Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A common theme has emerged with random sized vertical lines on buildings. I was wondering if there is a name for it?

Beetham Tower

Reflections Condominiums

CITIC Pacific HQ & Mandarin Hotel

Penfield

Anyone have more pictures of buildings with this similar facade?

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
There is no such thing as an architectural style associated with cladding types. The shape and decoration usually dictates this.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
I think it is just "last decade trendy", to be honest. We are emerging from a period of highly decorative novelty architecture where "Function Follows Form", and I predict we will soon be entering a more disciplined phase where there will be no need for office towers to lean, split, twist or look like household or bedroom objects. Restrained understatement may replace "Look At Me" neediness.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like to call it "Somebody ate hamburger soup for lunch and decided to vomit its pretty colors all over the place and stick the clumps of it together to make some ugly building-architecture".

·
Tan
4,327 Posts
Reflections Condominiums
its just a cheap way to make boring building forms look interesting. why in strips? because cutting cladding into triangles or other shapes would cost more, this is just the way to go to make facades look wonderfully random.:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts