looking through some of my "old" pictures when preparing the "National Garden Festival Gateshead & its legacy" posting, on History outside Newcastle boundary thread I came across some pictures showing views of the Newcastle Heliport Site & adjacent Elswick gasometers etc, think not posted previously

22/09/12

28/09/12

From Redheugh Bridge footpath - pity there is no footpath on west side of the bridge

22/02/14

27/01/15

14/03/15

23/05/15

finally a "current" view of the area looking from Windmill Hills, Gateshead on 18/03/20

KEN

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Revised Draft Forth Yards Opportunity Site Development Framework
As well as incorrectly spelling Lowry's name the development document doesn't mention that the Victorian stone walls are poorly maintained and knackered. They do point out a population of the Dingy skipper butterfly, which is perhaps fanciful and should be verified. These were last seen on the Casltle Leazes allotments, before they were cleared, but might survive on the rough banks. Now might be a good time to search for them, or at the end of the month.

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
New vision unveiled for £250m 'Ouseburn of the west' Calders leadworks site development as giant plans are redrawn again

Chronicle Live website article on 05/05/20

EXTRACT

New vision unveiled for £250m 'Ouseburn of the west' development as giant plans are redrawn again

For the second time in the space of six months, designs for the huge Quayside West development on the derelict Calders leadworks site have been changed

Massive plans to build an Ouseburn-like village to the west of Newcastle city centre have been redrawn again.

Developers have cut another 100 homes from their £250 million plans for the Quayside West regeneration project, saying they want to create more open space and maximise spectacular views of the River Tyne.

It is the second time in the space of six months that the size of the huge project has been scaled back, with the original 1,500-home plan now cut to 1,100 dwellings.

Full article on New vision unveiled for £250m 'Ouseburn of the west'

KEN

281 - 288 of 288 Posts