Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CAMEROON | Transport in Cameroon

1) RAILWAYS NETWORK IN CAMEROON. 1025 KMS.

The Cameroon railways network has more than 1025 kms, and it is one of the oldest in Africa. It exists since 1911.
The first railway line in Cameroon, DOUALA-NKONGSAMBA was built by German administration ( 1906-1911) during colonization.
The current network consists of:
TRANSCAM 1: DOUALA-YAOUNDE= 262 kms.
TRANSCAM 2: YAOUNDE-NGAOUNDERE= 662 kms.
WESTERN LINE: DOUALA-KUMBA= 101 kms.

This railways network has: 38 stations, 658 works of art, 35 bridges, 3 viaducts, and 3 long tunnels.

Cameroon plans to expand its railways network over the next few years concerning many mining and industrial projects. Here is the map of the future railways network.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Puts Ghana to shame.

When my parents still distrust trains in UK because of growing up in Africa with derailments etc

But your map doesnt show the proposed line to Chad or the deep north of Cameroon

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Puts Ghana to shame.

When my parents still distrust trains in UK because of growing up in Africa with derailments etc

But your map doesnt show the proposed line to Chad or the deep north of Cameroon
Lolol :) Sorry popa1980, I forgot to put the map of the railway extension project to far north of Cameroon and Ndjaména in Chad in a few years.

Here is the full map of the project.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cameroon has a very good railway system are they expanding it ?
Thank you, zimbo1, for your nice message :). Indeed, Cameroon is going to expand its railway system.
About 1650 kms will be added to the 1025 kms current network.
Here future sections:

- From the KRIBI DEEP SEAPORT to the IRON MINES OF MBALAM (EAST REGION) near the Cameroon-Congo (Brazzaville) border.

- From NGAOUNDERE to NDJAMENA (CHAD).
- From KRIBI to EDEA.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YAOUNDE AND DOUALA RAILWAYS STATIONS IN 1947.

YAOUNDE, FORMER RAILWAYS STATION IN 1947.

DOUALA, FORMER RAILWAYS STATION IN 1947.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Impressive pictures.
Actually I have never seen a network in a good shape in subsaharan Africa.
Rolling stock and stations seem to be new and/or well maintained.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Impressive pictures.
Actually I have never seen a network in a good shape in subsaharan Africa.
Rolling stock and stations seem to be new and/or well maintained.
Thank you for your nice message, D K. Indeed, Cameroon railways network is very well maintened. Railways stations, trains , etc.... are very clean and very well maintened.:):):)

1 - 20 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.