Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DATE:17/05/06
SOURCE:Flight International

Faced with airports naming themselves after popstars, sportsmen and fictional characters, the UK CAA has decided that enough is enough and is warning them that for operational purposes they are going to have to stick to something more sensible.

The regulators are concerned that some names - one of which manages to incorporate two towns and a mythical outlaw - have the potential to cause congestion on air traffic control radio frequencies and in some cases are geographically misleading.

The warning follows a series of decision by UK airports in recent years to rename themselves - reflecting a trend that is also widespread in the USA.

In the most recent example, Belfast City Airport is to be renamed next week after local soccer legend and spectacular alcoholic George Best, who died earlier this year. But Liverpool Airport has already been renamed after singer John Lennon, while the UK’s newest base was given the notably unwieldy name Robin Hood Airport Doncaster-Sheffield.

In a set of guidelines on the matter the CAA’s Aerodrome Standards Department stresses that aerodrome names must be “consistently recognisable, relevant, unambiguous and promulgated accordingly”.

While it concedes that ICAO’s airport standards recommendations do not specifically cover the permissibility of airport names, the CAA says that these recommendations imply that an airport should be named according to the nearest city or town it serves.

“It is now becoming increasingly common for aerodromes to be given commercially-inspired names, which do not follow this principle,” it states. “While the chosen name of an aerodrome may offer commercial or marketing benefits, it is important to ensure that there is no detrimental effect on aviation safety.”

In its policy guidelines the CAA says that the name should be “representative of its location” and adds: “Where the name includes a large conurbation or area that the aerodrome serves, it should also include the nearest settlement.

“Names that are non-aviation related, the name of a public figure, or that reflect the type of aerodrome or its operation – for example, ‘International’ – are not permitted.”

It adds that commercial names are not to be used in correspondence with the authority.

A CAA spokesman points out that, within aeronautical publications and for formal aviation use, airports need to be clearly identifiable. He adds that communicating long airport names simply takes up unnecessary radio time on congested air/ground frequencies.

“It doesn’t matter what the airport calls itself to its passengers,” he says. “We’re concerned only with safety and ease of use.”

He says that he is unaware of any particular cases of airports which will be required to change their names.

East Midlands Airport was renamed as Nottingham East Midlands two years ago, to allay confusion as to where the airport was located, while local councillors in the southern UK recently proposed that Southampton Airport be renamed after Reginald Joseph Mitchell, the designer of the Supermarine Spitfire fighter.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
I hate the current fad for naming airports after celebrities/ famous figures. It looks and sounds stupid and gives no indication to of where the airport actually is. Its fine the the odd airport.....Paris Charles de gualle, NY JFK e.t.c. But now its become a cliche, I'm sorry, but i dont think George Best should be the represetative of Belfast, and i think the same about John Lennon and Liverpool. It strikes me as being a symbol of the shallow, celebrity based society we live in today

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
Well. I dont mind it particularly even if it's a bit silly but I dont think they need to complain at it! They probably have nothing better to do.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
As long as they don't over do it, eg Essex-Chantell of big brother International, then whats the problem. Some will sound better than others, and some will take on different forms, it helps to promote the airport.

i.e. Liverpool J.L.A. rolls well off the tongue, similar to New York J.F.K., whereas Charles De Gaulle Airport can be said without mentioning Paris, and we all know where it is. Gatwick and Heathrow don't need any ammendment, because they are world famous.

·
Tax avoider
24,140 Posts
NothingBetterToDo said:
I hate the current fad for naming airports after celebrities/ famous figures. It looks and sounds stupid and gives no indication to of where the airport actually is. Its fine the the odd airport.....Paris Charles de gualle, NY JFK e.t.c. But now its become a cliche, I'm sorry, but i dont think George Best should be the represetative of Belfast, and i think the same about John Lennon and Liverpool. It strikes me as being a symbol of the shallow, celebrity based society we live in today
Hear, hear.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
NothingBetterToDo said:
Well said.

All the traveler needs to know is where they are going to and ending up at. International airports need to be named very carefully......

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Mr Eugene, what would you consider more recognisable, Liverpool John Lennon Airport or Speke Airport?

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Calling Liverpool *JLA* works very well. It's very appropriate, and John Lennon has turned out to be a lot more than just a passing fad of a celebrity/famous figure.

Liverpool was the first renaming, but calling Doncaster/Sheffield *Robin Hood* is a bit lame in comparison.

·
Just something
9,047 Posts
An absolute marketing master stroke ......

JUXTAPOL said:
As long as they don't over do it, eg Essex-Chantell of big brother International, then whats the problem. Some will sound better than others, and some will take on different forms, it helps to promote the airport.

i.e. Liverpool J.L.A. rolls well off the tongue, similar to New York J.F.K., whereas Charles De Gaulle Airport can be said without mentioning Paris, and we all know where it is. Gatwick and Heathrow don't need any ammendment, because they are world famous.
To be honest Jux, it made me personally initially cringe to have Speke Airport aka Liverpool Airport called `Liverpool John Lennon Airport` however it has been an absolute marketing master stroke as it has a `Global Brand` ie, he is known world wide for coming from the city of Liverpool.

Which is why other regional airports with little or no connections to `famous` people are now so forlorn.

Heathrow `Margaret Thatcher`
Manchester `Galagher`
Birmingham `Ozborne`
Bristol `Brunnel`
Glasgow `Connolly`
Cardiff `Church`

blah blah.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
So if a pilot lands at the wrong airport can he blame it on the name or does he get his wings clipped and finds himself serving the drinks rather than being in the jump-seat?

All this sounds like the same joke that calls the Stretford End the West stand to avoid confusion.

In a nutshell it is a common known fact that planes often get lost with their funky sat nav systems.
In a nutshell it is a common known fact that footy fans carry a compass to the ground.

What a wonderful world.

As someone has posted already... JFK, Heathrow, Gatwick, Charles de Gaulle are already named...perhaps it is some kind of CAA snobery with JLA and Robin Hood being too famous for little old Heathrow!

If the Americans can have John Wayne airport and not get sued by pilots/airlines then I am sure we can.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Bunnyman said:
Mr Eugene, what would you consider more recognisable, Liverpool John Lennon Airport or Speke Airport?
Liverpool Airport

or if it was international

Liverpool International Airport

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Mr Eugene, how about Liverpool NSW? Not long before the renaming, Liverpool Speke Airport would've been about the right size for a city like Liverpool NSW. You need something to differentiate. Hailing from New Zealand I'd guess you're more likely to have connecting flights etc to Liverpool, Australia than JLA.

·
^ Xbox GT: ^
2,379 Posts
Pietari said:
Manchester `Galagher`
Manchester `Galagher` :down:

Manchester `Morrisey` :eek:kay:

·
Rock Lord
12,954 Posts
In South Africa they are going the other way, the international airports were named after former PrimeMinisters such as Jan Smuts International has been renamed Johanasburg International. Cape Town International used to be D F Malan Airport and Durban airport was Louis Botha Airport, there is a whole list that has been changed.

I like these new name changes, who outside of South Africa or Namibia would have heard of Jan Smuts international.

I also would have a problem flying to P W Botha airport in George (now George Airport) or Verwoerd Airport now Port Elizabeth Airport.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts