SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Downtown San Jose
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which provides the most cost-effective mass-transit solution for the Bay Area?

Should BART alone circle the bay or limit itself to an East Bay-to-South Bay corridor while CalTrain operates on the Penninsula?

What of a CalTrain-like system connecting SJ to OAK in addition to SJ to SF?

Discuss!

·
Registered
267 Posts
i think cal train is way too slow......bart would be cool for the whole bay but VERY expensive! We NEED bart in sj but not through the east side into downtown....the east bay/south bay corridor needs to run from oakland into North San Jose, through SJC and into Diridon Station....bart through the east side makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think it's much more convenient to have one transit system that serves the Bay Area as a whole, so there's no need to transfer from one system to another. BART should circle the bay, it just should IMO.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
CalTrain works good for longer-distance travel in the SF to San Jose corrider. At this point, its not clear if there will be enough funding to extend BART to San Jose. But getting San Jose connected via BART to the rest of the Bay Area would be a good first step. But we're looking at maybe out to 2020 just for that. BART circling the Bay might be a great long-term dream come true. But it could also be a nightmare without some serious upgrades to BARTs aging technology & the branch out route system that creates too many systemwide delays. For the near-term, BART seems challenged just serving the existing system. Better fare & transfer integration remains key to making use of all the Bay Area transit systems easier.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Light rail would be cheaper than BART. I believe they can connect light rail from the BART station to San Jose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BART is just too expensive i think. I think they should make another Caltrain line through San Jose and then through the east bay to Fremont.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As a CalTrain rider, I love it...at least the bullets. SJ to SF in under an hour cannot be beat by BART. But then again BART has the advantage of connecting to the rest of the Bay. It's a shame they don't link up at the 4th St station in SF. Can I have both? :)

As far as electrification for CalTrain: it's still on the books; they're just awaiting $$$$. So it'll be done by 2020 or so! Once the train is electric it will be much faster and quieter.
http://caltrain.org/news_2004_4_6_public_meetings_on_electrification.html

Re: Light Rail

Does anyone know the reasoning behind not running it underground through downtown San Jose? It's slow, noisy and dangerous.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
arturo said:
As a CalTrain rider, I love it...at least the bullets. SJ to SF in under an hour cannot be beat by BART. But then again BART has the advantage of connecting to the rest of the Bay. It's a shame they don't link up at the 4th St station in SF. Can I have both? :)

As far as electrification for CalTrain: it's still on the books; they're just awaiting $$$$. So it'll be done by 2020 or so! Once the train is electric it will be much faster and quieter.
http://caltrain.org/news_2004_4_6_public_meetings_on_electrification.html

Re: Light Rail

Does anyone know the reasoning behind not running it underground through downtown San Jose? It's slow, noisy and dangerous.
its ridiciulously expensive. Look at the 1/3 mile tunnel vta had to build under the diridon tracks...100 million..and thats no stations or anything else

1 - 11 of 11 Posts