Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I'd say it's inevitable. Could be 50-100 years from now, but this area will get them eventually, if the Olympics themselves survive.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If it is shared with Washington, then yes. The same thing with the World Cup.

It'll be interesting to see how the Grand Prix goes off next year. I have my doubts that it will actually happen.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Washington will at some point, though I think it's a good 30-50 years off, and Baltimore will play the role of helpful sidekick in hosting a number of events.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Interesting question, but the larger question is the whole Olympic concept. The cost of staging the games has been escalating at a rate that far exceeds the growth of economies and incomes. Like the military budget, if you extend the trend lines, you realize that they are unsustainable. Given the precedent of the last summer games in China, where large numbers of people were evicted from neighborhoods, cars banned from the city to reduce pollution, and unfathomable resources expended on buildings, you have to wonder when this all comes back to earth. Considering the cost of labor and resources in the US, it's hard to imagine how we could pay for the Summer Olympics. It might be easier for us to refrigerate the entire State, build a ski mountain on the waterfront and vie for the cheaper Winter Olympics.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I could see the Olympics, at some point, broken up. The various sports that are contested could be held all over the world, reducing the impact on any one location. All the facilities that have been built could be re-used. Maybe have Opening and Closing ceremonies in a large city, and fly the competitors to wherever the venue might be. With the world connected by the internet and satellite TV as it is today, it may no longer be necessary to have it in one place.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
Washington will at some point, though I think it's a good 30-50 years off, and Baltimore will play the role of helpful sidekick in hosting a number of events.
these are my thoughts exactly. if d.c. does eventually get the games, baltimore would benefit from this greatly. the $$$$$-figures would be astronomical...

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
In the failed 2016 bid, several of the venues were to be in the Baltimore area. One of the strengths of the Wash/Balt proposal was the presence of so many already built facilities. If the bid had won, one of the few major construction projects would have been a new arena in Baltimore.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
^^^^^^^^i'm not sure if micrip currently has a link for what he's referring to, but I do remember the Baltimore-washington committee stating that a new arena deal was going to be in place for charm city if the games were gonna' be awarded to us. if I remember correctly, it was going to be in the spot where the convention center hotel is now....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I think that Atlanta can do it Baltimore can do it. I feel like people forget how small Atlanta is and how must of a economic boom that was for that City.

Regional Support- I could certainly see the Baltimore REGION (Towson, Woodlawn, Catonsville, Whitemarsh, etc) being able to hold a games.

Use/Expansion of College Facilities- Especially if you factor in we have all these college (Coppin, Morgan, Hopkins, Loyola, Towson, UMBC) that would love to get some 'olympic level' sports facilities.

We have the infrastructure... Kinda or at least the need

*We could get that new arena we need
*Baseball at Camden Yards
*Hummm maybe Baltimore can get a football stadium with a dome? Maybe Who knows

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I think that Atlanta can do it Baltimore can do it. I feel like people forget how small Atlanta is and how must of a economic boom that was for that City.

Regional Support- I could certainly see the Baltimore REGION (Towson, Woodlawn, Catonsville, Whitemarsh, etc) being able to hold a games.

Use/Expansion of College Facilities- Especially if you factor in we have all these college (Coppin, Morgan, Hopkins, Loyola, Towson, UMBC) that would love to get some 'olympic level' sports facilities.

We have the infrastructure... Kinda or at least the need

*We could get that new arena we need
*Baseball at Camden Yards
*Hummm maybe Baltimore can get a football stadium with a dome? Maybe Who knows
If the Soccer stadium and the Arena/Convention center are build I'd say Baltimore would have a decent shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts