Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows, Statistics Canada conducts a nationwide census every five years. As 2011 comes by soon, i think it would appropriate starting a thread discussing the impact this might have on us for the following months. In 2006, Canada's population was estimated around 31,612,897 which was lower than previously thought. Statistics Canada predicts now that our population will reach around 34.5 million people in 2011.
Please discuss your thoughts and opinions about this. Post relating news to this topic and give your own predictions.
Thank you!

·
39,827 Posts
I find city data very misleading if you don't realize how a metropolitan area is subdivided. To someone who didn't know better, they'd think that Winnipeg is a bigger place than Vancouver based on that top 10 list above. The reality is that Vancouver is subdivided into smaller parts. CMAs are the way to go:

My 2011 prediction for CMAs:
01. Toronto
02. Montréal
03. Vancouver
04. Calgary
05. Ottawa

06. Edmonton
07. Quebec City
08. Winnipeg
09. Hamilton
10. Kitchener-Waterloo

(Calgary will move ahead of Ottawa, while Kitchener-Waterloo will pass London)

·
2,592 Posts
I find city data very misleading if you don't realize how a metropolitan area is subdivided. To someone who didn't know better, they'd think that Winnipeg is a bigger place than Vancouver based on that top 10 list above. The reality is that Vancouver is subdivided into smaller parts. CMAs are the way to go:

01. Toronto
02. Montréal
03. Vancouver
04. Calgary
05. Ottawa

06. Edmonton
07. Quebec City
08. Winnipeg
09. Hamilton
10. Kitchener-Waterloo

Sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Didn't want to make a new thread, but has anybody had experience working with the census before? I'm going in to write the test on Wednesday. I'd like to know whether people liked it or not. It pays pretty well compared to what I am used to.
$13/hr? I got an interview already, not sure if I'm going to make it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
01. Toronto
02. Montréal
03. Vancouver
04. Calgary
05. Ottawa
06. Edmonton
07. Quebec City
08. Winnipeg
09. Hamilton
10. Kitchener-Waterloo

In 2010, population estimates put K-W ahead of London's metro population by 200 people. The dogfight for the #10 spot will be close indeed.

Then again London doesn't have a metro so it makes no sense to compare these two cities with this ranking system.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
i did the test last month for supervisor they told me i would get a phone interview within the next week and nothing - but at the same time i finally got a seat in school in june so i couldn't take the job probably

but the test itself was pretty poorly organized and didn't seem very professional

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I filled out my census today, and I hope that all of you will as well. Additionally, be sure to check off the box at the end that allows the information within to be made available after 92 years. While this may not seem important to you at the time, for researchers of the future these census reports are incredibly valuable.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.