SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be really cool to get a new sub forum for the South-Central states that honestly have very little to do with the Deep Southeast. What is the relation between Dallas and Columbia, SC? There's not one.

TX, OK, AR, and LA should be separated and included in their own forum like on SkyscraperPage. And with cities like Dallas, OKC, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Tulsa, Little Rock, and more, it would surely be a very active forum.. hopefully one with less animosity, too. Since most people in the South Central have been to a lot of that region's cities, while such is not the case for the Southeast and vice versa. There are a lot of cities included in the "South" but really in the South-Central states that I can tell most people here have never been to, and it's frustrating, leads to a lot of misperceptions, rude stereotypes back and forth, and so on.

Yes we all seceded long ago (including all of Indian Territory), but what would have been the Confederacy would have been a large country on its own with several regions just like the Union. We shouldn't just be lumped into one region. The separation is as bold as that between New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would support this. I get tired of dozens of conversations about Charlote and other places. The news is more intresting when it doesnt come as often.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
What's the difference in me getting tired of the dozens of Charlotte threads and you getting tired of the dozens of Charlotte threads? I'm just as interested in Houston news as I am in Charlotte news...

Some people are going to argue and cause disturbances no matter what the subject...because that's the way they are. There is nothing to stop someone from one region from visiting and commenting in the threads of another region. It would help if people didn't make negative and unecessary comments, especially when they really don't know what they are talking about. I mean, I know that it will cause a problem if I decide to go into a Miami thread and say "Miami is full of new, empty towers and Miami sucks"...there is no reason for that comment and it's not even factual. By the way I happen to LOVE Miami. :)

·
NorthofSCborder
26 Posts
Why is it when someone complains its always "Charlotte" that seems to garner so much haterade. As I recall there are more threads dedicated to other states and cities in this forum than Charlotte.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well charlotte is like the perfect example of saturated news. Its not the only city.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Why is it when someone complains its always "Charlotte" that seems to garner so much haterade. As I recall there are more threads dedicated to other states and cities in this forum than Charlotte.
Don't get your panties in a wad...Charlotte was the example used in the post prior to mine...it could have been any city. It wasn't about any particular city. I used Miami and Houston as examples too...and I have nothing bad to say about any of those cities.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I think Alabama belongs in this new forum as well. The Southeast Forum hates us. It's so apparent.:wave:

Alabama is the state everyone loves to hate. It's always been that way and you can put our sister - Mississippi there as well. We are not considered Southeastern.

·
8,235 Posts
I nominate Charlotte and Raleigh get kicked out. They won't quit hogging it all. :cry: :rant: Did I mention I hate Alabama and Mississippi too? :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im sorry to teel you this but East Texas is the "South" in it's truest form. Just as much so as GA,AL,MS, or LA. I will not argue that Houston has lost that feel as it has grown (just as Atlanta has) but take a drive 30 min north on U.S. 59 and tell me that East Texas should not be considerded as the south. Anyone who would try to argue otherwise has obviously never been.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right, TX, OK, AR, and LA are part of the South. But they're not part of the Southeast, nor are they part of the Southwest. It should be called South-Central.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
I love the Charlotte updates. I check this forum for photos and construction updates of Charlotte often. I will say Texas and Oklahoma are Southwest and not Southeast. Texas and Arizona share more in common than Texas and Virginia. Most people in the region will say they are Southwest. You can see it in the terrain and history of the region. If the region is divided with a South Central, then maybe a Mid-Atlantic region could be added for Maryland, D.C., Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina? I will say I only visit and post on the section of the forum with North Carolina and Georgia in it. It takes too much time to visit every section of a forum like this. Traffic potential will drop for threads if this larger forum section is divided into two or three smaller forum sections and I do look at many of the threads from Oklahoma and Texas.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yeah, I think Alabama belongs in this new forum as well. The Southeast Forum hates us. It's so apparent.:wave:

Alabama is the state everyone loves to hate. It's always been that way and you can put our sister - Mississippi there as well. We are not considered Southeastern.
Id have to disagree Vulcan. I think we have more in common with states like Georgia, North and South Carolina than we do with Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

But I would have to be in agreement for the creation of a South-Central fourm. Maybe we can get back to the business of talking and promoting urban development, instead of having pissing contests.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Id have to disagree Vulcan. I think we have more in common with states like Georgia, North and South Carolina than we do with Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

But I would have to be in agreement for the creation of a South-Central fourm. Maybe we can get back to the business of talking and promoting urban development, instead of having pissing contests.
Do you really think a separation of forums would stop the pissing contests? I would bet that the same people would be arguing and pissing no matter how the forum is divided.

I don't really see what it matters about states having anything in common. States like Georgia and South Carolina have geography in common, but Georgia is twice S.C.'s size in area and population. S.C. has the beaches that really identify the state to many people...while Georgia has very few beaches on its coast. Alabama next door to Georgia has the Gulf Coast, which creates an identity with Mississippi, Louisianna, Florida and Texas. A case could be made for both sides I guess...but eventually we would just end up breaking everything down by individual states.

·
history craver
569 Posts

:lol: Wow.......you really have low self esteem, cupcake.
Where do you get the impression that everyone hates Alabama? :weirdo:
I would say that AL is more Southeastern than Southcentral. Mississippi is kinda pushing it though.
And yes....TX, AR, LA and OK are Southcentral not Southeast.

·
Registered
506 Posts
:lol: Wow.......you really have low self esteem, cupcake.
Where do you get the impression that everyone hates Alabama? :weirdo:
I would say that AL is more Southeastern than Southcentral. Mississippi is kinda pushing it though.
And yes....TX, AR, LA and OK are Southcentral not Southeast.
just being facetious candypants - chillout.

It’s such a ridiculous comment – did not think you would take it so seriously. Alabama is the quintessential Southeastern state – the core of the Southeast – along w/ Georgia, Florida and South Carolina. The Heart of Dixie........

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do you really think a separation of forums would stop the pissing contests? I would bet that the same people would be arguing and pissing no matter how the forum is divided.

I don't really see what it matters about states having anything in common. States like Georgia and South Carolina have geography in common, but Georgia is twice S.C.'s size in area and population. S.C. has the beaches that really identify the state to many people...while Georgia has very few beaches on its coast. Alabama next door to Georgia has the Gulf Coast, which creates an identity with Mississippi, Louisianna, Florida and Texas. A case could be made for both sides I guess...but eventually we would just end up breaking everything down by individual states.
Maybe, maybe not, but I guess we have to remember that at the end of the day this forum is not life or death. It is informative, and somewhat entertaining, and it gives average people the chance to shine a light on a particular metro. The "hot" metro currently is Charlotte, six months from now it could be Nashville, Birmingham, Little Rock, or maybe even Sheveport. Point is that metro A could have more going on than Metro B, but that doesnt mean metro B cant have as many threads as Metro A. Like it or not its up to us to promote the places we like and love.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The problem with saying that the "hot" metro is Charlotte, is that nobody west of the Mississippi River really cares, or has any relation to Charlotte's "hotness" -- we're all too enamored with the "hotness" of Austin and Houston, which we know you all don't care about. Proof that the overgeneralization of the ENTIRE South into one big forum like what we have here is that there is practically NO Austin or Houston representation on this forum.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Louisiana has much more in common with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina than it does with Texas or Oklahoma. Louisiana is as southern as it gets and it's part of the old south and should be with the southeast. Baton Rouge and New Orleans are located east of the Mississippi River. Planatations, old mansions, cotton fields, sugar cane fields, slavery, tons of civil war history, reconstruction period, steam boats, mississippi river, off shore boats, the ocean, and southern accents are part of Louisiana's history. That's why LSU has played in the SEC for the last 75 years.

You said "yes we all seceded long ago". Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas declared secession in the 1860's but Oklahoma did not. That's because Oklahoma wasn't even a state back then. OK became a state in 1907 and the civil war ended in 1865. NO, the indian territotry did not seceded, lol.

Honestly I can see lumping in Texas and Oklahoma into a southcentral group along with New Mexico, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska But Oklahoma shouldn't be in this forum b/c the state has no southern tradition/southern history what so ever. It's a midwest/plain state not southern.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.