SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know could Jacksonville Florida become a Hip hop Spot like Houston Texas and Atlanta I feel it can by some of the talent I heard in J'ville one of my favorite groups there is this group called ASAMOV. What do you fans of hip hop think?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back in the mid 90's (93-97) it was. 95 South, 69 Boyz, Quad City DJs, DJ Trans are all Jacksonville but the party was over when the party rap scene died out in the late 90's.

It's possible we may have a year or two again where Jacksonville makes a sizable impact again but it's doubtful that it mainstains any major status as such.

The new St Johns Hotel and Residence will contain and high end recording studio so that may help things get started.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have some talent in the city though. Young Cash is signed to universal and they have an artist by the name of Swordz who is dope and they have the group Asamov. You can find talent in the Jacksonville FLorida hip hop scene at 904hiphop.com they also have a myspace page. One of hip hop's newest magazines titled street cred magazine set up shop in Jacksonville due to the fact they feel it's a city on the rise. They were going to go to atlanta or orlando but settled in J'ville after hearing some of their local artist. It's a lot of talent in the area which is one of the reasons I want to move to Jacksonville from Los Angeles to work with the talent there not to mention I love the city and I'm happy to see labels are starting to focus on J'ville now. Watch out for J'ville in the near future their hip hop scene is on the rise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh yea! Jacksonville could become a hip hop spot. We've seen some things happen in Jacksonville no one would've believed ten or fifteen years ago. Just takes time!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUVAL'S FINEST BREAK OUT ON PRESTIGIOUS WHO'S WHO LIST
URB NEXT 100
April 2006

April 1st, 2006 (Jacksonville, FL) - In what has topped off a storybook year for the Florida based hip-hop group, Asamov was named to the highly prestigious URB NEXT 100 list just announced and to be published in April's issue of URB magazine. The fab four who are currently headlining their first national tour were reportedly surprised and pleased with the news of being included in this year's list which rightfully places them into an elite group of 'who's who' for national acts. The URB mention called "Asamov one of the best new groups" for 2006 and called their debut album "And Now..." one of the best for '05.

The accolades continue to roll in for Asamov as their critically acclaimed debut was also named album of the year by HIPHOPSITE.com, and the group was recently featured on Myspace Music last December as well. Their debut album "And Now..." has an all-star cast of features including J-Live, Wordsworth, Mr. LIF, Akrobatik, and 6 Hole Records label mate 9th Wonder who produced the b-side to the group's 2nd single "Boombox" called "Real Good."

With the industry patiently watching, Asamov's follow up to "And Now..." is in the early stages of production, but is already being considered one of the most highly anticipated sophomore releases in the underground scene for 2006 as being named to the URB 100 NEXT list would attest to. Guest appearances are rumored to include....well, you'll just have to wait to find that out...Stay tuned to 904HipHip.com for more major Asamov news!

Click

JOEY CA$H SPEAKS ON "THE DEAL," MONEY, AND WHAT TO EXPECT FOR 2006
"I think Florida finna blow up how Texas did, the same way..." - JC

Article & Photos
by Julia Beverly

For anybody who doesn't know your background, can you explain how you came into the game?
I started out with the 904 Click when I was like 17. It was me, my brother, and my cousin in the group. We were making some noise in Jacksonville, and Tye Dash came down on a promo run with some bullshit ass New York group. We owned a club at the time called Choices. We performed that night and he started hollerin' at us. Ever since we had a little buzz. Then my brother Vic got shot on his birthday. We were supposed to do a show that night but Vic got shot that's when everything started falling apart.

How were you able to keep things moving after Vic was shot?
I had to become the leader because I was the only one still around. My brother was in the hospital for six months and my cousin went to prison. So I was really forced to take up things on my own. I started doing some little shit by myself. Everybody had always told me that out of my group, I was gonna be the one to do my solo thing. That's what the streets was already saying, 'cause I use to come up with most of the hooks for the 904 Click. It wasn't that I was ready, I was kinda of forced to...

How did you link up with the rest of the artist that's in your crew?
Really these are just *****s I used to be with in the streets. Real *****s don't wanna be hustling just to be hustling. You know the consequences are either prison or death. You got to hustle to get something, make that illegal money into legal money. These *****s I **** with now are the same *****s I was running with in the streets. They're like employees now. Everybody has a different job title.

You're signed with SRC/Universal now, right? How did your deal come about?
The deal came about through "Gimme A Bottle." I had a vision for a club song so I came out with that song and just kept going to different cities. My name was already strong and *****s was ****'n with me. I just get along with everybody. Every time a DJ played my shit, I'd throw money in the crowd, like $400-$500 of $1s. That's how I built that song up in every city. When DJs play my shit, I throw money in the crowd. That's my marketing strategy - money! Money motivates everybody.

What do you think is gonna happen for Florida in 2006?
I think Florida finna represent. We ain't never really had nothing besides Trick Dadd that went worldwide. T-Pain is really a rapper anyway, before he was a singer they had a little buzz through the Nappy Headz. The Florida rap scene been bubbling, *****s just had to get the machine behind them. I think Florida finna blow up how Texas did, the same way.

Is your crew still the 904 Click?
Yeah, it's still the 904 Click. I'm still in the 904 Click. Me and my white homeboy $J, AKA Dirk Diggla, we shopping a deal together too. We got a group called Money Train. We working on some things right now. I've got a lot of things coming up. Me and T-Pain finna drop a "Best of Both Counties: Duval & Leon County" mixtape. Me and Shawn Jay are gonna do a mixtape too. That's like my big brother.

watch out for Jacksonville Florida.
I posted this article on Young Cash he's an artist signed to universal and is from Jacksonville Florida.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts