SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im an australian, and as u can imagine we dont get much news from canada down here, I was just wondering if u could bring me up to speed with the complications arising in canada with quebec? I have a few queries.

1. Is quebec attempting to form an independent state, isolated from canada?

2.What will the political and economical ramifications of such a split?

3.Will this increase or hamper growth for the newly formed canada.

4.what are some of the local views on this issue.

Cheers

P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Principes said:
Hi, im an australian, and as u can imagine we dont get much news from canada down here, I was just wondering if u could bring me up to speed with the complications arising in canada with quebec? I have a few queries.

1. Is quebec attempting to form an independent state, isolated from canada?

2.What will the political and economical ramifications of such a split?

3.Will this increase or hamper growth for the newly formed canada.

4.what are some of the local views on this issue.

Cheers

P.
Well, actually all you have to do is peruse through this sub-forum and all your questions will be answered. Assuming you take a side anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Principes said:
Hi, im an australian, and as u can imagine we dont get much news from canada down here, I was just wondering if u could bring me up to speed with the complications arising in canada with quebec? I have a few queries.

1. Is quebec attempting to form an independent state, isolated from canada?
Yes and no. One of the biggest debates during the referendums is whether quebec would still be able to take advantage of many of the benefits that Canada has, such as still using our dollar and passports. Quebec separatists said yes they could, the federal government said no they couldn't. The referendum question was vague in the sense that it stated "do you want to negotiate a new deal for Quebec's position in Canada?"

Many other countries (in particular the USA) said that they would not honour things like NAFTA, etc for quebec if they separated. Many countries also said they would not negotiate with quebec, as they would still see them as Canada. So most countries wouldn't have a quebec embassy, but would not be able to use the Canadian one, either.
Principes said:
2.What will the political and economical ramifications of such a split?
There was a lot of bickering about things such as Canada's debt, which is in the federal government's name, but would make it extremely hard to pay off without quebec there to gather taxes from, anymore. This would have to force the rest of the country to dissolve canada as to not be ruined economically, but it would destroy our reputations as it would be a cop-out. See the problem? This would have reprecussions for the world economy. Canada is a G8 country, remember.
Principes said:
3.Will this increase or hamper growth for the newly formed canada.
Debt asside, it would actually most likely be better for the rest of canada economically. Quebec is a high spending province with a large debt while the rest of canada is more moderate. The rest of the country would have more to spend on themselves (per capita).

Principes said:
4.what are some of the local views on this issue.
My Canada includes Quebec. It's like asking to cut off your baby toe (though they're bigger and more important), it's still something you don't want to lose, as it's part of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
hylaride said:
There was a lot of bickering about things such as Canada's debt, which is in the federal government's name, but would make it extremely hard to pay off without quebec there to gather taxes from, anymore. This would have to force the rest of the country to dissolve canada as to not be ruined economically, but it would destroy our reputations as it would be a cop-out. See the problem? This would have reprecussions for the world economy. Canada is a G8 country, remember.
What are you talking about? It would be easier to pay off our debt if we didn't have to pay Quebec tons of money in equalization payments every year. They would be the ones in economic ruin as they would no longer have massive subsidies paid in by Alberta and Ontario, as well, millions would leave Quebec, causing their housing markets to collapse, as well as their industries.

The only reason Quebec threatens seperation is because that gets them MORE MONEY! I wish we had a PM who would actually give Quebecers what they want. Then they would come running back and negotiate under our terms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
sk8rboiiii said:
What are you talking about? It would be easier to pay off our debt if we didn't have to pay Quebec tons of money in equalization payments every year. They would be the ones in economic ruin as they would no longer have massive subsidies paid in by Alberta and Ontario, as well, millions would leave Quebec, causing their housing markets to collapse, as well as their industries.

The only reason Quebec threatens seperation is because that gets them MORE MONEY! I wish we had a PM who would actually give Quebecers what they want. Then they would come running back and negotiate under our terms.
?? In relative terms, equalization is loose change compared to the national debt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Hey Avril lover...

Grow up and get an education! Millions would not leave the province.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
sk8rboiiii said:
What are you talking about? It would be easier to pay off our debt if we didn't have to pay Quebec tons of money in equalization payments every year. They would be the ones in economic ruin as they would no longer have massive subsidies paid in by Alberta and Ontario, as well, millions would leave Quebec, causing their housing markets to collapse, as well as their industries.

The only reason Quebec threatens seperation is because that gets them MORE MONEY! I wish we had a PM who would actually give Quebecers what they want. Then they would come running back and negotiate under our terms.
If there was no or little debt, you'd be absolutely right. However, the money that gets sucked out of the have provinces is not enough to cover almost 1/3rd of the country leaving in terms of the interest that must be paid on the debt. On top of that, Quebec doen't get all the money that leaves ontario and alberta, it goes to the others, as well. But we can't pay off the 40 billion/year in interest the debt requires with quebec gone without significantly raising taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Quebec has 24% of Canada's population, but holds 48% of the national debt. If they vote to separate, they will have to pay off their share of the debt before declaring independence. Furthermore, I will not accept, nor will most Canadians, the idea of an independant Quebec using Canadian passports and currency. That would be such a slap in the face.
I live in Quebec and would love to stay here, however if Quebec separates, I will be the first to leave as I am a very proud Canadian.
Hey Habsfan, there will tens of thousands who will leave, if not hundreds of thousands. A vote for separation will destroy Quebec, not Canada.
One more thing - Is the referendum thing a best of 5 series? If so, you are already losing 2-0. The people have spoken twice, stop subjecting the rest of the country to this bullshit!
 

·
Nid de Poule
Joined
·
773 Posts
Principes said:
1. Is quebec attempting to form an independent state, isolated from canada?


P.

No.

In 1980's referendum 60% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

In 1995's referendum 51% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

Therefore: 2-0
 

·
Nid de Poule
Joined
·
773 Posts
Principes said:
1. Is quebec attempting to form an independent state, isolated from canada?


P.

No.

In 1980's referendum 60% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

In 1995's referendum 51% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

Therefore, Quebec doesn't want to be an independent state, isolated from Canada.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,987 Posts
Separatists feelings in Quebec from what I have seen are the manipulation of a genuine desire to maintain one's culture to create a political movement that attempts to equate such a desire with the need for separation. PQ, by manipulating people feelings of "Quebecois-ness," has made them believe that their French culture and language cannot survive some mysterious onslaught from Anglophone Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
I live in Quebec and would love to stay here, however if Quebec separates, I will be the first to leave as I am a very proud Canadian.
Hey Habsfan, there will tens of thousands who will leave, if not hundreds of thousands. A vote for separation will destroy Quebec, not Canada.
What do you want me to say? Bon Voyage!

Those who wanted to leave, have left already. Most of the ones who stayed behind did so because they wouldn't mind living in Québec once it becomes it s own country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Tosco said:
No.

In 1980's referendum 60% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

In 1995's referendum 51% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

Therefore, Quebec doesn't want to be an independent state, isolated from Canada.
You might wanna get your numbers right!

It was 50.4% YES to 49.6% NO

Imagine what would have happenned if the federal gov't had not poured all that money in the campaign???

I think Québec would have been celebrating its 10th anniversary in Ocotber 2005!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Tosco said:
No.

In 1980's referendum 60% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

In 1995's referendum 51% of quebecers voted "No" to separation.

Therefore, Quebec doesn't want to be an independent state, isolated from Canada.
Si la tendance se maintient...
 

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Lp_Verdun said:
Si la tendance se maintient...

Если тенденция поддержана, то вы потеряете.
 

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
^ LOL. I wasn't the one who started using a foreign language on an English language forum. Or didn't you notice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
oceanmdx said:
^ LOL. I wasn't the one who started using a foreign language on an English language forum. Or didn't you notice?
My apologies Mr. Multicultural, I did'nt think french was a foreign language in Canada. Did'nt meen to get you all worked up there.

I trust Tosco understood what I said, wich btw was the person I was replying to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
habsfan said:
Hey Avril lover...

Grow up and get an education! Millions would not leave the province.
Yes they would. 25% of those who would vote NO said they would leave Quebec IMMEDIATLEY after Quebec were to seperate.

Montreal and Gatineau would be deserted. The West Island, Mount Royal, Westmount, NDP, Hampstead and Cote St. Luc, as well as Downtown, would be Ghost towns.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top