SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ottawa, July 13, 2009 — Beginning 12:01 a.m. EDT on July 14, 2009, Mexican nationals will require a visa to travel to Canada, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced today. For the first 48 hours, Mexican citizens may apply for entry on arrival in Canada. After 11:59 p.m. EDT July 15, 2009, a visa will be required.

Refugee claims from Mexico have almost tripled since 2005, making it the number one source country for claims. In 2008, more than 9,400 claims filed in Canada came from Mexican nationals, representing 25 per cent of all claims received. Of the Mexican claims reviewed and finalized in 2008 by the Immigration and Refugee Board, an independent administrative tribunal, only 11 per cent were accepted.

“In addition to creating significant delays and spiraling new costs in our refugee program, the sheer volume of these claims is undermining our ability to help people fleeing real persecution,” said Minister Kenney. “All too often, people who really need Canada’s protection find themselves in a long line, waiting for months and sometimes years to have their claims heard. This is unacceptable.

“The visa requirement I am announcing will give us a greater ability to manage the flow of people into Canada and verify bona fides. By taking this important step towards reducing the burden on our refugee system, we will be better equipped to process genuine refugee claims faster.”

“The visa process will allow us to assess who is coming to Canada as a legitimate visitor and who might be trying to use the refugee system to jump the immigration queue,” Minister Kenney said. “It is not fair for those who have been waiting patiently to come to Canada, sometimes for years, when others succeed in bypassing our immigration system.”

Canada regularly reviews its visa policies toward other countries. Countries are aware that if they do not satisfy the conditions of a visa-exemption, a visa may be imposed.

This change means that nationals from Mexico who want to travel to Canada will first need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa and meet the requirements to receive one. It is up to the applicant to satisfy the visa officer their visit to Canada is temporary, they will not overstay their approved time in Canada, they have enough money to cover their stay in Canada, they are in good health, they do not have a criminal record, and are not a security risk to Canadians. These requirements are the same for anyone who wants to visit Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has been working to increase processing capacity in Mexico City. Nevertheless, the imposition of the visa will mean short-term delays in travel as CIC puts resources in place. Applicants are encouraged to send their applications by courier or registered mail and to avoid visiting the Embassy unless specifically invited for an interview.

“Canada has strong ties with Mexico,” said Minister Kenney. “We continue to welcome all genuine travellers to Canada from this country.”

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?m=/index&nid=466839

--------------------------------------------------------------

What's your opinion on this, guys?

This personally has a direct impact on me, because I just started processing my permanent residence, which automatically results in a denial of a Tourist Visa from the Canadian embassy because nothing will guarantee them that I'll leave the country. So goodbye visiting Canada for a year or two :(

On the other hand, I don't blame them. They have total justification in doing so and the only ones to blame are the Mexicans that try to take advantage of the system. But man that hit me hard.

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,357 Posts
Now - imagine replacing the word 'Canada' with the words 'The United States of America' in the above post....

:eek:

Mike

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Not really surprising ... although their primary concern should be to get the Canadian high commisions in foreign countries in order. I have heard of very corrupt low level and high level officials in those places that probably are a big cause for concern.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really surprising ... although their primary concern should be to get the Canadian high commisions in foreign countries in order. I have heard of very corrupt low level and high level officials in those places that probably are a big cause for concern.
Yeah, and not only that, the thing is that in Canada's case, only the embassy is allowed to issue Visas of any kind, whereas the USA can issue Visas from any consulate. Mexico is by no means a small country, at least by international standards, and having to travel to Mexico City from Tijuana or Cancun is a pain in the ass, not to mention expensive and an extra burden on the traveler.

If Canada could issue Visas from consulates then things wouldn't be so bad, I personally know now of three fellow forumers who cancelled their trips to Canada already for this exact reason.

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Anyway how can people claim refugee status if they are from mexico? :crazy:

As far as i Know there is no war, no regime or famine in Mexico therefore

how could someone possibly claim refugee status?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't see any Mexcian in Metro Vancouver.
I'd tend to agree Mexicans are relatively few here, especially compared to just over the border but I think there has been some growth here in recent years, at least in terms of temporary students and labourers. I met several Mexican students while at UBC and there are often packs of young Latin American males (ESL students) roaming around downtown, though I can never tell if they're Mexican vs Columbian etc. And of course many of the Mexican restaurants around town are operated by real Mexicans (thankfully). I also recall some articles from a year or two ago about a jump in Mexican migrant/seasonal workers filling farming/construction-oriented jobs in BC when the unemployment rates were so low.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Did you read the article?

Anyone can apply for a refugee status, heck even Americans apply for refugee status in Canada. The reasons may vary, and the government has an obligation (UN resolution) to give you a hearing, which normally takes months, sometimes a little over a year, in that time many of them (not just Mexicans) go on welfare, take advantage of the National Health Care, and pretty much just leech of the government.

Australia is so badass when it comes to refugee cases lol. If you arrive in Australia and then make a refugee claim, they arrest you and send you to the middle of the desert in that they call "Detention Centre" and you stay there until the day of your hearing, where they determine to either let you stay or kick you out.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't see any Mexcian in Metro Vancouver.
The thing is, most of the Mexicans who actually go to Canada are middle to upper class citizens in their own country, if they're not there on temporary student visas or work permits, then they're using the refugee system, they're well aware of how it works and they do it because they're lazy punks who don't wanna do anything.

Many Mexicans blend in with the Canadian population, you've probably seen many but didn't realize that they were Mexicans, especially middle to upper class ones tend to have more European ancestry and don't look like the average Mexican pictured in the movies. The Mexicans entering the USA come generally from the poorer states in the Southeastern part of Mexico and thus have a predominant Indigenous ancestry.

So if you're expecting the Mexicans over there to look like your typical short dark guy with a big ass sombrero drinking tequila in front of Home Depot or the classical Chicano ganster speaking spanglish, then you're out of luck lol.

·
In mourning
97,448 Posts
I like Mexican people, they are very polite and hard workers. When I was in LA., I saw there were many mexican worked in the restaurants and supermarkets and I can tell you that no other people can work as fast and good as they are. The Mexican girls are pretty hot as well. :)

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Did you read the article?

Anyone can apply for a refugee status, heck even Americans apply for refugee status in Canada. The reasons may vary, and the government has an obligation (UN resolution) to give you a hearing, which normally takes months, sometimes a little over a year, in that time many of them (not just Mexicans) go on welfare, take advantage of the National Health Care, and pretty much just leech of the government.

Australia is so badass when it comes to refugee cases lol. If you arrive in Australia and then make a refugee claim, they arrest you and send you to the middle of the desert in that they call "Detention Centre" and you stay there until the day of your hearing, where they determine to either let you stay or kick you out.
But what's the point of going through those hearings? if you do not have grounds to claim refugee status you will be kicked out eventually whether you like it or not

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But what's the point of going through those hearings? if you do not have grounds to claim refugee status you will be kicked out eventually whether you like it or not
Exactly, the thing is, these people with false claims will normally live on welfare, and work under the table without paying taxes, saving as much money as they can, they get their hearing after a year or more, takes a few months to get the decision by mail, if it's a no, it can go through an appealing process, which will guarantee you another six months in the country or so, then if it also gets denied, you can file a claim under humanitarian and compassionate grounds, which will take another 4 - 6 months, AND if that one also gets denied, you apply for a PRRA (Pre- Removal Risk Assesment) which will take another few months, and after they finally deny you over there, you have a month to leave the country, so if you really look at it, that person will have spent a little over 3 years in Canada leeching off the system and saving up money, which will be enough to do something back home, maybe putting a business or whatever.

That's why they do it, the system is just too weak and people find a gap and take advantage. Canada should learn from Australia in this regard.

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
^^ well how come they have so many loopholes for those types of people
but there is not even one loophole for people like me with education and job experience? :nuts:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Middle class Mexicans are one of the largest growing groups of tourist for Canada. And if they aren't tourists, guess who picks the peaches etc. that end up in the supermarket.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Make up that you have a bogus disease, like a mental illness or something, and then claim that you can't get good medical care for it in Mexico. :nuts:

See thread http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=895220

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Canada imposes a visa on Mexico ... and the Czech Republic too!! And in retaliation the Czech Republic slaps one on us and calls back their ambassador.

... good thing I went to Prague in May. :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts