1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INDEPTH: CALEDONIA LAND CLAIM
Historical timeline

CBC News Online |

Six Nations natives and developer Henco Industries are involved in a land dispute over a 40-hectare tract near Hamilton, Ont. Here is a history of the land in question:

1784:
For its loyalty to the British Crown during the American Revolution, the Six Nations is rewarded with a tract of land. The Province of Upper Canada permits Six Nations to "take possession of and settle" a strip of land nearly 20 kilometres wide along the Grand River, from its source to Lake Erie, totaling about 385,000 hectares.

Henco Industries now says the so-called "Haldimand Grant" (named after the commander of the British forces) was merely a licence to occupy the lands, with legal title remaining with the Crown. Six Nations dispute that claim.

1792:
Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe reduces land grant to the Six Nations to 111,000 hectares.

1796:
Six Nations grants its chief, Joseph Brant, the power of attorney to sell off some of the land and invest the proceeds. The Crown opposes the sales but eventually concedes.

1835:
The Crown approaches Six Nations about developing Plank Road (now Highway 6) and the surrounding area. Six Nations agrees to lease half a mile of land on each side for road, but does not surrender the land. Lt.-Gov. John Colborne agrees to the lease but his successor, Sir Francis Bond Head, does not. After 1845, despite the protests of Six Nations, Plank Road and surrounding lands would be sold to third parties.

1840:
The government recommends that a reserve of 8,000 hectares be established on the south side of the Grand River and the rest sold or leased.

Jan. 18, 1841:
Six Nations council agrees to surrender for sale all lands outside those set aside for a reserve, on the agreement the government would sell the land and invest the money for them. A faction of Six Nations petition against the surrender, saying the chiefs were deceived and intimidated.

Six Nations would challenge that claim in a 1995 lawsuit and it is part of the basis for the current protest.

June 1843:
A petition to the Crown said Six Nations needed a 22,000-hectare reserve and wanted to keep and lease a tier of lots on each side of Plank Road and several other tracts of land in the Haldimand area.

Dec. 18, 1844:
A document signed by 47 Six Nations chiefs appears to authorize sale of land to build Plank Road.

May 15, 1848:
The land where the current development, Douglas Creek Estates, now sits is sold to George Marlot Ryckman for 57 pounds and 10 shillings and a Crown deed is issued to him.

1850:
The Crown passes a proclamation setting out extent of reserve lands, about 19,000 hectares agreed to by the Six Nations chiefs.

1924:
Under the Indian Act, the Canadian government establishes an elected government on the reserve.

1992:
Henco Industries Ltd. purchases a company that owned 40 hectares of what it would later call the Douglas Creek Estates lands.

1995:
The Six Nations sue the federal and provincial governments over the land. The developer calls it "an accounting claim" for "all assets which were not received but ought to have been received, managed or held by the Crown for the benefit of the Six Nations."

July 2005:
The subdivision plan for Douglas Creek Estates is registered with title to the property guaranteed by the province of Ontario.

Feb. 28, 2006:
A group of Six Nations members takes over the housing project, erecting tents, a teepee and a wooden building.

Timeline of Current Events

So, what do you think? Do you side with the developers or the Six Nations? Will this be resolved soon, and peacefully (or will there be another Ipperwash?)?

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
The White people have put up thier own road block now, ( watching on CBC news world ). GOOD OR THEM . ITS ABOUT TIME ! DONT GIVE IN UNTILL THEY ARE HEARD TOO! :tongue:

·
Es mejor en el campo
268 Posts
Dr. Phalange said:
1835:
The Crown approaches Six Nations about developing Plank Road (now Highway 6) and the surrounding area. Six Nations agrees to lease half a mile of land on each side for road, but does not surrender the land. Lt.-Gov. John Colborne agrees to the lease but his successor, Sir Francis Bond Head, does not. After 1845, despite the protests of Six Nations, Plank Road and surrounding lands would be sold to third parties.
This would seem to indicate, then, that Sir Francis Bond Head misappropriated the land, i.e. he stole it. If true, then restitution would have to be made. It seems to me this this is where the crux of the issue lies.

I'd like to see conclusive documentation of this. What bothers me about the media coverage is that nobody seems to be doing any detective work. If there is conclusive evidence either way, then let's have it!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rousseau said:
This would seem to indicate, then, that Sir Francis Bond Head misappropriated the land, i.e. he stole it. If true, then restitution would have to be made. It seems to me this this is where the crux of the issue lies.
I agree, this is where the major problem has it's historical roots.

But things become more complex and somewhat mucky:

Jan. 18, 1841:
Six Nations council agrees to surrender for sale all lands outside those set aside for a reserve, on the agreement the government would sell the land and invest the money for them. A faction of Six Nations petition against the surrender, saying the chiefs were deceived and intimidated.

Six Nations would challenge that claim in a 1995 lawsuit and it is part of the basis for the current protest.

Dec. 18, 1844:
A document signed by 47 Six Nations chiefs appears to authorize sale of land to build Plank Road.

rousseau said:
I'd like to see conclusive documentation of this. What bothers me about the media coverage is that nobody seems to be doing any detective work. If there is conclusive evidence either way, then let's have it!
I couldn't agree more. All the public recieves is superficial information analogous to an American Action News broadcast. A little public eduacation would be nice.

Too bad, because obviously there is going to be low public opinion of the Six Nations, both deserved and otherwise. I think if people knew the history, they may have a bit more sympathy to the native cause.

However, disrupting the lives of thousands in Caledonia is not any way to bolster public opinion or sympathy. I don't blame those in Caledonia for being very pissed off. Throw in theft of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and the looting of Henco Industries offices (important stolen corporate documents offered back to Caledonia developer – for a price) and you have worn the credibilty of the cause (at least on face value) thin in the public eye.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
The biggest question to this whole thing is....

WHERE THE **** IS THE FEDS?!

This thing has been dragging out for months and absoutely nothing from Harper or Jim Prentice (Aboriginal minister), he even hid from CH news for an interview. CH news is still after 3 months pushing for an interview with Jim Prentice, he still says he's busy for an interview, yet he managed to find time for an interview with his local news station during the budget.

The last conservative leader Mulroney brought out the army to settle the dispute.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Some pictures that I took in Caledonia, it's only 20 minutes where I live.

OPP and the Argyle Street blockade, this is the blockade that a brawl broke out today.

The housing development

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
IT would appear that the NATIVE road block is made up of Cell phone towers from the region . There has been large ammounts of fist fights breaking out and it would appear that this is not going to be ending anytime soon. I think the people of NEW C. are FED up with beeing the PAWN of the NATIVE WIMS ( bull Dossers ). They Dug up the land because the NATIVES ORDERD the NON natives to leave ... THEY did not so , now we have TWO ROAD BLOCKS , One native one white.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aboriginal protesters remove blockade then put it back up in Caledonia, Ont.

CALEDONIA, Ont. (CP) - Tensions simmered for hours and aboriginal demonstrators and frustrated residents of Caledonia, Ont., came to blows Monday after a contentious blockade was taken down and then reconstructed hours later.

It was thought taking down the barricade would calm tensions, since it had stopped traffic on the town's main road for more than a month.

Demonstrators began blockading the road on April 20 when police attempted to forcibly remove protesters, who have been occupying a 40-hectare piece of land since Feb. 28, saying it is rightfully theirs.

Six Nations Confederacy Chief Allen McNaughton said Monday morning that the barricades came down as a goodwill gesture since progress was being made in negotiations. He said the protesters have always acted fairly during the dispute.

"As the world has seen, our protest has been firm but peaceful. Our people are responding without weapons, using only their bodies to assert that we are a sovereign people with a long history and that we cannot be intimidated," he said. "Justice and reason are on our side."

But tensions grew as non-aboriginal residents built their own human barricade on the road and stopped aboriginals from passing through, said the protesters' spokeswoman Janie Jamieson.

"They're instigating, (they're) a bunch of irate radicals," she said.

"What they don't realize is if they continuously threaten our safety, that barricade can go right back up again, so it's entirely their decision," she said.

Early Monday afternoon, the protesters did in fact restore the barricade, and dozens of provincial police officers stepped in to separate the two sides.

Former Ontario premier and provincial negotiator David Peterson said he's hopeful the whole dispute will soon be resolved peacefully, despite ongoing tensions between the aboriginals and local residents.

He said a huge step forward has been made in negotiations and fighting between both sides at the former blockade site shouldn't be the focus.

"All of us were praying and working hard to try to make sure something ugly didn't develop out of this, like an Oka or a Wounded Knee," Peterson said, referencing previous aboriginal standoffs that ended in violence.

"Hopefully we can get through this in a peaceful way and start a peaceful, meaningful engagement in some of these issues. That is the only solution to this problem."

Six Nations members occupied the site arguing that the land belongs to them. They say they agreed to lease the property for a road in 1835, and dispute arguments that it was later sold to the Crown.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Canada has become a country of two classes . Working class ( YOU AND ME ) and the other side who gets FREE housing , EDUCATION and HUGE TAX Cutts in specific area of the COUNTRY . IF I lived in NEW C Id be there flying the Maple LEAF and Happier the a pig in shit. Maybe this is the begging of somehting Big , who knows.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plans to remove Caledonia blockade put on hold

CBC News

Plans to remove an aboriginal blockade of a road near Caledonia, Ont., have been delayed because area residents have set up a blockade of their own.

Ontario Provincial Police members line up to block protesters after a rally on April 24 in Caledonia, Ont. (Canadian Press)

Janie Jamieson, a spokeswoman for the Six Nations, said Sunday the protesters are staying put until Caledonia residents allow the aboriginals to get through.

The second blockade began Friday night as part of a weekly demonstration by some members of the community near Hamilton who are frustrated by the aboriginal barricade on Highway 6.

Jamieson says the decision to remove the Six Nations blockade Monday morning was a goodwill gesture that they now regret.

The original blockade was erected in mid-April by Six Nations protesters who say a housing development is being built on land stolen from them more than 200 years ago.

Any inconvenience for area residents is negligible compared to the hundreds of years of abuse and neglect experienced by Six Nations members, Jamieson said.

ALSO, Ontario offers to compensate developers

·
Es mejor en el campo
268 Posts
Rhino said:
I think the people of NEW C....
I grew up in Caledonia, though I haven't lived there for 25 years. "New Caledonia" is an island in the South Pacific. Who calls Caledonia, Ontario "New Caledonia?" Where did you get this from?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
You know what they did? They cut down a hydro steel tower (those steel frame hydro thingy) and dragged that to the Argyle Street blockade. There's a power plant near by so the area has tons of hydro polls.

So the question is how come one of them didn't get electrocuted or something? lol Yea screw the residents living there without power now, great attitude.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Steeltown said:
You know what they did? They cut down a hydro steel tower (those steel frame hydro thingy) and dragged that to the Argyle Street blockade. There's a power plant near by so the area has tons of hydro polls.

So the question is how come one of them didn't get electrocuted or something? lol Yea screw the residents living there without power now, great attitude.
I know that Ontario Hydro was putting up a new set of power lines. Maybe this is an old tower?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Nope...................

Caledonia in chaos after barricade comes down then quickly goes back up
Hamilton Spectator

The situation in Caledonia is deteriorating by the minute this afternoon.

Native protesters have dug up the pavement on Argyle Street and there are reports that power is out in parts of Haldimand County.

About 50 police officers have taken up a position between residents and native protesters on the main street in Caledonia. The police intervention was prompted by a fight that broke out between native protesters and residents.

The events of this afternoon are a stark contrast to the morning, when native protesters removed the barricade as a sign of goodwill.

"If you had asked me three hours back, I'd say we are finally coming together and building some harmony'", said David Peterson, who had been working for the Ontario government as an interim negotiatior, trying to cool down local emotions.

What happened this morning after the native barricade was removed is not entirely clear. As native protesters were giving a news conference, some residents from Caledonia formed a human chain across the road. A fight between some of the residents and protesters followed and police intervened.

As a result of the exchange, the barricade went back up and remains there.

David Peterson says the hotter things get at Caledonia, the more he fears something will happen to force an Oka or Ipperwash style incident.

"These issues tend to collect extreme elements on both sides," said the former Ontario premier, who has been at Caledonia three weeks trying to calm emotions and bring the sides together.

"What you fear is something like the permanent stain of an Oka. You think of Ipperwash and you think of a certain set of facts."

Peterson was referring to the shooting death of Dudley George, a native protestor at Ipperwash, and the violent confrontation at Oka, Quebec in 1990.

"Something went wrong," Peterson said after barricades were put back up and road reopenings scuttled.

"The native community offered a gesture, taking it (barricade) down," Peterson said. "Somehow or other, this gesture was not accepted as what it is," he said, referring to the local reaction.

"The native community doesn't bear the Caledonia community any malice. In a sense, they (Caledonia residents) were collateral damage."

Haldimand County Mayor Marie Trainer said she didn't know what to think when the situaion deteriorated.

"It was going to be good for business that Argyle Street was open, and safer."

She said she didn't know exacty what happened, and was disappointed.

The situation on the ground topday was "making things very hot," Trainer said. "But I understand the frustration."

Peterson began today planning to hand the situation over to the official land negotiation team for the federal and provincial goverments -- headed by former federal Tory minister Barbara McDougall for Ottawa and former Liberal cabinet minister Jane Stewart, appointed by Ontario. He believed his job of "cooling things out" so formal negotiations could begin was over.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rhino said:
Canada has become a country of two classes . Working class ( YOU[sic] AND ME ) and the other side who gets FREE housing , EDUCATION and HUGE TAX Cutts in specific area of the COUNTRY . IF I lived in NEW C Id be there flying the Maple LEAF and Happier the a pig in shit.
New Caledonia was also the name of Vancouver Island before it became part of B.C.

I'd agree that you are a pig in shit. How does someone cram so much ignorance and racism into less than a dozen misspelled sentences? Regardless of your opinion—simplistic as it may be—at least have the civility to explain it a method more coherent than an anti-native rant with random capitals. Why don't you go suffocate yourself.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Things wouldn’t get worst if the Feds got balls and acted on this issue and settle it. But instead Harper’s government choose to sit and hide and let the people of Caledonia fix this problem on their own.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Steeltown said:
Things wouldn’t get worst if the Feds got balls and acted on this issue and settle it. But instead Harper’s government choose to sit and hide and let the people of Caledonia fix this problem on their own.
Someone who clearly doesn't know his facts. Former Premier David Peterson was appointed by BOTH THE FEDS AND THE PROVINCE AS CHIEF NEGOTIATOR. The deputy ministers from both levels are also at the table representing both levels. The feds have usually left it up to the province to take care of these types of problems and only when they get out of control do they send in the army/RCMP and get seriously involved.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No Dalton appointed Peterson and Jane Stewart, both whom are Liberals. Harper appointed Barbara McDougall, former Conservative cabinet minister.

TORONTO (CP) - Former Liberal premier David Peterson has been appointed provincial lead to help resolve a two-month aboriginal standoff at a southern Ontario construction site, The Canadian Press has learned.

Peterson will report directly to Ontario's Aboriginal Affairs Minister David Ramsay and will work on urgent matters in Caledonia, Ont., to restore calm to the embattled community.
Trust me I'm very active on this issue even took photos of the dispute.

David Peterson really has been running the show. Barbara McDougall I dunno what the hell happened to her you never hear about her.

And remember native land claim is 100% federal government issue. So really provincially appointed David Peterson shouldn't be running the show it should be Barbara McDougall but like I said she's hiding like the rest of the federal representative, all you have to do is google search Barbara name and you’ll see very little.

And jeicow why are you always making a mock of me? It seems like you always go after me and Hamilton.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
It's 2006 and people are still fighting with the natives.
I think both sides should be supressed.
Give the land legally to dogs or something.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.