SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there are some excellent photographers on this here forum, I thought it might be a good place to get some advice before I splash out a load of money.

I use a point and shoot at the moment, but I want to go to the next level. I want better quality.

Thing is, I can't decide whether to go the whole hog and get a digital SLR, or to get one of these expensive point and shoot ones- like the Panasonic Lumix which has 12x zoom, and 8MP. These cost about £350.

What is the advantage of an SLR? Is there less image noise becuase processors are involved less?

Can anybody recommend a model that is good value for money- e.g. 7-8 MP, at least 55mm zoom, good model?

also, i'd like one that takes XD picture cards, as i already a 1GB one.

Advice appreciated. :cheers:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Last week I bought myself a Nikon D50 Blabs, well chuffed with it. £550 with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. The price seems to be going down by 5% every month though. 6mp but even when cropping the quality is still high. Takes SD cards though.

It's a good entry level SLR and not much more expensive than the top end point and shoot models. I also looked at a Nikon 8800 and the Panasonic you mentioned, but figured in the long term an SLR would be better.

The auto mode is good, and all the manual settings are there for when you need them and you can obviously get better lenses as you go.

You're always going to have to compromise somewhere with point and shoot cameras, even though some of the 'do everything' ones with big zooms look quite good, but if you're getting more into photography than I'd say have a look at an SLR, otherwise in 1 years time you might end up wanting to upgrade again.

The quality is a million times better compared to my last camera (Nikon 5400) and you really notice the difference. The sensor is far bigger, the lenses are better quality and the focus is better, noise is far lower and the write speed to the memory card is ridiculously fast!

But an SLR is heavier and bigger, and unless you'll be shooting just one type of shot, you need to carry around the lenses, and you can't preview shots on an LCD screen before shooting - which I don't think is a major problem really.

Also, try this site for good reviews www.dpreview.com

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Steve. I think I will go for an SLR. I'll just have to make sure I look after it and stick with for a good while.

Funny enough, I'm just looking at that Nikon now. It sounds like you got a good deal, getting that other lense with it too. I've been looking at the Canon 350D. The MP is higher but you don't get the extra lens, which is prob worth more.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that link.

:cheers:

ps. Post up some pics! :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
ps. Post up some pics! :)
At the moment I'm at home with my folks and I've taken as many pictures of my cat and the birds in the garden as I can stand!

Will be back in Liverpool next week though and I can't wait :)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Steve C said:
Last week I bought myself a Nikon D50 Blabs, well chuffed with it. £550 with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. The price seems to be going down by 5% every month though. 6mp but even when cropping the quality is still high. Takes SD cards though.

It's a good entry level SLR and not much more expensive than the top end point and shoot models. I also looked at a Nikon 8800 and the Panasonic you mentioned, but figured in the long term an SLR would be better.

The auto mode is good, and all the manual settings are there for when you need them and you can obviously get better lenses as you go.

You're always going to have to compromise somewhere with point and shoot cameras, even though some of the 'do everything' ones with big zooms look quite good, but if you're getting more into photography than I'd say have a look at an SLR, otherwise in 1 years time you might end up wanting to upgrade again.

The quality is a million times better compared to my last camera (Nikon 5400) and you really notice the difference. The sensor is far bigger, the lenses are better quality and the focus is better, noise is far lower and the write speed to the memory card is ridiculously fast!

But an SLR is heavier and bigger, and unless you'll be shooting just one type of shot, you need to carry around the lenses, and you can't preview shots on an LCD screen before shooting - which I don't think is a major problem really.

Also, try this site for good reviews www.dpreview.com
Not much more I can say after Steve C's excellent critique. The Nikon D50 takes excellent shots. Just wish it was 8MP, solely for home printing.

SD cards are so fucking cheap nowadays! I throw down the gauntlet to anyone who can find SD cards cheaper than this:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?&products_id=99101&r=20060428

Go for the D50.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Oh, one more thing. Are all the components for SLRs (e.g. lenses, extra flash, etc.) universal? Or does a Nikon have to have Nikon lenses, etc?
I think Canon ones work with Nikon, and brands like Sigma and Tamron can be used with Nikon too. From what I gather though, lenses should be the same brand as the camera, i.e Nikon know how to make lenses for their cameras better than anyone else so they're likely to be better.

I'll let scouserdave and co take over now though! :cheers:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Oh, one more thing. Are all the components for SLRs (e.g. lenses, extra flash, etc.) universal? Or does a Nikon have to have Nikon lenses, etc?
[Bit of a dickless reply, sorry.]
I don't know, to be honest. I think I read somewhere that you require a dedicated Nikon lens adaptor.

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

What do you have to say about Canon and Olympus equivalents? I'm very tempted by the Nikon, though I'll prob go into town and have a go of holding it n shit in the shop, just to make sure I like the feel of it. But, would I better be going for more MP, but much less of lense (as per Canon 350)? I have 6MP on my point and shoot, but I gather the qaulity must be far better on an equivalent MP SLR.

Thanks for your replies fellas

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Dave,

What do you have to say about Canon and Olympus equivalents?
No idea, Blabs. I bought my cameras based on my peer's comments. The D50 has had excellent reviews. I'll be buying one shortly, subject to projected finances :)

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Ive used both the D50 and the Canon 350D and i personally prefered the Canon.
The difference in quality is almost indistinguishable at this level but i found the Canon more user friendly (useful for klutzes like me!)
The advantage of the Nikon though is i believe you can fit 'old' non digital lenses and there is a greater selection of Nikon compatable lenses available.
To be honest though for what it sounds you are going to use it for and the fact you dont have an 'arsenal' of old SLR lenses and if money is an issue i would perhaps go for the cheaper Nikon but i personally prefer the Canon.
One word of advice though - depending on your budget.
Buy the body only -the factory lenses are alright but spend a few quid more and stretch to a compatable Sigma or a second hand better quality lens. For the sake of 30 - 40 quid more than you would pay for the all in one pack you will get better results and much more versatility.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
I have an Olympus C-220 point and shoot digital. For proper piccies I use an Olypus OM2 35mm SLR.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts