SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Saddle Dome is 23 years old and the Flames have anounced this week they want a new Modern Stadium built. Their lease runs out 2014 and they have set that as a possible date. They would like it in the same area and possibly on the same spot. It was last updated in 1995.

·
Ex-mod
8,413 Posts
why not just have a huge renovation? the Saddledome is a landmark venue.

·
Technocrat
1,184 Posts
I like the Saddledome. It's iconic and a defining part of the city skyline (at least from the southeast). I would hate to see an excellent venue replaced by something bland and generic, like most of the arenas and stadiums going up nowadays (in North America).

Quite frankly, I can't see my city without it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't disagree that the Saddledome is fine for say, the Hitmen...isn't it the largest arena in the WHL?

but it is kinda getting a little outdated. i'm sure Calgary's million plus people would back a new arena for its now thriving NHL team. especially if they make another run at the cup this year (be better for any arena bid if they won it...). personally, i wouldn't mind seeing a new 25,000 seat arena in Vic Park say inbetween 5th and 6 Street SE and 12 and 14 ave SE.

but i think Calgary should concentrate on a new stadium for the Stamps before worrying about the Flames new digs

·
Technocrat
1,184 Posts
WinnipegPatriot said:
Transform the dreadful thing into a skateboard bowl!
LOL, why would we do that? We already have the worlds largest outdoor skatepark (Shaw Millenium Park) just to the west of Downtown.

BTW, they've mentioned that any new arena would have the same amount of regulary seating, but add more extra stuff (more box seats, restaurants, more restrooms, etc.) so the average Calgarian likely wouldn't benefit from this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I'd love to see is another huge renovation on the Saddledome and make it as up-to-date as the Flames would like to see. Then, as the project would inevitably cut into part of a season, have the the Flames play their home games in the Corral! Wouldn't that be nostalgic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ltsowiak said:
You see... we're thinking alike! :drunk:
see, now this may be off topic, but if the Flames and Oilers wanted to make some serious money next season:

have an "80's Revival Game" in the Corral as the season opener.

you have the old Flames (ie: McDonald, Loob, Peplinski, Suter, Otto, Vernon...coached by Terry Crisp) play the old Oilers (ie: Gretzky, Messier, MacTavish, Anderson, Coffey, Fhur...coached by Glenn Sather) in a 3 10 minute period game prior to the main game. honestly, i think that would go over and sell better then the Outdoor Classic that the Oilers and Hab's tried a couple years back...

its a pipe dream. but it would be totally awesome!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Distill3d said:
see, now this may be off topic, but if the Flames and Oilers wanted to make some serious money next season:

have an "80's Revival Game" in the Corral as the season opener.

you have the old Flames (ie: McDonald, Loob, Peplinski, Suter, Otto, Vernon...coached by Terry Crisp) play the old Oilers (ie: Gretzky, Messier, MacTavish, Anderson, Coffey, Fhur...coached by Glenn Sather) in a 3 10 minute period game prior to the main game. honestly, i think that would go over and sell better then the Outdoor Classic that the Oilers and Hab's tried a couple years back...

its a pipe dream. but it would be totally awesome!!!
I totally agree. It would be great entertainment. I think the Oilers would probably kill em, but I know a game like that would be just for the fun and nostalgia of it. Maybe someone like you should try to get the ball rolling. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
WinnipegPatriot said:
Transform the dreadful thing into a skateboard bowl!

I like Winnipeg's new arena, and think Calgary could use something like it....

why would Calgary use something like that. The MTS Centre is too small for NHL hockey at a capasity of 15 015 patrons. the Old "dreadful dome" holds thousands more. Yep, it's still a numbers game!
I think the Saddledome has alot more appeal then most new rinks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.