SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats the feeling amongst our soccer fans are the Aussies good enough to beat one of the better european teams on our home turf?

Should be a great sporting spectacle anyways with the revamed MCG almost to the 100,000 mark.
Go Aussies!

·
Registered
187 Posts
i think that its going to be a good match, aussies will win 1-0.... mainly because i think the crowd at the G is going to be quite intimidating for the greeks even tho half the crowd will be following them :) looking forward to getting down to fed sq to watch it on the big screen as i missed out on a ticket :(

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Greece in 2004 - Won the Euro Championship.
Greece in 2006 - Failed to qualify for the World Cup.

They are going to end up on the ass end of an ass kicking!:p

On a side note, can we start calling the team 'Australia', we gotta be the only team in the competition to a.)give ourselves a nickname and b.) make it sound like an under 12's school team.

Australia v Greece - I predict Australia 2:1 Greece.

G

·
auslankan said:
Whats the feeling amongst our soccer fans are the Aussies good enough to beat one of the best european teams on our home turf?

Should be a great sporting spectacle ahyways with the revamed MCG almost to the 100,000 mark.
Go Aussies!

Very questionable. Not even in the top 10 European teams.

England, Holland, Spain, Ireland, France, Portugal, Germany, Sweden, Czech Republic, Ukraine etc

Think your probably win, but more importantly I have you down for a quarter final appearence at this years world cup :)

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Locke said:
On a side note, can we start calling the team 'Australia', we gotta be the only team in the competition to a.)give ourselves a nickname and b.) make it sound like an under 12's school team.
well I'm sure there are other local names for respective national football teams. I remember in Belgium there were called Les Diables Rouges (The Red Devils), any many others. But there's just so much Australian national football teams you have to distuingish it, and there's no way people would waste saying "Australia's national rugby union team" or "Australian national football squad".

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
I don't think we should distinguish it, I think if you are at a (european) football match you'll know where you are. Keep it simple, like all the great teams... Australia! Just like Enger-land, Bra-zil! Ar-gen-tina Ar-gen-tina! etc etc.

Socceroos sounds so lame, it's gotta go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Socceroos - Australia, Les Blues - France, Azzurri - Italy. It's just a nickname, who cares, at least it's not as bad as Soca Warriors (Trinidad and Tobago) ;)

Anyway, it seems Greece have had a 2 year hangover since winning Euro, they're not the team they were.

Australia 2 - 0 Greece.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
dynamoultraclean said:
What's with the crowd heckling Bracks for calling the game soccer? I mean, we are the SOCCERoos, not Footballoos...
It's the same people that think that soccer has absolute rights to the name "football" and all the other codes can get stuffed, despite having been around for just as long.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah in soccer you actually use your feet so i call it football. But i'm a little upset that those greek guys who live in australia go for greece! We might as well dump them in international waters!

·
Registered
633 Posts
As long as we're in Australia, soccer will be called soccer. If we're in Victoria AFL is football. In NSW and Queensland, football is rugby/league. They need to get over it.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Locke said:
Greece in 2004 - Won the Euro Championship.
Greece in 2006 - Failed to qualify for the World Cup.
Greece in 2005/2006 - Had one of the toughest Groups in Europe.
;)
Lets not forget it happens to many Euro Champs, the hangover lasts 2 years. Greece also beat France, Czech Republic and Portugal twice. Dont be so quick to write them off.

I dont care who wins, It will be a good match but with Samaras up forward I think Greece will win 1-0.

The crowd wont be anymore initimidating to the Greeks as it will be to the Aussies so the game will be even.

I cant see Australia beating a European side but you never know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
umm hey guys i need something for my hsc work i just need to know. umm whats the increase of fans of the socceroos since australia has qualified for the world cup??

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Used to struggle to fill Olympic Park and now they pack the MCG at $100 a ticket.

You do the math.

The bandwagon is running on a V8 engine all the way to Berlin.

·
Registered
533 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
The bandwagon is running on a V8 engine all the way to Berlin.
sorry for being a nerd, but, Australia does not play in Berlin. We play our group matches in Kaiserlautern (v Japan), Munich (v Brazil) and Stuttgart (v Croatia). But i think I knew what you meant! ;)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts