1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JOSH WINGROVE
The Globe and Mail
Tuesday, Oct. 19, 2010

If you don't know the name Naheed Nenshi, take note.

A grassroots campaign driven by volunteers has delivered Canada its first Muslim mayor – Mr. Nenshi, who scored a staggering win in Calgary’s mayor’s race Monday.

He defeated two better-funded candidates, including one backed by Stephen Harper’s campaign team, and saw his support surge in the final few weeks. To say Mr. Nenshi's campaign was austere is understatement – he delivered his speech in a basement that was donated by a supporter at the last second.

The 38-year-old Mr. Nenshi survived a smear campaign and a telephone failure in the crucial final days and hours, before running away with what was to be a close vote. His candidacy was branded the “Purple Revolution,” named for his campaign colour and driven by a broad demographic that included strong youth support. He achieved what many observers thought impossible – a wonkish, even dorky, academic and visible minority elected to the helm of what is often called Canada's most conservative city after a campaign driven by charisma and sheer determination.

Mr. Nenshi had 39 per cent of the vote with 229 of 241 polls reporting, followed closely by alderman Ric McIver with 32 per cent and former CTV anchor Barb Higgins with 26 per cent.

Rest of article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...es-canadas-first-muslim-mayor/article1762765/

I got the same warm and fuzzy feeling when the Americans elected Obama =)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is he actually a practicing Muslim? Or is his family Islamic and therefore we're assuming he's Muslim.

I thought men who followed Islam were suppose to grow beards once they're hitched.

Whatever, as an atheist I don't like the idea of people who believe in invisble men in the sky holding office, but that's the world we live in today.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Calgary has a large Muslim population so one of them being elected to council was bound to happen eventually. I think his policies are more notable. He is pro-urban, wanting to reduce urban sprawl and make the city more livable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Okay so after doing some research on Naheed Nenshi, I think the whole muslim thing is being way over blown.

After seeing some youtube videos of him, he clearly comes off as a man who probably hasn't read the entire Quran or goes to the Mosque every Friday. A very casual Muslim.

I also like his platform and if I lived in Calgary I would most likely vote for him. Especially after seeing this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bzyRXK9nQ

I like his message of responsible neighborhood building, and cleaning up city hall, but not being all gungho about it like Rob Ford who's using the "gravy train" as his clutch to win the election.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought men who followed Islam were suppose to grow beards once they're hitched.
Well, the imam in Little Mosque on the Prairie was clean-shaven, lol.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Okay so after doing some research on Naheed Nenshi, I think the whole muslim thing is being way over blown.

After seeing some youtube videos of him, he clearly comes off as a man who probably hasn't read the entire Quran or goes to the Mosque every Friday. A very casual Muslim.

I also like his platform and if I lived in Calgary I would most likely vote for him. Especially after seeing this video.

I like his message of responsible neighborhood building, and cleaning up city hall, but not being all gungho about it like Rob Ford who's using the "gravy train" as his clutch to win the election.
Who are we to judge whether someone is a Muslim or a Christian? If anyone claims that they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic or Atheist, there is no way we can disprove them somehow.

Either way, congrats to Calgary on such a progressive choice. Any city will benefit from such a well educated man at the helm.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
is he one of the more moderate ismali muslims? they seem to be less "muslim"

this ismali muslim guy i know in calgary didn't even know when eid was when i told him - he doesn't fast for ramadan or eat halal etc.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts

There have been no shortage of "Casual Christians" in office in Canada throughout our history- some even "Ultra Casual".

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Good for Calgary! Kind of interesting that Calgary voted in an ethic man and Toronto is on the verge of voting in a white-trash loser.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
Very ironic indeed^^

·
Toon Town bandit
880 Posts
as far as i can remember, Calgary. has been highly tolerant of other ethnicities. it comes as no surprise to me being a Calgarian for all of my life that a Muslim would be elected as mayor. it is only people from other parts of Canada that have a misconception of Calgary being highly intolerant. my experience does not support this false profile. it is in fact a big city with a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, people and lifestyles.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
as far as i can remember, Calgary. has been highly tolerant of other ethnicities. it comes as no surprise to me being a Calgarian for all of my life that a Muslim would be elected as mayor. it is only people from other parts of Canada that have a misconception of Calgary being highly intolerant. my experience does not support this false profile. it is in fact a big city with a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, people and lifestyles.
tolerance and acceptance are two different things entirely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Who are we to judge whether someone is a Muslim or a Christian? If anyone claims that they are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic or Atheist, there is no way we can disprove them somehow.

Either way, congrats to Calgary on such a progressive choice. Any city will benefit from such a well educated man at the helm.
Congrats, you win the prize for most politically correct post of the day. UGH :puke:

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Congrats, you win the prize for most politically correct post of the day. UGH :puke:
Once again our friend from South Carolina pops in to admonish Canada for behaviour that he does not approve of! :nono::soapbox:

Canada and America are two separate countries, and we do not view everything the same way. We are neighbours, but we each have our own ideas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
tolerance and acceptance are two different things entirely.
One of the exceptional things about Calgary is that unlike a lot of multicultural cities/places, the acceptance goes both ways. It's not just pre-existing Calgarians accepting newcomers but also the newcomers accepting Calgarians and allowing them into their circle(s).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts